great place to find dvda audio discs

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Both my older Sony’s play all with no issues so far .

C

carlbarry

Audiophyte
Aha! I put in my Ringo 5.1 DVD Audio disc.
It is playing at 48 KHz.
The back cover says:
DVD Disc features audio content ONLY and plays on all DVD players.
To access advanced resolution DVDA option on a DVD-Audio Player is required

So I guess I have my answer: I've been listening to regular DVD audio, not the high resolution. Still sounds very good, and the surround is great.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I recently got Peace Sells but who’s Buying from Megadeath on DVD-A in 5.1 96/24.

On this one the 5.1 MLP 96/24 runs between 7 and 8Mbps on the DVD-Audio format (DVD-A supported devices only)

The 5.1 DTS 96/24 runs at 1.5Mbps if you run the DVD-Video format (this is compatible with all DVD players it says)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was just listening to Legion of Boom DTS-ES by Crystal Method. It sounds great. Now that I have an Atmos setup, I opt for the DVD tracks though because DTS and DD tracks can be processed to add the height channels. MLP and SACD tracks aren't the same so they don't work. Now listening to Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle DTS :cool: Pretty trippy with the heights

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
DVD-AUDIO discs contained a lossy dolby digital track that could be played in a DVD-VIDEO player. A DVD-AUDIO player is necessary for the MLP(Meridian Lossless Packing) multichannel track. It was the early version of Dolby TrueHD. Some of the discs also contained a DTS 24/96 track.
That's inexact. Ordinary DVD player cannot read DVD-A discs. It takes a special decoder circuit to enable a player to play a DVD Audio track.

In the following Wikipedia file, there is no confirmation that some DVD-A disc contained a DTS audio layer:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Did you read the entire piece? It confirms everything in my post. One of the pictured DVD-AUDIO discs below has a DTS track playable in a DVD-VIDEO player while the other has a dolby digital track playable in a DVD-VIDEO player.
52616FDF-6B9E-464C-B0DD-F24F30B5A5EC.jpeg

394A79BA-EEDE-459A-8174-E7B316586D39.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I was just listening to Legion of Boom DTS-ES by Crystal Method. It sounds great. Now that I have an Atmos setup, I opt for the DVD tracks though because DTS and DD tracks can be processed to add the height channels. MLP and SACD tracks aren't the same so they don't work. Now listening to Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle DTS :cool: Pretty trippy with the heights
Still using the AV7705? You should be able to apply processing to MLP and DSD tracks.
A5D74C2A-F770-4C71-8D55-2A35DC8648C7.jpeg

EF41B551-CDEB-4518-93C4-FDFF35CACD84.jpeg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Did you read the entire piece? It confirms everything in my post. One of the pictured DVD-AUDIO discs below has a DTS track playable in a DVD-VIDEO player while the other has a dolby digital track playable in a DVD-VIDEO player.
View attachment 54330
View attachment 54331
I admit that you are right on that point. However, DVD-A discs with a DTS layer represent a very minuscule percentage of all the DVD audio discs produced.

It is unfortunate that the DVD Audio format was abandoned, so was the SACD format to a great extent except for a few classical music discs which are still being released mostly by European labels.

In my opinion, the DVD-A format was as good as the SACD product, and was actually cheaper to produce.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I agree, and I enjoy the discs I have as they include album trivia, lyrics, and photos. I enjoy listening to the studio sessions and the putting it all together on “Pet Sounds.” Getting these discs now can be pricey. I’m glad I was able to get many of them used at record shops years ago.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, and I enjoy the discs I have as they include album trivia, lyrics, and photos. I enjoy listening to the studio sessions and the putting it all together on “Pet Sounds.” Getting these discs now can be pricey. I’m glad I was able to get many of them used at record shops years ago.
Also, there were some strictly DTS discs produced mainly if not exclusively with jazz artists. I remember Diana Krall had one. Those most not have been sold much and you needed to have a player which decoded the DTS file.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ah yes, the DTS CD. While many like SACD and some DVD-AUDIO, the DTS CD gets little love. I have a few of them. Steely Dan’s “ Gaucho “ is my favorite. Back then, they had to be played using digital output in a disc player to a DTS equipped processor/receiver. The DVD-AUDIO players could decode and output audio from the multichannel analog outputs to multichannel analog inputs or HDMI in later players. One needed to start them at reasonable volume because sometimes loud noise was output initially as the player located the DTS signal. This varied with disc, player and processor/receiver.

C

carlbarry

Audiophyte
I previously posted that my Blu ray players were no longer recognizing my Beatles Love DVD audio disc.
Well, I bought a new disc on ebay, and lo and behold, the new disc plays perfectly. Therefore, I conclude that something happened to my original disc. I don't know what; it's stored appropriately.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I previously posted that my Blu ray players were no longer recognizing my Beatles Love DVD audio disc.
Well, I bought a new disc on ebay, and lo and behold, the new disc plays perfectly. Therefore, I conclude that something happened to my original disc. I don't know what; it's stored appropriately.
I'd still like to play it :) Or try....offer still stands :)

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I have a Denon 3910 with a new laser that works great. Yes, King Crimson, Steely Dan all sound great with DVD Audio.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis