Grayscale Calibration,Critical but Often Forgotten

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Greetings,
I read Gene's article with interest and am in total agreement with the concept of the proper calibration of a HD capable device which manifests itself in many of our Media rooms as an RPTV.

I'm what you would call an early adopter and Purchased my Toshiba 65H80 and the first prog scan dvd player the Tosh sd5109 which in Oct, 2000 cost me about $8000 cdn incl taxes and full ISF Calibration. &nbsp;I was also a Lifetime subscriber to HDTV Magazine (a daily e-mail telling you whats on) a year before getting my set.

When I say full ISF, well, you can go to keohi.com, where alot of the best ISF'r hangout and see the different levels available.

I even had the reflective screen reversed on the set so that there would be no reflections.

I also use my set as a computer monitor so I had to have brightness and contrast set to levels that would preclude burnin. &nbsp;I had my set retweaked by the same ISF'r last month and there's no evidence of burnin.

Anyway, as Gene points out, whether you are a DIY'r and use the excellent products he speaks of, or get a PRO to do it. &nbsp;Please get it done, and get it done with the dvd player that your going to be using. &nbsp;This is also very important.

I went from the Tosh 5109 to an SDI Modded Panny rp82 which I use with the HOLO3D vid scaler and the setup is slightly different.

If you are going to use the products Gene mentions and do it yourself, GREAT, JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO IT BECAUSE THE PICTURE IS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY.

Have fun,

Peter m.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Peter,

Thanks for your feedback and related experiences. &nbsp;Just thought I'd mention that my Brother Steve was the one who wrote that article, not me. &nbsp;That way if there are any liabilities and or errors, its on him &nbsp;

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Gene,

The subject of proper calibration of video devices is an important one, and there are several reasons why it's not done at the factory,(before someone asks).

I just think it's a shame that people judge a tv by the way they see it on a showroom floor. &nbsp;The more articles that are written on this subject the better.

Thanks, Steve/Gene

Peter m.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis