Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe it depends on the remote/type of button.....the contacts on some of these buttons in my Harmony 650, the only contact was the coating....cleaning it off would make it worse. (i.e. it was the coating wearing off that causes the button not to work correctly).
But don't make the mistake of using beer though! :D

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
1559115854283.jpeg

I started with what you recommended because the downside and risk of simply cleaning it is next to non-existing.

I say "next to" because the remote is so tightly put together that you have to pry it open with different screwdrivers and crowbars and you almost certainly will damage the edge of the plastic covers where they meet.

The remote did change its behavior after the cleaning, so to speak, but it's still not completely there.

First symptoms and the reason I wanted to repair it could simply be described as non-responsive remote. I had to force the buttons, really press hard or hold and slowly jiggle until it sends the signal.

After the cleaning, it sort of, goes to sleep... If you're picking up the remote after a day or two of not using it, first couple of times you press buttons they do nothing, but after 4-5 times when they start they become very responsive, the remote starts working like new. Meaning that it'll work even at bad angles, even with a very gentle press of the buttons and every time. And I mean it, every time.

It's just that you have to get it going. Now this "get going" is not really clear to me; the remote is clean and can obviously perform well, but it doesn't when left alone for some time. Also I don't think this is batteries because I'd expect batteries to cause an opposite symptom; work well when you pick it up and gradually looses virility if you overdo it.

I don't know what else to examine.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, thanks a lot. I'll try that. Rubber keys do make contact over a layer of graphite, do they not?

This Graphit33 is what I have in mind:

It is a spray that creates a conductive surface.
btw: I bought UNI-T UT61E DMM on eBay from CN seller for $50 a few weeks ago. Tracking says it's out for delivery today. Hopefully, USPS won't truck up and deliver it today.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Caig De-Oxit is very useful for keeping connectors clean. I use it on all RCA plugs and batteries for remote controls etc. It is also useful for fixing intermittent HDMI cable connectors.
Many electronic equipment manufacturers use it and IMO, every serious audiophile should have a can of that stuff to enhance low voltage electric connections.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One helpful hint I picked up for laptop and remote opening is a guitar pick....gets in that small space quite nicely, just work your way around....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
One helpful hint I picked up for laptop and remote opening is a guitar pick....gets in that small space quite nicely, just work your way around....
That is a good idea! and I never thought of that!

I do have a set of "automotive trim removal tools" that are quite handy. Various plastic shims and pry bars, etc.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Caig De-Oxit is very useful for keeping connectors clean. I use it on all RCA plugs and batteries for remote controls etc. It is also useful for fixing intermittent HDMI cable connectors.
Many electronic equipment manufacturers use it and IMO, every serious audiophile should have a can of that stuff to enhance low voltage electric connections.
Thanks. Just remember; we're across the pond and can rarely talk brands. We can talk procedure. I can get a good "de-oxit" type of a cleaner, but it won't be Caig. Just tell me, please, this type of de-oxit is different than the one I have for the volume pot, right? I need a dry one for the remote and the one that leaves a protective coating for the volume pot, is that right?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks. Just remember; we're across the pond and can rarely talk brands. We can talk procedure. I can get a good "de-oxit" type of a cleaner, but it won't be Caig. Just tell me, please, this type of de-oxit is different than the one I have for the volume pot, right? I need a dry one for the remote and the one that leaves a protective coating for the volume pot, is that right?
in my opinion, the Caig De-Oxit would be good for both remote control and volume control. It's liquid out of the can and dries pretty fast. If you want a confirmation, you could call or email Caig for precise info.
As for the other brand of deoxidiser, I don't know. IMO, there's nothing like the Caig product and there's a reason why so many firms use it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
in my opinion, the Caig De-Oxit would be good for both remote control and volume control. It's liquid out of the can and dries pretty fast. If you want a confirmation, you could call or email Caig for precise info.
Does deoxit leave behind a conductive coating as needed by some remote buttons, tho?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Does deoxit leave behind a conductive coating as needed by some remote buttons, tho?
All I can say is that Caig's De-Oxit is a contact enhancer and I use it on all the RCA plugs and batteries for remote controls and flashlights. They can be used on banana plugs as well.
Caig say that this contact enhancer improves conductivity without causing shorts:

https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As for the other brand of deoxidiser, I don't know. IMO, there's nothing like the Caig product and there's a reason why so many firms use it.
Caig makes a large variety of products
https://www.parts-express.com/brand/caig-laboratories/30

I have their AV survival kit and use the appropriate product for each particular task. I can't remember which product, but one is specifically safe on plastics, and I tend to end up using that one fairly often.
https://www.parts-express.com/caig-sk-av35-deoxit-audio-video-survival-kit--341-275

CAIG's DeoxIT® Audio/Video Survival Kit includes the most popular chemicals for cleaning and protecting vital A/V gear—a seasoned technician doesn't leave the shop without it. Each kit includes a 150 application spray can of DeoxIT, a 150 application spray can of DeoxIT GOLD, a 150 application spray can of FaderLube, three DeoxIT gold wipes, a 2 mL squeeze tube of DeoxIT, a 2 mL squeeze tube of DeoxIT GOLD, a 2 mL squeeze tube of FaderLube, lint-free swabs, brushes, and cleaning cloths. A zip-lock pouch protects the contents from extreme weather environments.

EDIT--PE has a handy product selection guide!
https://www.parts-express.com/caig-product-selection-guide

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis