Grainy picture concern.

T

tjlmbklr

Junior Audioholic
SONY SXRD if anyone is concerned; but the TV isn't the issue. Read on!

Let me first say when I say grainy I mean to the trained eye. I am about 95% happy with most of my HD picture. I have DTV w/ an off air antenna for locals. I have tried both Component and HDMI; really I can't notice a difference. I have also tried running it directly to the set vs. through my Pioneer Elite receiver. I have DVD running through the receiver then
up-scaled to 1080i & up converted to HDMI out to TV. I only notice graininess on poor quality DVD's. I just don't have any friends that are as serious about HD as I am and none really that even have a HD set up to compare. I have had 3 different TV thus far (not for this reason) and all seem to suffer from a tad bit of a grainy picture, sometimes less/more noticeable then others. Sometimes I can understand when say an old movie is on the HD movies channel and has been cleaned and scaled to look good, but when something like Discovery and Locals that have been film in HD look sub-par I get concerned. I can't emphasize enough that to some my picture looks spectacular, but to me, the guy spending all the cash feels I am over looking something. Is it possible I am a HD hypochondriac....? :eek:

I also run all my theater components through a Monster HTS 3600 Clean Power. Don't know if it's hype, but I don't think it can hurt anything. I have a somewhat mess of wires behind my stand going all directions.

So my question is; how important is it to keep Video wires from power wires? I was told as long as they run perpendicular it is all right. And how well does the Video/power wires shield keep noise out? Will noise cause anything like a grainy picture? I just remember back in the days when HD was just something you dreamed of and heard how it's like looking through a window, and even seeing demos that were just that. So with all the $$$ I have in my system, I would expect a better picture. I have never done an ISF cali thing, and just today rented "Digital Video Essentials" and tweaked my set myself. I really wonder how much better a certified calibrator could get my picture.

Which raises another question. If I am running my DVD to receiver then scaled out to TV via HDMI, how does one calibrate for non DVD TV viewing?

Opinions please

Thanks
TJ

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'd say that if your picture looks great sometimes, then chances are it's just a low bitrate HD feed.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
tjlmbklr said:
Which raises another question. If I am running my DVD to receiver then scaled out to TV via HDMI, how does one calibrate for non DVD TV viewing?
Opinions please

Thanks
TJ
The calibration DVD is high enough grade that the calibrated TV will be fine for TV setup.
Or, you could use computer based software directly into the TV, if that is a possibility with an appropriate input to the TV and calibrate that way. Then the TV is calibrated with nothing in the chain. But then, you have to have multiple memory option in the Tv setup, like user 1, user 2, or something similar.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis