GR Research N2X review

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=148

(I thought this was going to be short, but I guess not :rolleyes: )

I was fortunate enough to be working home the week these guys showed up. Though I wasn’t able to listen to them all day long, I was able to put quite a few hours on them over the week. I wasn’t expecting them actually; I had talked to Danny the week before to see what the status was, but was surprised when they showed up. The first thing I found is that they are larger than I was expecting. From the pics on the site, they look roughly the size of A/V-1s, but they are actually closer in size to my A/V-2s. I’ve seen the curved PE boxes before in piano black and I was impressed with them, but these are the larger ones. These cabinets are quite nice. The light maple veneer is nicer than I expected, and they are fairly hefty and solid.

They didn’t require a lot of setup time, as they are fairly directional like my A/V-2s and dropping them on my stands in the current locations seems to work fine. I adjusted the toe of these guys slightly, but the overall placement works for them. They are sealed and are lower sensitivity than my A/V-2s, so I had to adjust levels quite a bit to get them to blend with my sub right. By themselves, they don’t have much bass at all – they are -3dB at 65Hz and being sealed, they don’t have a ton of authority down low. My room is too big for them by themselves, but in a smaller room they should do fine. They are nice and punchy. The smooth midrange is familiar to me, but the clear sound of the BG tweeter is immediately noticeable. It doesn’t quite sound like other planer drivers I’ve heard in that it sounds almost like a soft dome, sort of taking some of the best qualities of both. It is clear but it is also smooth. I had these guys running for hours and never got any listening fatigue from them as I have had with some other ribbon based speakers. They have a rather natural, “live venue” sound to them if I had to describe it.

I have pretty much thrown everything I have at them to see how they do and they didn’t disappoint on anything. They have a narrow sweet spot for ideal listening as mentioned, not unlike my A/V-2s, but off axis they still sound very good also; something that I think Danny is really good at is that off axis performance. They are very even handed and did not exhibit any issues even at elevated listening levels. One of the unusual “tests” I like to do is to put some live music on and go in the kitchen. It should sound like the band is playing in the other room and these speakers certainly give that effect. They throw a soundstage that sounds larger than they are. They picked up a few small details that I hadn’t noticed before while listening to Patrica Barber’s Companion (live SACD) and they sounded astounding with Jazz at the Pawnshop (CD) and Dave Brubeck live in Concord (SACD). They are equally at home with rock and techno and vocals as well.

I have swapped back and forth between my A/V-2s and these guys a few times, but I’ve had them in the system for the past few days exclusively and have watched a number movies. They blended in with my system quite well, owing to the smooth nature of the BG tweeter, and only on certain scenes did I notice them. To be honest, they blend so well, it is hard to pick a favorite between the two. My A/V-2s are a bit more dynamic as they are 4 Ohm and higher sensitivity with a bit more bass (-3dB @55Hz). Initially, they didn’t “blow me away” like the first time I heard my A/V-2s (and perhaps that is more the fault of Danny for making great speakers than anything). It isn’t a revelation listening to them compared to what I already have, but after some time with them I do hear and appreciate the subtle differences. It is mainly in the highs where I notice the most differences. These are slightly brighter and seem to yield more detail in the upper range, not that I felt I was missing anything in the highs, but I notice it on things like cymbals/high hats, percussion, piano, acoustic guitar, etc… Even in some vocals it is noticeable. I can’t say that I prefer the sound specifically, but I do enjoy it.

There isn’t really a nit-pick that I could place on these guys. You just don't find this kind of sound in many speakers. If I were going to build another set of speakers, I would probably look to the ported N1 or N1X models instead of these, but if I needed a 2.0 or 2.1 set of music only speakers for a medium size room, these would be very high up on my list. They are very good speaker once again from Danny at GR.

So my thoughts in general:
Very clear, clean natural sound.
Not a ton of bass, will be happier with a sub
With the cabinets from PE, they should be a simple build
For what you could build these for, you won't find anything that can touch them in SQ

I still have them at the moment so I am sure I will have more thoughts to post about them.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I noticed that the boxes for these are on sale right now for $133/ea. also. That would put these right around $650 a pair of these, plus your time to build. That may not be "budget", but that is a heck of a deal for what you get IMHO.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The cabinets do look nice and I'm sure this will generate some interest as soon as the crowd disperses in the Boring Thread. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot assembling crossovers for some Dayton BR-1's a while back. Seeing the parts for in the link made me wish I had a this kit to play with.

It's good to see somebody talking about speakers again. :D

Matt34

Matt34

Last pic you can see the shipping damage to the top right corner.;) I about freaked out when I picked them up and saw that.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah. The boxes are pretty beat up at this point. I figured he already knew about that so I didn't mention it to him and they sound fine.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The cabinets do look nice and I'm sure this will generate some interest as soon as the crowd disperses in the Boring Thread. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot assembling crossovers for some Dayton BR-1's a while back. Seeing the parts for in the link made me wish I had a this kit to play with.

I picked up my main pair of A/V-2s already built but bought the upgraded x-overs and rebuilt them myself (so basically I built my own crossovers). One of my tweeters was also destroyed in shipping so I had to replace it as well, so I ordered the newer version of tweeters and did everything at the same time. I've done electromecanichal assembly and all previously in my career but I still found it very fun to do. Now that I have some new wood working tools and an empty garage, I might decide to build some new speakers this year. I also have some existing boxes left over from some old A/V-1s and Danny said I could modify them to accept the N1 kit - I will definitely be building those in the near future.

tesseract

tesseract

Audioholic
Thanks for your listening impressions, j_garcia.

How was the sensitivity, they are rated pretty low. Any strain to reach satisfying levels?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your listening impressions, j_garcia.

How was the sensitivity, they are rated pretty low. Any strain to reach satisfying levels?
Once I adjusted their levels to match up with the rest of my system they were fine, but as I mentioned, I had to bump them up quite a bit to get them inline with the rest of my speakers (+6dB). Since my room is fairly large and they are lower sensitivity, they did need to be cranked a bit more than usual for me to get them to what I feel is an "elevated" level initially, but they showed no signs of strain no matter what I threw their way.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
After spending a few days with them in the setup, I swapped them out for my A/V-2 again and I can hear the differences right away. The A/V-2s are noticeably more laid back while at the same time, they have more pronounced midrange due to the MTM config I presume. I do notice that the N2Xs have more of a "three dimensional" quality about them, in that they sound more "spacious" than I would expect from a bookshelf. My A/V-2s fill the room fine, but these seem to convey a bit more precision of the fine spatial detail of a recording.

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
Perhaps one of these days I could listen to your pair? I've been curious about GR speakers and tempted to build one with premade cabinets from parts express.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Just because you said that, I want to derail this thread so badly I can't stand it...

But, I won't. Nice write up J_. I'm happy to hear your impression of the cabinet. I've gone back and forth about building some or just buying the PE cabs. Certainly buying them makes my life easier.

So, the woofer's frame overlaps that of the tweeter? Anything between the two? Am I missing something?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps one of these days I could listen to your pair? I've been curious about GR speakers and tempted to build one with premade cabinets from parts express.
Let me know when and we can set something up. I may be around this weekend, but next weekend my brother is getting married so I will be busy.

Just because you said that, I want to derail this thread so badly I can't stand it...

But, I won't. Nice write up J_. I'm happy to hear your impression of the cabinet. I've gone back and forth about building some or just buying the PE cabs. Certainly buying them makes my life easier.

So, the woofer's frame overlaps that of the tweeter? Anything between the two? Am I missing something?
Yes, the woofer slightly overlaps the tweeter. Most of Danny's designs do this to get the proper spacing between the drivers for proper imaging. The tweeters sit flush in a counter bore to allow for this.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Let me know when and we can set something up. I may be around this weekend, but next weekend my brother is getting married so I will be busy.

Yes, the woofer slightly overlaps the tweeter. Most of Danny's designs do this to get the proper spacing between the drivers for proper imaging. The tweeters sit flush in a counter bore to allow for this.
There's just air between them or does the woofer actually rest on the tweeter? Thanks...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It actually touches the tweeter face plate with the BGs because they are curved. IMO they could be c'bored in a hair deeper since the front baffles on those PE cabinets are thick (1" I think). On My A/V-2s, they don't touch.

Last edited:
R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I got a chance to listen to these speakers yesterday. Thanks, John. He describes them well in his review. The tweeter is nearly holographic, as it images detail in 3D in various places in the soundstage. There's detail in spades with this ribbon tweeter. Any sibilance in the recording is immediately apparent and you're just going to have to live with it. It's accuracy (to my ear) is going to reveal every issue with any recording. The soundstage is large, extending wide, slightly forward and deep. Bass is tight and none to deep or pronounced, but it's there. These would be a very nice little 2 channel with a small sub in a small room. Then again, in a large space they have no problem filling the room. John's already described that the midrange is slightly lacking in comparison to his ported MTMs. We didn't do an A/B, but I've heard his AV2s many times. I think in comparison to his larger speakers and mine, yes, the mids are slightly sterile. They sounded very clean and detailed within that range, but seemed to lack a bit of warmth and nuance. Again, then again :)D), there were moments when they sounded astonishingly good. As a kit speaker, it's an exceptional value.

We both agree that it would be interesting to put this tweeter/driver(s) in a larger box either book or floorstander in an MTM format, either ported or sealed and see what that does to the mids and bass response.

Thanks for the listen John.

tesseract

tesseract

Audioholic
We both agree that it would be interesting to put this tweeter/driver(s) in a larger box either book or floorstander in an MTM format, either ported or sealed and see what that does to the mids and bass response.
How about a nice TL?

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=151

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/Neo3box.pdf

http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53645&postcount=47

http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53712&postcount=56

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The N3 requires me to build a box though :) I already have boxes that will work for N1s and the PE boxes are always an option as well. I do have a place to build the boxes though and I had been thinking about doing some new speakers this year. I guess I'd have to talk to Danny about what to do about a center though...

Matt34

Matt34

The N3 requires me to build a box though :) I already have boxes that will work for N1s and the PE boxes are always an option as well. I do have a place to build the boxes though and I had been thinking about doing some new speakers this year. I guess I'd have to talk to Danny about what to do about a center though...
I've tossed around the idea of using my X-sls enclosures for the N2x kit but I think if I did actually went through with ordering it I would want to build TL enclosures instead.

tesseract

tesseract

Audioholic
You could always order a flat pack, or have the box built and shipped. Better still, you could have a local cabinet maker do the enclosure. That would leave you the soldering and the installation, saving you a lot of dough.

I am sooo tempted to go this way myself, but must... save... for... the... Gedlee Nathan...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I used to have a guy who could build the cabinets, but I don't now. I'm pretty handy and I have built a few cabinets previously, so that isn't an issue, it is just having the time to do it at the moment. I was actually thinking about building the Rythmik Audio/GR sub first since I need a sub for the other house. I've heard the original GR passive radiator sub and it was pretty good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis