Got my 1st SACD's, couple questions.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I finally got some SACDs and hooked up the 6-channel ext. in. Not much selection at the store, but I got a Diana Krall and a Godsmack which play as they should. I also picked up a Carmina Burana (Telarc 60056) based on some comments I read on AH. This one is different. It only plays in stereo and won't play very loud. All I get from the center channel is a buzz that gets louder as volume goes up, even if I change the DVD menu to downmix in stereo.

Did I get the wrong Carmina Burana? Is there a multi channel version I should have gotten?

I don't think I can select stereo sound field while using ext. in, so what can I do to disable the speakers that are not in use while in stereo? I know the DVD player has separate stereo outputs. Do these output concurrently with the 6-channel output on the CA DVD89 and should I run stereo cables from these to another input? I just want to hear Carmina Burana the way its intended.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I'm going to have to eat the loss on this one. Return policies for open CD's don't really leave any margin for error.

To get proper stereo sound from this disc, should I run another two analogue RCA's from the player's stereo out to another input, say VCR2, or will the coax transfer the signal just as well. Just curious. I have to try to make this disc work if I'm stuck with it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I guess I'm going to have to eat the loss on this one. Return policies for open CD's don't really leave any margin for error.

To get proper stereo sound from this disc, should I run another two analogue RCA's from the player's stereo out to another input, say VCR2, or will the coax transfer the signal just as well. Just curious. I have to try to make this disc work if I'm stuck with it.
Run digital and use prologicII if you have it. I bet you will like the performance. try that 2ch analog with the same processing.
About track 9, I think, or 11, the singer is on center stage, then the full orchestra kicks in all around, tremendous.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Track 9 with 2ch analog and PLII is playing right now as I type this. Oh my goodness what a difference. Yes, it is much better. Thank you.

Now I just need to get rid of the little buzz I have. I think it might be cable related because it followed me from 6ch analog to 2ch analog. Or it might be the players analog outputs. I guess I've got some testing to do.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Track 9 with 2ch analog and PLII is playing right now as I type this. Oh my goodness what a difference. Yes, it is much better. Thank you.

Now I just need to get rid of the little buzz I have. I think it might be cable related because it followed me from 6ch analog to 2ch analog. Or it might be the players analog outputs. I guess I've got some testing to do.
Try a digital input, even with 2 ch and that dplII.

Yes, you may need to experiment where that noise is sneaking in.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Try a digital input, even with 2 ch and that dplII.

Yes, you may need to experiment where that noise is sneaking in.
Funny thing, I had all the analog cables disconnected and listened to SRV using coax connection. When I switched SRV for Carmina Burana, I got no sound. Popped SRV back in and all was well. Back to Carmina Burana, no joy. I don't think the player will output SACD over digital. As you know, this is all new to me but I'm trying to learn.

On a side note, this player just seems screwy. When I use HDMI, I only get 2ch for DVD movies and music. The strangest thing was when I tried to level adjust using the Avia disc, the test tone for left surround came out the left front speaker and right surround from right front, but when the phase test came on, the fronts played during front in-phase, but the rears played during front out-of-phase. Otherwise the rears won't play using HDMI output. That's why I'm using coax. I don't know if the wiring in the HDMI connection is messed up or what.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Just a thought?

Try setting the player to RAW, this way the player picks up the incoming signal form both sources when using analog:). No player supports SACD via digital only through HDMI or analog.

I hope it's that easy:eek:.

Last edited:
W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
Try setting the player to RAW, this way the player picks up the incoming signal form both sources when using analog:).
I don't have CA DVD player, but am curious: How do you do that (RAW)?
And what do you mean by BOTH sources ?

No player supports SACD via digital only through HDMI or analog.
Almost true, you have to add also DenonLink3 connection (Denon equipment) and firewire (IEEE 1394) to that list. As for HDMI - only v.1.2 and up.
In his case, only 5.1 analog is an option, since this receiver has HDMI v.1.1 which does not accept SACD signal.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Explanation

The default bitstream setting on MY oppo is RAW. It allows the source to discern the incoming signal and play it back for best possible SQ. I thought that if Dave, must switch back and forth between coax and analog that he's better off using the 5.1 in a RAW format. This way he can listen to CD's and SACD's the way they where ment to sound and with one connection?
:eek: I forgot about the other two, in any case they where intended for people with deep pockets.:)

Billy p

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The only setting I have that I can set to raw is the SPDIF output. Unfortunately, there's no SACD output through SPDIF. I can get everything to work via the various analog outputs, so that's all good.

Now I just have two issues to deal with. The first being the HDMI issue. I'd like to be able to use the HDMI connection as the default connection for movie DVDs and regular CDs, but it won't play movies in surround. Saving Private Ryan isn't the same through two speakers only.

The second issue is the buzzing. I've done some experimenting but its only confused me more. I started a thread about this in the interconnect forum and I'll continue to pursue it there.

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
Funny thing, I had all the analog cables disconnected and listened to SRV using coax connection. When I switched SRV for Carmina Burana, I got no sound. Popped SRV back in and all was well. Back to Carmina Burana, no joy. I don't think the player will output SACD over digital. As you know, this is all new to me but I'm trying to learn.
The only possible digital output for SACD on the Oppo is HDMI (it will actually convert SACD to PCM first). You definitely cannot pass SACD via digital coax or toslink. If you're usign HDMI for SACD (which will require that your AVR be HDMI 1.1-compliant), make sure to set HDMI to 'Auto' in the user menu, and also change the HDMI resolution (using the remote's 'HDMI' button) to 720 or 1080. Also set digital output to 5.1 channel, not 2-channel. ALso set S/PDIF output to Raw just to be safe.

On a side note, this player just seems screwy. When I use HDMI, I only get 2ch for DVD movies and music.
Make sure you haven't set the oppo to downmix to 2-channel. Set it to 5.1
It's one of the items in the user menu.

The strangest thing was when I tried to level adjust using the Avia disc, the test tone for left surround came out the left front speaker and right surround from right front, but when the phase test came on, the fronts played during front in-phase, but the rears played during front out-of-phase. Otherwise the rears won't play using HDMI output. That's why I'm using coax. I don't know if the wiring in the HDMI connection is messed up or what.
Set HDMI output to Auto as above. Also check your speaker connections to the AVR, make sure the channel assignments are right. Make sure Dolby Pro Logic is OFF when you do the Avia tests.

Have you carefully read the TWO user manuals that come with the Oppo? It reads like most/all of your issues come from improper setup of the Oppo. The only thing to note is that some of the names of setting options have changed since the manuals were first printed; I'm not sure the recent manuals have been updated.

Last edited:
dvda-sacd

dvda-sacd

Junior Audioholic
Ieee 1394

Some players have encrypted IEEE 1394 (FireWire or i.Link) digital outputs carrying DSD data.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The only possible digital output for SACD on the Oppo is HDMI (it will actually convert SACD to PCM first). You definitely cannot pass SACD via digital coax or toslink. If you're usign HDMI for SACD (which will require that your AVR be HDMI 1.1-compliant), make sure to set HDMI to 'Auto' in the user menu, and also change the HDMI resolution (using the remote's 'HDMI' button) to 720 or 1080. Also set digital output to 5.1 channel, not 2-channel. ALso set S/PDIF output to Raw just to be safe.

Make sure you haven't set the oppo to downmix to 2-channel. Set it to 5.1
It's one of the items in the user menu.

Set HDMI output to Auto as above. Also check your speaker connections to the AVR, make sure the channel assignments are right. Make sure Dolby Pro Logic is OFF when you do the Avia tests.

Have you carefully read the TWO user manuals that come with the Oppo? It reads like most/all of your issues come from improper setup of the Oppo. The only thing to note is that some of the names of setting options have changed since the manuals were first printed; I'm not sure the recent manuals have been updated.
I don't have an Oppo. I have a Cambridge Audio DV89, which I understand is similar to the Oppo, but without a decent user manual. I gave up on the HDMI on this unit after realizing that I was watching Saving Private Ryan in stereo and couldn't for the life of me how to figure out how to get surround out of this unit using HDMI. It's just not the same.

One very useful suggestion that I hadn't thought about is making sure PLII is off for Avia. I will be sure to do that when I get a chance to revisit the issue. As it is now, I have things so that my wife can use the system when she wants without specific knowledge of any difficulties I'm having until I can spend the time to get everything right. Too many projects, too much time at work.

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
I don't have an Oppo. I have a Cambridge Audio DV89, which I understand is similar to the Oppo, but without a decent user manual. I gave up on the HDMI on this unit after realizing that I was watching Saving Private Ryan in stereo and couldn't for the life of me how to figure out how to get surround out of this unit using HDMI. It's just not the same.
Then I would guess you haven't configured your gear correctly. SACD and DVD-A and HD-DVD and Blu-ray are still special cases, but an HDMI-compatible AVR and player should be able to pass the surround mix of a standard DVD digitally. Even if by chance your AVR isn't HDMI-incompatible,if your display *is*, you should still be able to pass the video to your display via HDMI, and your surround audio to the AVR via toslink/digital coax as bitstream.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Then I would guess you haven't configured your gear correctly. SACD and DVD-A and HD-DVD and Blu-ray are still special cases, but an HDMI-compatible AVR and player should be able to pass the surround mix of a standard DVD digitally. Even if by chance your AVR isn't HDMI-incompatible,if your display *is*, you should still be able to pass the video to your display via HDMI, and your surround audio to the AVR via toslink/digital coax as bitstream.
The thing is, I use HDMI for the DVR and my previous player also used HDMI. Everything was great. Then I swapped in the Cambridge and it wasn't quite right. I've tried every setting, reset to default and tried again. I'll play around with the HDMI later when I get a couple other projects done, especially if I can reasonably expect multi-channel SACD over HDMI and skip the multiple RCA's.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis