Gorgeous speaker finishes

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Visual symmetry, often the goal of a designer, is the enemy here. Listen to the sound, but look at the wood finish with your eyes.

The offset tweeter makes two different distances from the center of the tweeter to the vertical edges of the cabinet. The ratio of those two distances should be an irrational number, a multiple of the square root of two, not a rational number. It may violate your sense of symmetry and proportion, but it keeps the frequency response curve smoother.
Thanks Swerd! I understand the "why" they are the way they are and I am sure it is great engineering. Unfortunately, my eye (which would still see the speaker layout while taking in the beautiful finish) cannot help but be influenced by the gestalt and it hurts my sense of aesthetics (see below). The way the edges of the tweeter and midrange housings align seems both deliberate and unnatural at the same time, creating unnecessary tension. If the tweeter could move just a little bit and still keep within the irrational number magic formula, it would (to me, at least) be much more pleasing and relaxed.
1530911266304.png

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Swerd! I understand the "why" they are the way they are and I am sure it is great engineering. Unfortunately, my eye (which would still see the speaker layout while taking in the beautiful finish) cannot help but be influenced by the gestalt and it hurts my sense of aesthetics (see below). The way the edges of the tweeter and midrange housings align seems both deliberate and unnatural at the same time, creating unnecessary tension. If the tweeter could move just a little bit and still keep within the irrational number magic formula, it would (to me, at least) be much more pleasing and relaxed
Loved your illustration. When you order those speakers from Jim Salk, be sure to include it ;).

He probably has had customers who want the tweeters centered, but I wonder if he's seen your request before. Jim's been to many of the larger audio shows, and he has stories of some truly strange dudes. Like the intensely serious oriental gentleman who went from room to room carrying his precious custom-made silver speaker cables. He refused to listen unless they were used. After a few minutes, he spouted forth with a detailed critique of the speaker's numerous flaws. He very politely refused to buy any speakers that didn't make modifications to meet his requirements. So, in comparison, your request would be no problem :).

For what its worth, all Salk speakers do include cloth grills that would cover the drivers. They attach by magnets in the grill frame and buried under the veneer. Jim usually doesn't show photos of speakers with the grill in place.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Loved your illustration. When you order those speakers from Jim Salk, be sure to include it ;).

He probably has had customers who want the tweeters centered, but I wonder if he's seen your request before. Jim's been to many of the larger audio shows, and he has stories of some truly strange dudes. Like the intensely serious oriental gentleman who went from room to room carrying his precious custom-made silver speaker cables. He refused to listen unless they were used. After a few minutes, he spouted forth with a detailed critique of the speaker's numerous flaws. He very politely refused to buy any speakers that didn't make modifications to meet his requirements. So, in comparison, your request would be no problem :).

For what its worth, all Salk speakers do include cloth grills that would cover the drivers. They attach by magnets in the grill frame and buried under the veneer. Jim usually doesn't show photos of speakers with the grill in place.
everytime I see those speakers I get speaker envy.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Interesting anecdote about "French Polish" ... I had a relative move here from the UK, and that was his profession. He was able to secure full-time employment polishing the furniture at the Provincial Legislature.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
In Addition to custom paint matching, Triad will match almost any veneer. See below:

triad 1.jpg

triad 2.jpg

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
A very welcome thread. When I look for speaker beauty, rarely do I have to look further than Sonus Faber. As pretty as they come:
1531208974186.jpeg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis