Good Used Amps under $500 Today???

G

galindez

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I am looking for a good used amp under $500. Audiogon classifieds has lots and lots of used amps for sale. Of course Ebay has its share as well.

I would like to find the best amps ie retailing for $2000 plus when they were new several years ago. I am not looking for lots of power (ie 200 watt/ch beasts), just good clean amps. Frankly, I am not sure how long good amps can last so I do not know if I would be asking for trouble
with a 10yr old amp. I definately am open to recommendations.

Here is what I have so far:

Rotel RB1080 had a pretty bad review Stereophile 3/2002
Rotel RB991 good reviews but more pwr than what I need
Carver, krell - cannot touch anywhere under $500
other models/brand??</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>If you like Carver amps you can almost always find a good deal on one. &nbsp;Some folks love 'em, some hate 'em. &nbsp;I've got a couple that have always served me well, but I had a Carver CM 1090 integrated amp years ago (my first peice of &quot;real&quot; gear) and I had some problems with it. &nbsp;The two A400x's I have are perfect, though.

You can often get the highly regarded B&amp;K ST2140 (140 WPC) for not a lot over $500 brand new. &nbsp;This amp is a classic, and probably about as good as you're gonna find for the money. &nbsp;Should be a bargain used, too.

Adcom amps are pretty solid and are priced used in the range you're looking for.

Lastly, Parasound makes some nice amps, and they're cheap and plentiful on the used market. &nbsp;More of an E-bay item than an Audiogon deal for the latter brands.</font>

G

galindez

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Bob,

Thanks. That is just the type of feedback I am looking for.

If it helps out for any other recommendations I plan on using the Yamaha 1400 receiver as a pre/pro</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis