Good quality/value motorized screen?

C

Craig234

Audioholic
I got good feedback about Carada as an overall solid pick for quality and value for a screen - but they only make fixed screens, not motorized.

Since a screen can tend to dominate my living room and it's sounding like I should not use the projector as a primary tv device, a motorized screen is what I'm thinking I should get, and Carada offers only fixed screens. I doubt I need 'the best' like a top end Stewart that costs well more than the projector (Panasonic AE900U), but I do want a very good image.

Any suggestions for a great picture and value in a motorized screen? Is my approach on why I need motorized missing anything?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Craig234 said:
I got good feedback about Carada as an overall solid pick for quality and value for a screen - but they only make fixed screens, not motorized.

Since a screen can tend to dominate my living room and it's sounding like I should not use the projector as a primary tv device, a motorized screen is what I'm thinking I should get, and Carada offers only fixed screens. I doubt I need 'the best' like a top end Stewart that costs well more than the projector (Panasonic AE900U), but I do want a very good image.

Any suggestions for a great picture and value in a motorized screen? Is my approach on why I need motorized missing anything?

If you can have a curtain on a fixed screen, that would not be so dominating perhaps.
Not sure who else besides Stewart makes motorized screens.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
For a motorized screen, you must get tab-tensioned otherwise the screen will develop waves in the material in about a year. This adds significantly to the cost of the screen and should be factored in before you make your screen purchase. You also want to consider if you want to use a in-ceiling type screen or if you want to use a on-wall mounted type screen. I personally scored a nice Draper in-ceiling tab-tensioned screen on eBay for about $800 shipped to my door - MSRP runs a bit over $4,000 on the screen I got. Yeah, I'm happy - but it took me 18 months of waiting for it to actually show up there. The major manufacturers are excellent to look at - this includes Draper and DaLite - as well as Stewart. It may be worth checking out the new Elite Screens which include tab-tensioning. I am not aware of the materials Elite uses, and the only screen I have seen from them I did not like at all. But, that may have been the material on that particular screen. Elite is considerably less than the competition... As in, you can get their tab-tensioned 106" screen for well under $1K.

C

Craig234

Audioholic
ebay

Thanks for the tips. eBay may not be a bad way to go - I'm not that picky about the screen being factory-bought when the savings are so large.

I did a quick check and there are plenty of draper screens for sale there. I haven't seen what the close at, but there are some even <$100 with no bids(!)

Any other tips on zeroing in on a good pick out of the many to pick from (even Draper seems to have a wide selection)? I'll check eBay for them.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Look on the manufacturers website to find specific models and screen material choices. There are about a dozen or more models from each of the major manufacturers, then those come in a couple of dozen sizes (or more) per screen design, then those often have as many as half a dozen (or more) different materials that can be used to make the actual screen.

Think HUNDREDS of different screens from each major manufacturer with each one being a bit different.

Almost always, a screen under $100 will be a manual pull down screen. If you aren't getting a tab-tensioned screen, than the extra $300+ you spend on a motorized screen is what I would call wasted money. The screen will get waves, then look bad, then you are out the full $400 or $500 (or more) you spent. $100 can get you a manual pull down screen which will work just as well, but does require you to get off the couch to pull it down before you can use it.

If you have some that strike your interest, post a link to it and I (and others) can give you our opinion and feedback.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis