Good quality 4 seat theater sofa that won't break the bank

J

jnboone

Junior Audioholic
Looking for a four seat theater sofa. One of my kids is 6'5", and we agreed long ago not to ever buy a couch he couldn't lay down on :). I've found two, but they're both around $14K, and I'm just not gonna pay that for a couch! I don't want something that will wear out in 2-3 years either. I definitely want all four seats to also recline, and I don't want bonded leather (but would like good leather). Any suggestions?

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I bought from 4Seating.com last time I did my theater purchase. With proper theater seating, you can choose the layout/configuration, and you can get leather without it running anywhere near the price you listed.

These, for example:

Can give you the four seats in a 'couch' configuration, with a couple of tray tables, full setup, and an extended 5-year warranty for under $3,500.

Read reviews if going this direction for sure.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Looking for a four seat theater sofa. One of my kids is 6'5", and we agreed long ago not to ever buy a couch he couldn't lay down on :). I've found two, but they're both around $14K, and I'm just not gonna pay that for a couch! I don't want something that will wear out in 2-3 years either. I definitely want all four seats to also recline, and I don't want bonded leather (but would like good leather). Any suggestions?
What you were quoted sounds very high.

I would say that picking HT furniture is difficult. Good product is now far and few between, with not a lot of good options.

I strongly recommend not buying on line, much as I like doing that. I have fitted out two theaters now. I would say a lot of product is very uncomfortable and the leather often not good quality and the price high. You really have to look and sit in the furniture. My wife and I spent a lot of time picking the right furniture for both theaters.

For the first we picked the Montana chairs and they were excellent. After 13 years we sold them to the new house owners. They held up well. Unfortunately they went out of business in the 2008 financial crisis.

So for this theater we went with elran.

I have to say these chairs are very comfortable for long periods and the leather of the finest quality. They also have a good selection of colors.

Judging by what you were quoted, these chairs were about a third of the cost you were quoted.

They look and feel spectacular.

You have to be careful and discerning picking good furniture. Most of it is far too soft and you literally collapse into it. Short term it can feel deceptively comfortable. So you must sit in it for a while and make sure you are well supported. Make the wrong choice and you are pretty much stuck with it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

But, can his kid lay down on it, like sleep perhaps, I think? :)
"One of my kids is 6'5", and we agreed long ago not to ever buy a couch he couldn't lay down on :) "

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

But, can his kid lay down on it, like sleep perhaps, I think? :)
"One of my kids is 6'5", and we agreed long ago not to ever buy a couch he couldn't lay down on :) "
Every seat will go as close to flat as makes no difference. So you can lay down on every seat.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think he means that they want it in a couch configuration. So, four seats side by side without an armrest between them. With most theater seating, this is just part of the configuration when ordering.

I do believe that if at all possible, people should sit in seats before they buy them, but I'm not going to drop an extra $3,000 for that privilege. I will spend time to read reviews and get the responses of owners if at all possible. I agree with buying a pure leather, or go with a leather-like fabric over bonded leather, which is crap. I just got a sofa set that uses fake leather material from Bob's Furniture, and so far it has held up better than our previous bonded leather sofa. Time will tell if it is decent or garbage, but it was cheap, so I don't expect the world.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Every seat will go as close to flat as makes no difference. So you can lay down on every seat.
Oh, ok. I guess I thought the son may have wanted lay down across the seats. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think he means that they want it in a couch configuration. So, four seats side by side without an armrest between them. With most theater seating, this is just part of the configuration when ordering.

I do believe that if at all possible, people should sit in seats before they buy them, but I'm not going to drop an extra $3,000 for that privilege. I will spend time to read reviews and get the responses of owners if at all possible. I agree with buying a pure leather, or go with a leather-like fabric over bonded leather, which is crap. I just got a sofa set that uses fake leather material from Bob's Furniture, and so far it has held up better than our previous bonded leather sofa. Time will tell if it is decent or garbage, but it was cheap, so I don't expect the world.
I got bonded leather in the couches I'm using in the current (and past) theater, and while comfortable, the coloring is peeling off the small love seat. That started years ago and just stopped. The larger couch never had that issue.

When we got a new sectional downstairs, we went with real Italian leather (fancy sounding) and it wasn't all that bad price wise. It's a night and day difference in feel. It's so much better quality it's hard to explain. Same for the couch in my office. Real, high quality leather is the only way to go.

Having said that, I'll probably go bonded again in the theater simply because it isn't used as much as the other couches. I'll just do a ton more research. Octane seating gets good reviews and they aren't too bad on price. I've sat in them and was impressed, but at 6'3" I have the same issue as the OPs son. I'm just too tall for most "normal" seating so I have to compromise.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Why are these seats so expensive ?? If there no better then junk at retail stores ??

Sorry I asked I was tired

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Why are these seats so expensive ?? If there no better then junk at retail stores ??
Why do you think retail stores sell junk? Maybe you are going to the wrong stores. What makes you think these are all junk? What indicates that to be fact?

I really don't get you sometimes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis