Good as will get or Redo?

D

DN2292

Audiophyte
Newbie here so my apologies for ignorance, will get right to the point.

Just picked up a really nice pair of Mission 700S but quickly realized there was something missing in the mid‘s of vocals specifically.(at least what my untrained ear can hear) Compared to my previously owned vintage B&W or the infinities in my study these are lacking depth and body(from what I remember these used to have it???)
Powered by 33w Yamaha RX-300U
sitting right at wall, on 11” stands

Am I expecting too much out of these particular speakers or do the crossovers need to be redone? Overall they sound good, driver surrounds are fine, block-foam inside is still intact. One speaker seems to be lacking in general more than the other.

Any thoughts or general direction would be appreciated. I am more than ready to redo the guts, would be my first foray into doing this but would be fun to make these better if possible.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You have the ability to design a crossover? Or you just want to replace components? Do any components appear to have failed?

Why are the speakers up against the wall? If you think one speaker is lacking put it in mono mode and compare them side by side? ...perhaps you can pinpoint an issue better that way. Hard to know how they compared to other speakers in your rooms, that's fairly subjective.

D

DN2292

Audiophyte
I can just replace components if they have just cycled out of spec(that is common, yes?) The speaker that performs weaker, upon opening up the Crossover has pulled off the base from stress of the wire being pulled at one time I suppose.
None of capacitors have discoloring.

The speakers are 5” from the wall, so I was not correct earlier.

I have played with them up to this point listening to see if it was just me hearing a diff. But will do more tests as you mentioned.

D

DN2292

Audiophyte
These are not the same crossovers. Sorry My pic’s were too big
74BC7262-2811-430E-A4CA-59A45A1AA4A3.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That a crossover needs new components isn't particularly likely, much audiophoolery on that subject out there, tho. I'd bring the speakers more into the room. The stands are only 11" because they're on a desk or a shelf of some sort to have the speakers at ear height? Paying more attention to room/setup sounds like a first step rather than worrying about crossover components. Perhaps you'd simply be happier with better/different speakers....

D

DN2292

Audiophyte
I thought I liked the sound of Missions(had a pair back in the day) and stumbled on these for sale. Listened to them, bought them, was SO PUMPED!
Now not so much, compared to everything I know I prefer these are not living up to the standards.

These are beautiful 18” tall bookshelf’s….maybe they will grow on me?

D

DN2292

Audiophyte
That a crossover needs new components isn't particularly likely, much audiophoolery on that subject out there, tho. I'd bring the speakers more into the room. The stands are only 11" because they're on a desk or a shelf of some sort to have the speakers at ear height? Paying more attention to room/setup sounds like a first step rather than worrying about crossover components. Perhaps you'd simply be happier with better/different speakers....
Thanks bro

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
How do they sound when you stand several feet away? Does the sound get more pleasing at a distance? Some speakers do not work as well near-field.

How old are the Missions? As mentioned, the crossover components do not usually fail. The capacitor may drift in value as it gets old, but not likely to a point where you would notice. If the cap is bulging out on one end, that could indicate a problem, but it looks fine from the photos. If the mids don't compare to your other speakers, chalk it up to experience. Lots of "vintage" items out there for sale if you're looking for a particular sound but modern bookshelves have come a long way.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought I liked the sound of Missions(had a pair back in the day) and stumbled on these for sale. Listened to them, bought them, was SO PUMPED!
Now not so much, compared to everything I know I prefer these are not living up to the standards.

I agree with HD in that optimizing placement and room acoustics might offer you some improvements. This is something that's often overlooked. That is assuming nothing is wrong with the speakers. They should both sound the same, tho placement can alter what you hear. Like if one is closer to a room boundary or something. Replacing crossover components is very unlikely to do much.

Pull the speakers out into the room a little more and make sure your tweets are at ear height. Your stands are pretty short.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Were they the same model Missions? The different room you listened to them in before you bought them might point out simply room differences, which are a great part of how speakers will "sound".

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Missions were decent for the price. I usually start checking speakers by taking initial ohm readings right at the input jacks. While resistance values are seldom exactly what the speakers ratings are as stated, they should not vary a lot between the two.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis