Good amp for JBL HP 530s?

Audiohead501

Audiohead501

Audiophyte
Hey all! I am new to the audio scene but have been wanting to get some towers for a while. I ended up finding some JBL HP 530s. I’ve had a great time finding much info on these at all. They sound pretty good with an older Onkyo amp I had around but I’d like to level up the setup. I’ve ordered banana plugs and new 12 gauge wires which should be more than enough. Previous owner was using 22AWG. I’m wondering if I’ll be able to hear a difference. Does anyone else have a set of these and how did you end up setting them up? Also they need a little love cosmetically so I’m open to tips there too! Thanks!
70839000611__D1B97723-257D-4913-9ECA-F0BD7C93A461.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never had a set but wouldn't turn them away, read some nice comments about this line (I own several other JBLs, tho).

Why the banana plugs? Going to move things/switch things out a lot? The Onkyo amp could well be sufficient, what is it? What do you want, an integrated amp or a power amp or ? It's possible the change in gauge wire could make a difference, altho mostly depends on the length involved....might pull out that pushed in dust cap perhaps.

Audiohead501

Audiohead501

Audiophyte
Wasn’t planning on changing things around a lot but I like the idea of making wires I can switch around if I’d like.
Is there a downside to the plugs, other than small additional cost?
I definitely would prefer integrated, largely for budget reasons. Amp Is an Onkyo HT-R550
Dust cap has been pulled. Can’t leave them looking like that.
Open to any and all info as I am a blank slate when it comes to audio.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The bananas are good for convenience....was just curious due the context of your post. I like the Sewell Silverbacks myself, prefer the dual set screws.

Your HT-R550 I'd just keep using, has decent power/spec and has bass management, something most 2ch integrateds still don't have....and you already have it so much better on the budget. What sub will you use or ?

How'd you pull the cap out? Mouth? Tape? Vacuum cleaner? :)

Audiohead501

Audiohead501

Audiophyte
I’m not sure on the subwoofer, I’ll need to do some research. Currently I find the low end adequate for the music I listen to, I’ve got the EQ flattened out and their “Auddessey” filter off. These speakers were unexpectedly acquired so I’ve done no planning whatsoever (did I mention they were free?)

Currently playing with toe in and positioning in the room, trying to find my sweet spot.

Pulled the cap out with electrical tape, vacuum cleaner was the next option, mouth naturally the last resort.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m not sure on the subwoofer, I’ll need to do some research. Currently I find the low end adequate for the music I listen to, I’ve got the EQ flattened out and their “Auddessey” filter off. These speakers were unexpectedly acquired so I’ve done no planning whatsoever (did I mention they were free?)

Currently playing with toe in and positioning in the room, trying to find my sweet spot.

Pulled the cap out with electrical tape, vacuum cleaner was the next option, mouth naturally the last resort.
The advantage of subs could well be more movie oriented, depending on the music you listen to, as a lot of music doesn't require a lot of extension (but still think they can help round out the sound even so). I do find subs generally work better at lower frequencies than most speakers and are an easier/more economical way to get "full range". You're using the graphic eq rather than Audyssey? Did you play around with the RLO settings for music using Audyssey? Like this https://ask.audyssey.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347383-Dynamic-EQ-and-Reference-Level

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey all! I am new to the audio scene but have been wanting to get some towers for a while. I ended up finding some JBL HP 530s. I’ve had a great time finding much info on these at all. They sound pretty good with an older Onkyo amp I had around but I’d like to level up the setup. I’ve ordered banana plugs and new 12 gauge wires which should be more than enough. Previous owner was using 22AWG. I’m wondering if I’ll be able to hear a difference. Does anyone else have a set of these and how did you end up setting them up? Also they need a little love cosmetically so I’m open to tips there too! Thanks!View attachment 62320
Where did you find those? They are very rare. They date from the early nineties and were made in Denmark and may be Hamburg as well, but certainly Denmark. They were for European consumption mainly and I think most sold in Germany. I do not know who actually made those speakers.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
We have a forum member with these but I can't remember who and a quick search came up empty. I remember he helped out someone who had also acquired a pair. They have the binding posts underneath, right? Increasing from 22 gauge wire is definitely required. Anything less than 16 is too thin but 14 would be enough for a short run. You're fine with 12. Bananas won't make a difference but since the posts are underneath where you can't see them I would go with locking banana plugs so that they don't fall out when trying different positions, or turn off the amp whenever you move them.

If you plan to touch up the finish, be very careful of the plates on top. Those are irreplaceable! Hopefully whoever owns a pair will chime in on safe removal if required.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

We have a forum member with these but I can't remember who and a quick search came up empty. I remember he helped out someone who had also acquired a pair. They have the binding posts underneath, right? Increasing from 22 gauge wire is definitely required. Anything less than 16 is too thin but 14 would be enough for a short run. You're fine with 12. Bananas won't make a difference but since the posts are underneath where you can't see them I would go with locking banana plugs so that they don't fall out when trying different positions, or turn off the amp whenever you move them.

If you plan to touch up the finish, be very careful of the plates on top. Those are irreplaceable! Hopefully whoever owns a pair will chime in on safe removal if required.
One thing I did find out, is that those speakers are definitely four ohm and most receivers will not like driving them. My hunch is that Dynaudio probably built those speakers. In those days their drivers used to present complex loads. My all Dynaudio surrounds se Dynaudio Drivers of that era, and those speakers present the most complex load of the lot. The Quad 909 that drives them is always the warmest of the lot.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, a sub is the next logical upgrade, even if you think you don't need it. I think this is the missing dimension that has you questioning an amp upgrade in the first place. Even if using it to fill in the very bottom end, it's worth using and learning, especially since your amp has the capabilities to implement one.

ETA: Some room treatment would be a good thing to consider as well, unless you have already done so. Sometimes, these questions/answers can all be for naught if the room is questionable.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

That would be me I have two pairs in my home setup although mine are the 520’s which are vented a little different. But I’d never use bananas on the bottom of these bare wire is the best idea on the speaker end . I use twisted canare 4s11 11 ga effective gage . The glass top is not replaceable as I bought the last 2 in the states several years back . Iam kind of busy at the moment but later I’ll read the whole thread and offer any insight I can give .

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
One thing I did find out, is that those speakers are definitely four ohm and most receivers will not like driving them. My hunch is that Dynaudio probably built those speakers. In those days their drivers used to present complex loads. My all Dynaudio surrounds se Dynaudio Drivers of that era, and those speakers present the most complex load of the lot. The Quad 909 that drives them is always the warmest of the lot.
These were built in Denmark for the European and mainly German market which these are still sought after very heavily in Europe . The drivers are built in France and are pro based drivers . Yes they are 4 ohm and are relatively easy to drive although I use carver TFM- 35 thx certified amps 350 per channel in 4 ohm loads . They sound amazing still for their age parts are hard to get unless you have source and connections for jbl parts . Mine are vented out the top I’ve seen this model that has a port in front but iam not all that sure on its workings . These sound best with power but does not tax my amps in the least I’ve never found any music that does not sound pleasing and non fatiguing in any way .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
IMO, a sub is the next logical upgrade, even if you think you don't need it. I think this is the missing dimension that has you questioning an amp upgrade in the first place. Even if using it to fill in the very bottom end, it's worth using and learning, especially since your amp has the capabilities to implement one.

ETA: Some room treatment would be a good thing to consider as well, unless you have already done so. Sometimes, these questions/answers can all be for naught if the room is questionable.
Absolutely recommend a sub even better two with these I run SVS 1000 pros with mine .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for replying @Mark E. Long. It was the different model # that failed to appear in my search but admittedly I didn't look that hard and figured the thread title would get your attention. :)

It was afterlife2 you helped when he found a pair. Photos of his find here. You definitely want a secure wire connection when moving these around. The op might want to read over that thread.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Thanks for replying @Mark E. Long. It was the different model # that failed to appear in my search but admittedly I didn't look that hard and figured the thread title would get your attention. :)

It was afterlife2 you helped when he found a pair. Photos of his find here. You definitely want a secure wire connection when moving these around. The op might want to read over that thread.
Yea Afterlife2 he’s got a pair at an incredible price I’ve seen these on Asian and Europe listings iam really not sure on this specific model as these have a port in front on the bottom iam assuming these have the dual 8 inch woofers in the bottom as mine do and I don’t know if these are vented out the top like mine . I’ll find what I can on the port as that’s the only thing I can see that’s different.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

These were built in Denmark for the European and mainly German market which these are still sought after very heavily in Europe . The drivers are built in France and are pro based drivers . Yes they are 4 ohm and are relatively easy to drive although I use carver TFM- 35 thx certified amps 350 per channel in 4 ohm loads . They sound amazing still for their age parts are hard to get unless you have source and connections for jbl parts . Mine are vented out the top I’ve seen this model that has a port in front but iam not all that sure on its workings . These sound best with power but does not tax my amps in the least I’ve never found any music that does not sound pleasing and non fatiguing in any way .
That explains things. JBL had an arrangement with Audax at that time, which if I remember correctly was an ownership position for a while. So the drivers are likely Audax.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

If subs are used with these cut them off at 80 hz and they really come to life although the low bass is there but it’s not there if you get my meaning mine are 28 inches to the front from the wall and 10 ft apart to the center of the tweeters ver open and detailed soundstage .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
That explains things. JBL had an arrangement with Audax at that time, which if I remember correctly was an ownership position for a while. So the drivers are likely Audax.
Yes that’s who made the drivers they are very sturdy construction cast baskets and in my research I’ve found the titanium driver at least some were made by peerless and Audax . I’ve had these apart several times was pleasantly surprised but the build quality as well heavy duty 3/4 danish plywood with unusually thick white ash veneer and lock mitered conctruction on all corners .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis