Good 3ch/4ch or 2x2ch Power Amplifier in Budget. 100W@8Ω or more Per Ch.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Great amps Ived used them before. They're prices aren't as low as they used to be but nothing is these days. Also have you thought about looking on the used market?
Getting at $310 for 1502 locally. So yeah better deal.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I have four of them, no readily audible fan noise (perhaps a slight bit if you put your ear up to one)issue nor hiss (with 92dB sensitivity speakers, but do remember chatting with one guy with super sensitive,speakers, like 108dB, in a very quiet room had some hiss issues, but also had the same issue with a Marantz pre-pro...he ended up with Benchmark gear IIRC). Like Dan said, they've gone up in price...and I would get at least 1500s/1502s, better snr spec compared to 1000/1002 models. Mostly they're for my diy subs but have a couple extras so using two on mains again (and did for a few years before I built the subs too).

What is the particular application for you?
I heard behringer is better for SUBs as all Crown amps are know to be clipped at 20Hz. To get below 20Hz oomph I heard Behringer is perfect. Don't know if it is true. Have to double check.

In this thread I am looking for amp to power speakers not SUBs. But just thought I would bring that up to clarify.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I heard behringer is better for SUBs as all Crown amps are know to be clipped at 20Hz. To get below 20Hz oomph I heard Behringer is perfect. Don't know if it is true. Have to double check.

In this thread I am looking for amp to power speakers not SUBs. But just thought I would bring that up to clarify.
What speakers and what are you using currently?

The XLS don't clip at 20 hz, they do roll off a bit from there tho but still work fine with eq if needed. Behringers x-series you would want to change fans or put in a closet generally...altho the A500 might be an alternative for you as they're fanless (but a500 discontinued IIRC, pretty sure A800 is similar design and available).

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

As @lovinthehd said Crowns don't clip below 20 hz they have a shallow roll off and I do mean shallow. There was a thread on AVS where the crowns were tested as well as other amps and they're output below 20hz was monstrous.

The only issue with using the xls for subs is you need a minidsp to set the filter to roll off output at your subs tuning point. You can't put in a shelf filter below 20hz using the built in dsp like you can a behringer. But using a minidsp to eq subs a lot of us do it. And the crown xls series fans are DEAD QUIET. No other company can say that. I never heard mine kick so you don't have to worry about a fan mod.

And they sound awesome running them full range with speakers too!

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
What speakers and what are you using currently?

The XLS don't clip at 20 hz, they do roll off a bit from there tho but still work fine with eq if needed. Behringers x-series you would want to change fans or put in a closet generally...altho the A500 might be an alternative for you as they're fanless (but a500 discontinued IIRC, pretty sure A800 is similar design and available).
As @lovinthehd said Crowns don't clip below 20 hz they have a shallow roll off and I do mean shallow. There was a thread on AVS where the crowns were tested as well as other amps and they're output below 20hz was monstrous.

The only issue with using the xls for subs is you need a minidsp to set the filter to roll off output at your subs tuning point. You can't put in a shelf filter below 20hz using the built in dsp like you can a behringer. But using a minidsp to eq subs a lot of us do it. And the crown xls series fans are DEAD QUIET. No other company can say that. I never heard mine kick so you don't have to worry about a fan mod.

And they sound awesome running them full range with speakers too!
I will definitely read into that AVS thread. But minidsp gonna add good amount to the budget. Well if needed will see. But at that point will consider running 2 x 1000W 18" Subs instead of 1 x 2000W 21" Sub. Lol. Budget going up man. And heard that Corwn XTi is a better deal for SUBs than XLS.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will definitely read into that AVS thread. But minidsp gonna add good amount to the budget. Well if needed will see. But at that point will consider running 2 x 1000W 18" Subs instead of 1 x 2000W 21" Sub. Lol. Budget going up man. And heard that Corwn XTi is a better deal for SUBs than XLS.
I owned the xti your talking about like the 4002 6002 that line up right? Great amps they are not cheap tho I owned some 6002 be warned the fans are LOUD. My rack is in my room and they are to loud for that you need to have them in a seperate room or you need to mod the fans.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I owned the xti your talking about like the 4002 6002 that line up right? Great amps they are not cheap tho I owned some 6002 be warned the fans are LOUD. My rack is in my room and they are to loud for that you need to have them in a seperate room or you need to mod the fans.
XTi 4002 is available for $700. I think it is good as it has 1200W@4Ω Output per Ch. So can power 2 18" Subs with good 1000W+ power easy.

Yes will mod the fans and replace with something from Noctua.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
It seems like I be getting 2 x XLS 1502 and 1 x XTi 4002. Unless anything better shows up. This is going to be it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It seems like I be getting 2 x XLS 1502 and 1 x XTi 4002. Unless anything better shows up. This is going to be it.
You made some good choices excited for you. You'll have to post a thread when you have everything up and running!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yep, great choice. I've got a few Crown amps, including the older model XLS1500, and they're great. They've done a great job with their Class D amps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow all for $500? :) What did you find for pricing? Even used went up a lot the last coupla years....

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Think he might be thinking of

Wow all for $500? :) What did you find for pricing? Even used went up a lot the last coupla years....
No kidding. I got my xls1500 used and it was still $250. That was 10 years ago.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I got I think all four of my XLS1500s new about 9-10 years back, in the $300-350 range....and a used 2502 a couple years ago for $410. (so I actually have five total :) ).

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Nah not $500 for all. It is $620 for two Crown XLS 1502s which is what I will be using for speakers. Crown XTi 4002 I was thinking to purchase for SUBs which was coating $700. But now I am thinking instead of picking up single XTi 4002 I should pick up two more XLS 1502s as that will cost Less and provide similar Power.

So it is $620 for pair of speaker AMPs. And $620 for pair of SUB AMPs. That $500 range was for Speaker AMP alone. So am actually $120 over what I initially planned. But am Saving good on SUB AMPs so it balances out

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis