Good 3ch/4ch or 2x2ch Power Amplifier in Budget. 100W@8Ω or more Per Ch.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I am looking for good 3ch/4ch Power Amp with 100W@8Ω per ch or more.
I found ART SLA-4 but have seen mixed reviews about it. So is there anything better than that.
Yes I can go for 2 x 2ch Power Amp but needs to be around same budget range or less.
Low noise floor. Quiet Fan if possible but can replace it so no prob. But needs to have low to no audible noise floor.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks to be pretty good value for $460. What are the knocks against it?

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I found ART SLA-4 but have seen mixed reviews about it. So is there anything better than that.
Yes I can go for 2 x 2ch Power Amp but needs to be around same budget range or less.
Low noise floor. Quiet Fan if possible but can replace it so no prob. But needs to have low to no audible noise floor.
Parasound A31 or A51

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What is the application? Emotiva have the BasX A3 3x140W @ 8 Ohms $539 and and A4 4x100w @ 8 Ohms $549. My son in law has the A5 and it's pretty good for the price. Reality is they are only about as powerful as good AVR though, so if you are moving from an AVR to a typical 100W amp, you may get a little more headroom because of a separate power supply, but I don't think you'd notice any change in dynamics.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You are looking for a decent and reliable 4 channel amplifier? May I recommend to you the pro audio QSC DCA 1824.
It is an amplifier which is used in Cineplex theaters across North America. As a matter of fact, I am using one in my HT system for the surround channels.

It has excellent specs: True FTC rated 145 watt/ch, all channels driven, with THD of 0.03% from 20 Hz -20K Hz. Unweighted SNR is 107 dB below rated output.
For source signal input, it uses Phoenix type connectors (No XLR). Speaker connectors are screws in a strip.

The only negative feature is that its variable speed cooling fan is a little bit noisy. But there's a way of handling that problem and I understand that you know how to resolve the situation.

Its price is a little bit over your planned budget. But there's a reliable seller on eBay who has two used units in good working order for sale at $849.99. Have a look at this one. That's a good price for a reliable pro audio amplifier with good specs. Moreover, the QSC amps are so well built, you can't kill them. The seller listed it as a dual channel unit but it's a 4 channel amp::

Last edited:
KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
What is the application? Emotiva have the BasX A3 3x140W @ 8 Ohms $539 and and A4 4x100w @ 8 Ohms $549. My son in law has the A5 and it's pretty good for the price. Reality is they are only about as powerful as good AVR though, so if you are moving from an AVR to a typical 100W amp, you may get a little more headroom because of a separate power supply, but I don't think you'd notice any change in dynamics.
Well BasX did not get good review from Audiosciencereview. But will surely consider it. Other issue I have heard of is QC and poor service from Emotiva.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
You are looking for a decent and reliable 4 channel amplifier? May I recommend to you the pro audio QSC DCA 1824.
It is an amplifier which is used in Cineplex theaters across North America. As a matter of fact, I am using one in my HT system for the surround channels.

It has excellent specs: True FTC rated 145 watt/ch, all channels driven, with THD of 0.03% from 20 Hz -20K Hz. Unweighted SNR is 107 dB below rated output.
For source signal input, it uses Phoenix type connectors (No XLR). Speaker connectors are screws in a strip.

The only negative feature is that its variable speed cooling fan is a little bit noisy. But there's a way of handling that problem and I understand that you know how to resolve the situation.

Its price is a little bit over your planned budget. But there's a reliable seller on eBay who has two used units in good working order for sale at $849.99. Have a look at this one. That's a good price for a reliable pro audio amplifier with good specs. Moreover, the QSC amps are so well built, you can't kill them. The seller listed it as a dual channel unit but it's a 4 channel amp::
Was looking into QSC and Crown amps. But that model is discontinued I think.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well BasX did not get good review from Audiosciencereview. But will surely consider it. Other issue I have heard of is QC and poor service from Emotiva.
I have owned Emotiva for years. Previously service was good. More recently when I had an issue, the handling of it was much different, so I can't say that they might not have issues and changes there. I would not say their service is bad or unresponsive, it is just that you might not like the answers they give for a particular issue. Also, for me it was always the processors that had issues, not the amps.

If you want great service from a big name, you probably aren't going to find it in that price range for a new product.

I was going to recommend QSC but I did not see a current 3 or 4 ch model in that price range.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Which is about 2.5X the budget.

Wait, $500 for each 2ch or $500 total?
The amp which I recommended the OP is selling at $849 which is a decent price. If the OP wants reliability, as you already referred to somehow, there's a price for it.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
The amp which I recommended the OP is selling at $849 which is a decent price. If the OP wants reliability, as you already referred to somehow, there's a price for it.
How is QSC GSX3. Would get 2 for a meaningful price. But how is Distortion and Noise Floor.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
How is QSC GSX3. Would get 2 for a meaningful price. But how is Distortion and Noise Floor.
I guess you meant the GX3 model. It has decent specs but THD is only published only at 1 kHz which is not ideal. If it is to be used for surround or Atmos channels, it would not be driven hard, as for HT audio most power is demanded from the 3 front channels. I think that it would provide an acceptable sound quality. The SNR of 100 dB is acceptable.
If you have the possibility to return them if not satisfied, that's desirable.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Guys what is your opinion on Crown XLS series
Great amps Ived used them before. They're prices aren't as low as they used to be but nothing is these days. Also have you thought about looking on the used market?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guys what is your opinion on Crown XLS series
I have four of them, no readily audible fan noise (perhaps a slight bit if you put your ear up to one)issue nor hiss (with 92dB sensitivity speakers, but do remember chatting with one guy with super sensitive,speakers, like 108dB, in a very quiet room had some hiss issues, but also had the same issue with a Marantz pre-pro...he ended up with Benchmark gear IIRC). Like Dan said, they've gone up in price...and I would get at least 1500s/1502s, better snr spec compared to 1000/1002 models. Mostly they're for my diy subs but have a couple extras so using two on mains again (and did for a few years before I built the subs too).

What is the particular application for you?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis