GoldenEar Forcefield 4 Sub

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So I wound up back where I started. I just purchased two (2) of the RSL Speedwoofer 10S Subs. All of the reviews I read (including the one on Audioholics) about the performance of pairing two of these little monsters were very positive. According to what I've read, watched and communicated with you guys, pairing the two may get me at or slightly below the 20Hz. mark. At any rate, I believe the RSL subs will perform well for me for a good while. The good thing about it.... If I am not satisfied I can always return within the 30 day trail. However, I do not see this happening. Joe and the folks at RSL are first class as well as the folks here on this forum. Thanks again for your input! Cheers!!
Hope you enjoy yeah 2 of those guys for $800 is hard to turn down

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
So I have spent several days tweaking my system XO's, sub placement, etc. and have come to the painful conclusion that the two (2) RSL Speedwoofers 10S subs may be too small for my listening area. Again, my listening area is approximately 1800 CuFt. (including cathedral ceiling). It is an open floor-plan with an additional 2000 CuFt to the left of the listening area (dining room) and another 700 CuFt. behind the listening position (kitchen). As good and accurate as the RSL's are I feel I need more output to fill the listening area. I have limited space for my subs but have had a few suggestions on the forum. Some of these have been sealed subs. The ones I am looking at are the PowerSound S1510 / Hsu-ULS-15mk2 / Monolith M15-S (this one is largest and least likely of the three due to its size). SVS could be in the running as well. I know the pros and cons of ported vs sealed regarding output, etc. but I guess my thinking is a very good quality 15" sealed sub should perform very well. I could not purchase two subs at this point but the plan is to add a second one in the not too distant future. Is my thinking straight or am I way off base?

I failed to mention the Rythmik F15HP

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
If a pair of ported 10's is not sufficient it's unlikely a single sealed 15 will turn out to be much different. If you're OK with that until you can add the second then I think it's a good plan.

I reviewed the ULS-15 a few years back and have an M15-S I'm evaluating right now. To my ears the HSU is probably more accurate, while the Monoprice has better output and presence. I've never heard the S1510 so I can't really comment on that one.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
If a pair of ported 10's is not sufficient it's unlikely a single sealed 15 will turn out to be much different. If you're OK with that until you can add the second then I think it's a good plan.

I reviewed the ULS-15 a few years back and have an M15-S I'm evaluating right now. To my ears the HSU is probably more accurate, while the Monoprice has better output and presence. I've never heard the S1510 so I can't really comment on that one.
Is your review of the ULS still accessible?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So I have spent several days tweaking my system XO's, sub placement, etc. and have come to the painful conclusion that the two (2) RSL Speedwoofers 10S subs may be too small for my listening area. Again, my listening area is approximately 1800 CuFt. (including cathedral ceiling). It is an open floor-plan with an additional 2000 CuFt to the left of the listening area (dining room) and another 700 CuFt. behind the listening position (kitchen). As good and accurate as the RSL's are I feel I need more output to fill the listening area. I have limited space for my subs but have had a few suggestions on the forum. Some of these have been sealed subs. The ones I am looking at are the PowerSound S1510 / Hsu-ULS-15mk2 / Monolith M15-S (this one is largest and least likely of the three due to its size). SVS could be in the running as well. I know the pros and cons of ported vs sealed regarding output, etc. but I guess my thinking is a very good quality 15" sealed sub should perform very well. I could not purchase two subs at this point but the plan is to add a second one in the not too distant future. Is my thinking straight or am I way off base?

I failed to mention the Rythmik F15HP
I still feel that ported is the way to go for you since you like movies so much I'm just thinking either dual pc 2000's or dual pc 4000's they are only a 16.5 inch footprint in diameter they are just taller then there boxed brethren

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
I still feel that ported is the way to go for you since you like movies so much I'm just thinking either dual pc 2000's or dual pc 4000's they are only a 16.5 inch footprint in diameter they are just taller then there boxed brethren
I could possibly do dual PC-2000's. Would the downfiring design present any issues sitting on a hardwood floor?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I could possibly do dual PC-2000's. Would the downfiring design present any issues sitting on a hardwood floor?
Not really I kind off like that rumble actually lol you can always use one of those isolated-pads or rig one yourself if you think you'll need it or the PC 2000 already come with the isolation feet on them. Some people say they can hear a difference some say they can't I just use them on my PB 4000's because it's easier to pick them up lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nope. It would be fine. It’s too bad that SVS hasn’t offered a PC3000. That’s the newer version of my pluses and I think would be great in that space. I think sealed will be a bad deal for you unless you do 3 or more 15’s.
A pair of pc2k’s(formerly nsd)would also be pretty nice as @danzilla mentioned.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
OK, so based on input from experienced folks and many articles read, a sealed unit(s) is out. The top choice is now 2 of the PC-2000's. However, my wife and niece brought home a new kitten yesterday and that D#@! thing is scratching up the world. I can see this wild cat climbing to the top of the PC's. If that happened, it would not be good for the kitten. So after discussing with the wife I can shift some of the furniture to accommodate a ported box(es). I am currently looking at the Rythmik LVX12, Hsu VTF-3 mk5, Monoprice 12" ultra THX. Even with moving the furniture the depth(27") of the SVS PB-2000 takes it out of the equation. I appreciate your patience with me on this endeavor. I just want to get it right this time. Thanks again!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Instead of PC there is also PB. The SVS PB2000 has metal grills.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Instead of PC there is also PB. The SVS PB2000 has metal grills.
The OP states in the post above that the depth of the PB-2000 won't work for him.
OK, so based on input from experienced folks and many articles read, a sealed unit(s) is out. The top choice is now 2 of the PC-2000's. However, my wife and niece brought home a new kitten yesterday and that D#@! thing is scratching up the world. I can see this wild cat climbing to the top of the PC's. If that happened, it would not be good for the kitten. So after discussing with the wife I can shift some of the furniture to accommodate a ported box(es). I am currently looking at the Rythmik LVX12, Hsu VTF-3 mk5, Monoprice 12" ultra THX. Even with moving the furniture the depth(27") of the SVS PB-2000 takes it out of the equation. I appreciate your patience with me on this endeavor. I just want to get it right this time. Thanks again!
The VTF-3 mk5 and Monolith THX 12" will unquestionably outperform the LVX12. Their drivers are on a whole other level. Keep in mind that all of these subs have fabric grilles, by the way. You might consider the Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12, it is an excellent performer, and there is nothing for a cat to scratch on it. No fabric anywhere, and no vulnerable foam surround since the sub is down-firing.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
The OP states in the post above that the depth of the PB-2000 won't work for him.

The VTF-3 mk5 and Monolith THX 12" will unquestionably outperform the LVX12. Their drivers are on a whole other level. Keep in mind that all of these subs have fabric grilles, by the way. You might consider the Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12, it is an excellent performer, and there is nothing for a cat to scratch on it. No fabric anywhere, and no vulnerable foam surround since the sub is down-firing.
I'm not familiar with the outlaw sub. Is it a good performer? How does it compare to the others?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm not familiar with the outlaw sub. Is it a good performer? How does it compare to the others?
The Outlaw will be on the level of the PB-2000. Probably a bit beefier than the Rythmik but probably doesn't quite have the deep bass performance of the Monolith 12" but might be close. The VTF-3 will have mid-bass performance that will be a major step up from any of these 12"s.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Might add a little something that can help. 2/3 of my subs are PC’s. I’ve had cats in my house for a looong time, and I’ve had my subs in various positions and none have even given my subs a glance. The thing to do is make sure they have their own place to scratch. I have a DIY scratch tower made very easily with a 4x4 attached to a baseplate and some sisal rope wrapped and stapled around it. It’s next to the end of the couch and nobody can even tell that it’s there. Even with the platform I put on top. Put a couple of other scratchers around the house and show kitty where they are(and scratch em to show her what to do lol) and my guess is you’ll be ok. Especially if the scratchers are not exactly in the same locations, and the subs are tucked away, which it sounds like they’ll be.
I’m not an expert, just have had some good luck by making sure my cat has his own toys, and then he pretty much doesn’t care about mine. I don’t believe in declawing, although when I was young and stupid I did have it done on my cat. She lived to be 19 and didn’t seem to mind but still. Also, keeping the nails trimmed helps a lot. Just be careful not to go too deep. Good luck!

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
Might add a little something that can help. 2/3 of my subs are PC’s. I’ve had cats in my house for a looong time, and I’ve had my subs in various positions and none have even given my subs a glance. The thing to do is make sure they have their own place to scratch. I have a DIY scratch tower made very easily with a 4x4 attached to a baseplate and some sisal rope wrapped and stapled around it. It’s next to the end of the couch and nobody can even tell that it’s there. Even with the platform I put on top. Put a couple of other scratchers around the house and show kitty where they are(and scratch em to show her what to do lol) and my guess is you’ll be ok. Especially if the scratchers are not exactly in the same locations, and the subs are tucked away, which it sounds like they’ll be.
I’m not an expert, just have had some good luck by making sure my cat has his own toys, and then he pretty much doesn’t care about mine. I don’t believe in declawing, although when I was young and stupid I did have it done on my cat. She lived to be 19 and didn’t seem to mind but still. Also, keeping the nails trimmed helps a lot. Just be careful not to go too deep. Good luck!
Thanks for the input. We have a 7 year old cat we rescued that has never had a desire to scratch up things but the kitten well......I will definitely get her a few scratching posts, etc.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the input. We have a 7 year old cat we rescued that has never had a desire to scratch up things but the kitten well......I will definitely get her a few scratching posts, etc.
Yeah, I would say the kitten, being a kitten, is a wild card!
A mature cat is totally different!
Dogs are the same!
Hell, people are the same ... an infant puts everything they can into their mouth, LOL!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
So late to the party, I have the FF4 in my bedroom, it is a decent sub for the price, and yes you can definitely get better pricing, though it looks like you changed direction. I have a very solid GE dealer I buy from. I would also suggest as others already have, to compare against other brands. I will say that GE is another company who has provided excellent pre/post customer support. I have even spoken with Sandy Gross a few times as I was putting my system together.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I looked at the Hsu, Monoprice, Outaw and others mentioned and kept circling back to the SVS PC-2000 mainly because of the footprint. I called SVS and spoke with Ed Mullen. He was very helpful and answered all of my questions satisfactorily with the exception of how to keep a kitten from tearing them up..LOL. So, I ordered two of these and hope to receive them tomorrow. I'll post a pic and let you folks know how they do. Cheers!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I looked at the Hsu, Monoprice, Outaw and others mentioned and kept circling back to the SVS PC-2000 mainly because of the footprint. I called SVS and spoke with Ed Mullen. He was very helpful and answered all of my questions satisfactorily with the exception of how to keep a kitten from tearing them up..LOL. So, I ordered two of these and hope to receive them tomorrow. I'll post a pic and let you folks know how they do. Cheers!!
Awesome!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis