gold plated 8K HDMI cable - is it worth it?

K

KingSirus

Enthusiast
Hey everybody,

I'm pretty new to online forums, so let me know if this is the right kind of thing I should be posting on here :)

I've recently set up a home cinema system which includes a brand new smart TV, sub and speaker set up.

I'm looking for accessories online and I'm considering buying a gold-plated, 8K HDMI cable with a transfer rate of 48GB per second from a website.

It seems to be a relatively okay price compared to some of the others that I've seen (John Lewis is £99, and there are some online that go up to £2500!!!!) but I wanted to ask: what is the efficacy of this kind of hardware and what kinds of quality difference am I likely to experience?

The TV I have is 8K so I'm presuming I'm better off with a cable that has a high transfer rate?

Josef

Attachments

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Sure why not. It’s most likely foil and will chip and peal off easily but that shouldn’t affect performance as the wires are most likely copper. The real question is what’s the gigabits per second rating on the cable and how much do you need?

LOL, just kidding, that cable is pure marketing garbage.! Tell us about your setup and we’ll recommend the correct HDMI cable that costs under $20.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I don't spend over 15 bucks on HDMI cables. Just get the speed you need and from a decent non snake oil company and you are good to go.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well one thread is sufficient for starters, but never "needed" a gold plated hdmi connector myself.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Go on amazon and look and give us a link of what you choose before your purchase. I wouldn't spend over $15 like the others here said.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The actual HDMI connector should be gold plated to prevent corrosion for the best connectivity. Even the inexpensive $15 Amazon Basics HDMI cables are gold plated. Anything else being gold plated serves no purpose except adding cost for unsuspecting consumers. "Higher" transfer rate is not exactly a factor here as there is no requirement that I am aware of for an 8K specific cable, that is a generic sales term which is again, there to get less knowledgeable consumers to click on it.

K

KingSirus

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the one I posted at the start of the thread. This all started from my lg tv hdmi not working and ended up with an 8K TV, a premium high speed HDMI cable and a new playstation. Found out later that the new games aren't even at 8K yet. Got the item from the UKHDMI company, BUNU - seemed totally fine but there again I won't know till the games come out lol.

Packaging says its HDMI ultra HD Deep Color alongside lots of other buzzwords. Does anyone else have experiences with companies like this?

One I did see was futureshop which is honestly totally crazy

Last edited by a moderator:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oof. That’s still a lot of coinage for an hdmi cable.
Hopefully it came with a gold plated straw and an 8-ball! :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Games just became 4K with the PS5 and new Xbox. You can expect to wait a long time for 8K games.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...I ended up getting the one I posted at the start of the thread...
You basically came on here, got advice telling you not to screw yourself over with an overpriced cable, then you bought it anyway and got screwed on the price.

WHY COME HERE?

It clearly wasn't for advice since you already got suckered into a top dollar display which has no content actually available for it. Now you WAY overpaid for a 3 foot HDMI cable which is next level silly.

Hopefully others can learn from your choices.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the one I posted at the start of the thread. This all started from my lg tv hdmi not working and ended up with an 8K TV, a premium high speed HDMI cable and a new playstation. Found out later that the new games aren't even at 8K yet. Got the item from the UKHDMI company, BUNU - seemed totally fine but there again I won't know till the games come out lol.

Packaging says its HDMI ultra HD Deep Color alongside lots of other buzzwords. Does anyone else have experiences with companies like this?

Does it have the actual HDMI certification? https://hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Literally...

CERTIFIED...

48Gb/s HDMI Cable

Twice as long....

11 bucks!!!!

Silliness to overpay for cables.
Omfg, THIS!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

What did it cost ? Paying a big premium on cables is a snake oil trick .. not worth it unless your filthy rich due to the tiny gains in performance or even lower quality then cheap stuff .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You basically came on here, got advice telling you not to screw yourself over with an overpriced cable, then you bought it anyway and got screwed on the price.

WHY COME HERE?

It clearly wasn't for advice since you already got suckered into a top dollar display which has no content actually available for it. Now you WAY overpaid for a 3 foot HDMI cable which is next level silly.

I’ve gotten short cables like that $1 each before on sale , what a waste of money .. they work as good as my $60 one I bought ages ago … most I’ve spent on a cable due to my own ignorance back then .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic

WHY COME HERE?

Have you seen the prices of GOLD lately :p:p Let's Go Brandon..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis