Going from 5.1 to 7.1 and want to know what speakers to get

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Looks like the "veneer" is releasing from the surface causing waves in it. As if there was a moisture issue, and it would usually take a very long exposure or standing water to cause that sort of thing I would think. If that is the case it could have already compromised the cabinet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the "veneer" is releasing from the surface causing waves in it. As if there was a moisture issue, and it would usually take a very long exposure or standing water to cause that sort of thing I would think. If that is the case it could have already compromised the cabinet.

When I pulled up the ad only three images came up (I have crappy internet at times)....is that an actual veneer or a vinyl wrap, tho? I'd like to hear the story from the current owner....

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Thanks @lovinthehd. You can see the damage in the fourth picture. He said he would sell them to me for $50. He said there is no back mount so I have to find a way to hang them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks @lovinthehd. You can see the damage in the fourth picture. He said he would sell them to me for $50. He said there is no back mount so I have to find a way to hang them.
Yes I amended after seeing the other post. Not crazy about the extent of that without knowing more, but if the cabinet is still solid $50 sounds good. You can drill into the cabinet for mounts or use something like these https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Universal-Clamping-Bookshelf-Mounting/dp/B01MZE0O8U?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MZE0O8U

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
In the second pic you can see the corner separation from the wood swelling. Personally I would pass.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
One of them (at least) has gotten VERY wet at some point. How that moisture affects the cabinet is obvious, you'd have to pull a driver off to look inside and see if there's mold within the acoustic stuffing and/or corrosion of the crossover components.

I wouldn't bother.

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
@lovinthehd if you think the quality is better at a cheaper prices I'm going with those. I want to mount them to my ceiling and have them point down towards where I sit. What would be the best way to do that? I didn't see a picture of the back of it is it just red/black speaker wire connection?

Thank you again for your help

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@lovinthehd if you think the quality is better at a cheaper prices I'm going with those. I want to mount them to my ceiling and have them point down towards where I sit. What would be the best way to do that? I didn't see a picture of the back of it is it just red/black speaker wire connection?

You can also get a used pair on eBay:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Klipsch-R-14M-Bookshelf-Speakers-PAIR/123045488110?hash=item1ca61525ee:g:~yMAAOSwhjRauvK

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Thank you @Verdinut. The reason I got them from Amazon is a have a gift card to cover it.

@lovinthehd I went ahead and ordered them since they said there was only one pair left. I just have to figure out the mounting now. Thanks for your help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Not so much the quality, they're the same family of speaker, they just are designed to disperse sound differently, and I prefer a normal speaker for that.

I don't know if it has the threaded inserts or keyhole mount some speakers do; didn't see a pic of the R14M rear, but the 14S had a keyhole mount. Can't do high up on the wall near the ceiling? On ceiling could pose some mounting challenges I'd think but never really tried. You can always drive screws into a speaker cabinet as long as you don't create an air leak or mind the alteration's affect on resale value.

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Hello @lovinthehd , The speakers do have a keyhole mount in the back. I can't mount it like I want with that. I'm going to try and contact Klipsch and see what they recommend. Thank you

Update: Just saw the price went down almost $20 on Amazon. They don't price match so I'm going to return them and re-buy them.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis