Going from 5.1 to 7.1 and want to know what speakers to get

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

I just purchased a Denon X3400 avr and I wanted to buy 2 additional speakers to make it 7.1.
These are the speakers I have www.jamo.com/products/s426hcs3.

First off would I be better off buying speakers that will go in the back of my room attached to the ceiling or the ones that will go on the side of where we will be sitting?

I'm on a budget of around $100.

Thank you

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can you buy 2 more s420 surrounds? I looked on eBay quick but didn’t find much. A more detailed search could probably find some other jamo speakers that will likely be voiced more closely. IMO that makes a big difference.

Ideally this is how it will look from above. I would not put them in the ceiling, or on the ceiling if you don’t have to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is the layout of your room/seating? Rear surrounds don't do a lot, so not critical as to what speakers they are to an extent.

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Thank you everyone for your replies. Currently my setup is in a normal sized room in my basement. It is almost exactly like the image that William posted except I don't have the surround left or right that are in the middle. I have 2 standing speakers in the front with the center speaker and subwoofer. The back speakers are high up but they are pointing down towards the couch in the center of my room. I have younger children and if I have the smaller speakers on stands they would eventually knock them down.

I think I will try and find two speakers like the Jamo ones I have now in the back and use them for the middle 2 speakers. That should be good correct?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as your seat is also similar, i.e. not on the back wall but several feet away from it, the rear speakers should be fine. I'd put better speakers at the surround position over rear surround, tho (if not identical).

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
As long as your seat is also similar, i.e. not on the back wall but several feet away from it, the rear speakers should be fine. I'd put better speakers at the surround position over rear surround, tho (if not identical).
Lovinthehd, The couch is a few feet from the back wall. So you are saying the new speakers I purchase which will be surround right and left should be better then the ones I'm currently using for the back left and right?

Is there a specific name for the surround left and right speakers that are inline with where I sit?

Thank you

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In order to appreciate rear/back surrounds your seat should be several feet away from the back wall where the rear/back surrounds are mounted.

Yes, the specific name is surround speakers (those that are to your left/right basically), and as they get more info than the rear/back surrounds, I'd use better speakers in the surround position than in the rear/back surround positions....ideally you want the same speaker in every position but that's often not practical...

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Thank you @lovinthehd. Do you have any suggestions on what brand/speakers I should look into based on the setup I currently have?

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
I love those for that price if they were in Michigan. I think shipping would cost a lot.
I'll keep looking for a deal or for another set of Jamo speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bingo! -- buy and take what you want, and then resale the rest
Or make an offer on just the surrounds, shipping shouldn't be too horrible that way? Nothing in your stash needs to go away that might work for him ? :)

@jerry8989 indeed keep checking craiglist/fleabay for used speakers (I'd prefer ones I can put hands on/test first, tho), used speakers tend to be very good value if not destroyed by age or abuse (like rotted foam surrounds or a blown voice coil).

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Thank you @lovinthehd and @zieglj01. Are those ones from eBay going to be loud enough are the surround or would I put those in back and move my other ones up? I would rather go with the eBay ones so at least there is some security if they don't work.

I'm going to contact the other person from Craigslist just to see if he is willing to sell just the surround speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just searched Craigslist in my area and found these:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/d/speakers/6517501960.html

Are these worth that price? Does the cabinet damage cause an sound issues?

Thank you
Hard to know what he means by cabinet damage, be nice if he had taken a picture of that. It may just be aesthetic, since he says it doesn't affect the sound, but would be nice to know just what it is. If it is aesthetic also good to know you can place the speaker so you don't have to look at it....but those speakers should work well for your use...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis