Going Atmos - converting bedroom into theater 10x15

O

otto2008

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone- just curious on what the best setup would be for this size room. I was hoping for a 5.2.4 or would 7.2.2 be my practical and less expensive being that i have to buy a new receiver? Though my Yamaha receiver has these "presence" speakers for heights would these suffice? ,again the Yamaha isnt 4k etc..
Would i still be getting the "atmos" feel??
My set up:
Polk Monitor 70s, 40s and CS10
Receiver - Yamaha RX 700
Amp - Crown XLS 1500 300 watt amp into 8 ohms
Subwoofer - HSU vtf 15H and PSA XV30FSE

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Otto,

Do you have an 8 foot ceiling?

IMHO 5.2.4 would be the maximum I'd do in your space. And that would depend on placement of the speakers chosen and of the furniture.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi everyone- just curious on what the best setup would be for this size room. I was hoping for a 5.2.4 or would 7.2.2 be my practical and less expensive being that i have to buy a new receiver? Though my Yamaha receiver has these "presence" speakers for heights would these suffice? ,again the Yamaha isnt 4k etc..
Would i still be getting the "atmos" feel??
My set up:
Polk Monitor 70s, 40s and CS10
Receiver - Yamaha RX 700
Amp - Crown XLS 1500 300 watt amp into 8 ohms
Subwoofer - HSU vtf 15H and PSA XV30FSE
I’m gonna say no. You won’t get the Atmos feel, sorry. From what I found on the rx700 it doesn’t decode Atmos. So while you can definitely use the presence speakers(unfortunately that’s how they refer to real too/height speakers iirc) it won’t be the same. Ime with them, it just makes the front stage a little taller. While definitely enjoyable, all it does is extract out of phase info from the LR speakers and adds it the presence speakers. As far as actually implementing Atmos, I’m definitely an advocate. Imo some Atmos is better than none. The problem with going beyond 5ch(bed layer) is that most of the time the bed is against the wall, not leaving suitable room for rear surrounds, and imo putting those speakers there does more harm than good. So I think 5.1.2 is the best choice in that situation. I believe I will do the same in my bedroom for the same reasons. 5.1.4 is much more immersive since you benefit from front to back overhead panning, and better object placement etc, but if the speakers can’t be placed correctly than the compromise is too great. IMO.
So, you’ll need a new AVR. And if you go that direction I would set up 5.1 with surrounds a little above ear level when propped up against the headboard, with height speakers somewhere between directly above the knees or feet. Some Dolby literature suggests keeping them the same width apart as the mains but Ime it depends on the ceiling height, as Atmos is all about angles, not arbitrary placement rules.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Cramming so many speakers into a small space will not yield the results you're expecting. In my 11x14 media room I have two atmos ceiling speakers and it takes a certain kind of soundtrack to focus sound above as opposed to being overwhelmed by the side surrounds and the back surrounds are hard to hear if your seating has a head rest behind your head. Having an AVR with DIRAC could help or even a single ceiling speaker directly above your listening position instead or 2 or 4- those are hard to distinguish from the side and back surrounds.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I’m gonna say no. You won’t get the Atmos feel, sorry. From what I found on the rx700 it doesn’t decode Atmos. So while you can definitely use the presence speakers(unfortunately that’s how they refer to real too/height speakers iirc) it won’t be the same. Ime with them, it just makes the front stage a little taller. While definitely enjoyable, all it does is extract out of phase info from the LR speakers and adds it the presence speakers. As far as actually implementing Atmos, I’m definitely an advocate. Imo some Atmos is better than none. The problem with going beyond 5ch(bed layer) is that most of the time the bed is against the wall, not leaving suitable room for rear surrounds, and imo putting those speakers there does more harm than good. So I think 5.1.2 is the best choice in that situation. I believe I will do the same in my bedroom for the same reasons. 5.1.4 is much more immersive since you benefit from front to back overhead panning, and better object placement etc, but if the speakers can’t be placed correctly than the compromise is too great. IMO.
So, you’ll need a new AVR. And if you go that direction I would set up 5.1 with surrounds a little above ear level when propped up against the headboard, with height speakers somewhere between directly above the knees or feet. Some Dolby literature suggests keeping them the same width apart as the mains but Ime it depends on the ceiling height, as Atmos is all about angles, not arbitrary placement rules.
Hopefully I got this right. As per the title of the Thread "Going Atmos - converting bedroom into theater 10x15" . There will be no Headboard, Bed, etc. as it no longer will be a bedroom.

But of course I could be wrong...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully I got this right. As per the title of the Thread "Going Atmos - converting bedroom into theater 10x15" . There will be no Headboard, Bed, etc. as it no longer will be a bedroom.

But otoh don't know what the seating plan is....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Well that’s a really good point. I’m not very intuitive at the moment. You may very well be correct. Somehow I just took it as adding a theater to his bedroom. Hopefully he’ll clarify soon. In any case I’d still rule against a 7ch bed. But 5.1.4 has potential, based on the parameters you mentioned. Wait and see!

O

otto2008

Audioholic Intern
Sorry all - yes a theatre room , no bed etc... just 2 theatre seats...and are my subs way too big in size for this room? should i just use 1???

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seats in the middle of the room I take it? The subs are on the large size vs room size, but if you already have them.....and you aren't going to need their floor space otherwise....

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
As you already have 2 Subs, use them. It will even out the Bass although with only 2 seats one should still sound fine if placed correctly. I think if you buy a good AVR you won't need to use the Crown but it wouldn't hurt either. I'm all for the KISS Principle.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis