Go republicans! Let's restrict womens bodies again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
With the major exception that none of the Canadian Provinces had a slavery-driven economy as in the US southern colonies/states.

Thanks for all the illustrations of the Canadian point of view toward the USA. I was aware only of the Canadian fear of being absorbed/engulfed/conquered by the USA after the US Civil War. Canada clearly felt threatened even though the USA, both northern & southern states, were exhausted by the costly and bloody war. There was no drive to expand to the north – at least none that is recognized by historians today.
To be clear, there was slavery in Canada, but pretty limited. And, although abolished throughout the British Empire in 1833, it was practically non-existent in Canada by the end of the 18th century. It certainly never had a significant impact on the economy here.

Many of the loyalists who left the US for Canada brought slaves with them, but gradually ended up losing them, as it was frowned upon, socially and legally.

Whether the US had any genuine designs on absorbing Canadian territory, the perception was certainly real. The Fenian raids and the concept of Manifest Destiny was hardly comforting.

And, the Canadian Pacific Railway was built mainly to ensure the prairies and British Columbia weren't absorbed by the US.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Nancy Pelosi receives communion in the Vatican, despite her support of abortion rights:

But supporting the death penality is OK by some of the American Catholic Bishops, even though the Vatican is against it. Pro-birth, not pro-life, and staunchly pro-semen.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
But supporting the death penality is OK by some of the American Catholic Bishops, even though the Vatican is against it. Pro-birth, not pro-life, or even pro-semen.
They even executed innocent people because they were not sharing the same opinion 500 years ago. They also threatened Galileo when he told them that our planet was not flat.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
While I agree with AOC's thoughts(in principal) I believe her interpretation of 'separation of power' is rather skewed

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
They even executed innocent people because they were not sharing the same opinion 500 years ago. They also threatened Galileo when he told them that our planet was not flat.
We could use another renaissance, but even if Italians had it in them to pull it off again, I don't think it'd be enough given how ignorant the world has become.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
To be clear, there was slavery in Canada, but pretty limited. And, although abolished throughout the British Empire in 1833, it was practically non-existent in Canada by the end of the 18th century. It certainly never had a significant impact on the economy here.

Many of the loyalists who left the US for Canada brought slaves with them, but gradually ended up losing them, as it was frowned upon, socially and legally.

Whether the US had any genuine designs on absorbing Canadian territory, the perception was certainly real. The Fenian raids and the concept of Manifest Destiny was hardly comforting.

And, the Canadian Pacific Railway was built mainly to ensure the prairies and British Columbia weren't absorbed by the US.
Article XI of the Articles of Confederation (the first US Constitution) addresses the American design on Canada, at least the Maritime Provinces:

Article XI. Canada acceding to this confederation, and joining in the measures of the united states, shall be admitted into, and entitled to all the advantages of this union: but no other colony shall be admitted into the same, unless such admission be agreed to by nine states.

The War of 1812 was in large part waged to kick the brits totally out of Canada to allow absorption of British controlled Canada into the Union.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, that story is popping up here and there.

Any sane person would dismiss it but I’m curious how it will be handled be the pro-birth extremists that legally, but illegitimately, rules so many parts of USA.
I would make them say "it's not a person yet" to set the precedent.

I want to do the same on my taxes when one kid was born the year after my wife got pregnant. If they already have rights, then I should be able to claim them on my taxes. Make them tell me why I can't.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Of course a Republican would do this.

>>>
Indiana’s Republican attorney general said on Wednesday that his office planned to investigate the Indiana doctor who helped a 10-year-old rape victim who crossed state lines to have an abortion.

Dr. Caitlin Bernard, an obstetrician-gynecologist in Indianapolis, has told multiple outlets that she provided care to the 10-year-old after a child abuse doctor in Ohio contacted her. The child was six weeks and three days into the pregnancy, Bernard said. After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last month, a wave of state-level abortion restrictions took effect, including in Ohio, a state that bans abortions after about six weeks of pregnancy, with no exceptions for rape or incest.
<<<

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic

>>>
Indiana’s Republican attorney general said on Wednesday that his office planned to investigate the Indiana doctor who helped a 10-year-old rape victim who crossed state lines to have an abortion.

Dr. Caitlin Bernard, an obstetrician-gynecologist in Indianapolis, has told multiple outlets that she provided care to the 10-year-old after a child abuse doctor in Ohio contacted her. The child was six weeks and three days into the pregnancy, Bernard said. After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last month, a wave of state-level abortion restrictions took effect, including in Ohio, a state that bans abortions after about six weeks of pregnancy, with no exceptions for rape or incest.
<<<

Actually, this is a good thing for the wrong reasons which will ultimately lead to a case which may possibly force these laws to ruled as un-Constitutional.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

>>>

<<<

I can probably file that under Why Republicans Lose Elections. :confused:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Actually, this is a good thing for the wrong reasons which will ultimately lead to a case which may possibly force these laws to ruled as un-Constitutional.
With the current make up of the US Supreme Court? I doubt that.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
The "originalist" judges will cherry-pick some history to justify whatever they want, so I'm not that optimistic.
Their logic (or illlogic) which is now known will allow arguments to be made that negate their originalist nonsense. In fact, I foresee the 9th amendment get some actual life.

Peace653

Peace653

Audiophyte
Not much right about Kavanaugh and the other republican turds conteplating their personal politics being forced on us on the other hand. Might piss someone off....
This is a typical progressive far left answer when they don't get their way.. SCOTUS is an apolitical entity but the left want to change that and the constitution to align with their beliefs. Their answer, as always, is violence, harassment. Kick and scream like toddlers. Most don't even look at policy, if they did Biden would never had been elected. Now we have the worst President in this country's history. Biden's allegiance is to China where he and his criminal family continue to rake in the money. Biden has failed at every turn and it continues to get worse, if that's possible. His advisors sure didn't vet Harris as his running mate. They only looked at the color of her skin and saw a way to gain the black vote. 81,000,000 people voted out of hate not policy. All they wanted is to have Trump out. Well Biden is now a lame duck two years into his term. This administration has surpassed the destructive Carter/Mondale administration by a long shot. I find it hard to believe that even the most far left fools can honestly say that the country is on the right track. Biden told us what he planned on doing but the 81,000,000 weren't listening or cared. Not one person can honestly say that they are better off now than only two years ago. Key word is honesty. They, like Biden, accept no responsibility for the demise of the nation. It's always someone else that are at fault. Everything we as Americans are experiencing has everything to do with Biden's failed policies and he does not care. The American people should demand that Biden take a cognitive exam, which he would fail. Even if he agreed to a cognitive exam it should be given by an outside independent Neurologist, not the Whitehouse physician. Don't hold your breath because it will never happen. The Democrats excel in their manic spending spree. Money the country doesn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis