Go republicans! Let's restrict womens bodies again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
The FDA does not make any product. You may be right about now. The long run depends on how efficiently the governement manages or solves this issue amoung many others until November,. Then it will be a big point.
The government doesn't manage production of any product, only the safety of products.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sad, truly sad as someone that is dealing with this issue first hand. We have a 4 month old and we are scrambling for formula. We actually found a bit on Amazon but don't be here for a while. May 29th for some, June 7 for some more. Hopefully those dates hold. .
It almost seems like they are robots, oppose everything unless boss says don't oppose it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

The FDA does not make any product. You may be right about now. The long run depends on how efficiently the governement manages or solves this issue amoung many others until November,. Then it will be a big point.
But some sectors want a smaller, way smaller government. And one or two out there wants to cut 50% of workers at the IRS, the one office that makes money hand over fist.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
The government doesn't manage production of any product, only the safety of products.
You might be underestimating the impact of taxation, regulation, import/export laws, and the countless other ways the government influences the the private sector. All these things influence production, supply/demand and prices.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
But some sectors want a smaller, way smaller government. And one or two out there wants to cut 50% of workers at the IRS, the one office that makes money hand over fist.
There is certainly a balance to be struck on size of government. History has shown that the bigger a government grows and spends at some point it slows and weakens economic activity. We would not know about the IRS's return on investment because the government will not allow an outside party to audit. Only the government audits the government.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Well,. if someone wants to come up with a better/as good alternative without costing as much, let them. Apparently, they make so much on this stuff that it was shoplifted on a daily basis before this shutdown.
It.was shoplifted because it's not cheap.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
There is certainly a balance to be struck on size of government. History has shown that the bigger a government grows and spends at some point it slows and weakens economic activity. We would not know about the IRS's return on investment because the government will not allow an outside party to audit. Only the government audits the government.
Government isn't a business and as such shouldn't be measured by metrics that are applicable to business.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Government isn't a business and as such shouldn't be measured by metrics that are applicable to business.
These same people that think the government should be run like a business would truly hate it if it suddenly was actually run as a business. On many, many levels they would truly hate their life.

Last edited:
U

Uncle_Big_Green

Audioholic Intern
First, I don't want the A word - at least in the beginning of a pregnancy, to be illegal. Now that I've got that out of the way, there are lots of histrionics here. Those suffering from it should look in the mirror and ask themselves why they're so bent out of shape about something that the PoS Chuck the Schmuck promoted getting shot down. I'm telling you as someone who's not a cheerleader for either party - that guy sucks hard and you know it.

Constitutionally, this is a 9th and a 4th issue. To whom those apply depends on when life is defined as beginning. That's really the issue that (understandably) no one wants to touch, and that can gets kicked down the road. That being said, if you're in support of a convenience (not mother's health) A word happening 4 days before the due date, then something is wrong with you.

The religious part of this discussion is a little lacking. I know atheists who want the A word illegal and some of you have conveniently not mentioned and criticized another religion's stance on it.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That being said, if you're in support of a convenience (not mother's health) abortion happening 4 days before the due date, then something is wrong with you.

The religious part of this discussion is a little lacking. I know atheists who want the A word illegal and some of you have conveniently not mentioned and criticized another religion's stance on it.
Don't be stupid, nobody is getting an abortion 4 days before they give birth. NOBODY. Secondly, just say "abortion" and not the "A word."

You have, also conveniently, not mentioned which other religion you're hinting at. Never mind that it doesn't matter anyway, as a major point of this topic has been that someone's religious views on abortion should have no effect on the availability of an abortion to anyone else. We aren't banning bacon because you aren't supposed to eat pork according to the Jewish religion or alcohol because it's not permitted in the Muslim religion. Jews and Muslims simply just decide on their own whether or not they want to partake of those "forbidden" things.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
A nice article about the leaked Supreme Court preliminary opinion by the author of The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood. Well worth reading.

Several interesting historic points about women and ends with:

>>>… If Justice Alito wants you to be governed by the laws of the 17th century, you should take a close look at that century. Is that when you want to live?<<<

highfigh

highfigh

We love monopolies here. HUGE fans.

I know that when I buy products I want one choice only. Lots of incentive to innovate when you have no competition.
Well, ya know, when the decision-making is taken out of the hands of the consumers, it just makes life easier.

They allow monopolies because they care about us, right? :rolleyes:

highfigh

highfigh

Why would that stop blaming the government for everything? ;) :D
According to this link, which is similar to the Reuter's article, the FDA basically sat on their hands when the Abbot plant shut down and whatever investigation happened was slowed by inertia in both- while the bacteria wasn't found in the areas where the formula was made, it was found in the plant.

From the article,

"The company halted production while Food and Drug Administration inspectors conducted a six-week investigation of the plant."

"Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., reported last month that a whistleblower had contacted the FDA in October with allegations about unsafe conditions and practices at the plant, including falsifying plant records and failing to properly test formula for contamination. She said the FDA did not interview the whistleblower until late December. Califf is scheduled to answer questions from DeLauro and other lawmakers on Thursday."

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Agree with you the government is not a business per se but only in the sense of a "manufacturing" business. There are public and private companies that specialize in safety measures and just about everything the government bureaucracies do. The question becomes who would do a better job and find a balance between government supervision and services provided.

My "return on equity" IRS comment addressed an earlier comment on the IRS making money. Even though a government is not a business per se, there should be audits performed by outside parties. Audits are not to measure profitability, they are to determine compliance and transparency which is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis