Gloss Speakers for Home Theatre

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
I know it’s not ideal, but how big of an issue is it to have gloss black fronts (and centre) in a home theatre setup with a projector? I’m looking at upgrading my centre and fronts (which are right beside the screen), but the model I want is only available in a gloss finish. I guess the issue would be with reflections, but is it really that significant of an issue? Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have used piano finish black speakers with tvs without issue, not sure how much different a projector would be as don't have one. You could always drape something over them....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Have used piano finish black speakers with tvs without issue, not sure how much different a projector would be as don't have one. You could always drape something over them....
Same here, I agree.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
Yea, I was thinking I could cover the sides closest to the screen with a temporary vinyl covering or something if absolutely necessary.

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
My speakers are white and have a glossy top. To be honest I don't find it distracting (no more than the reflected light on my white walls anyway) but I can imagine it may be a bit more of an issue if the sides of the speakers are glossy.

As other have said though worst case scenario you could drape something over then or even apply some removable vinyl sticker to the effected areas ina matte color..

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
I guess at the end of the day, the performance of the speaker is more important than the finish look of it. As was said, I can always modify the finish somewhat if reflection is that big of an issue, as opposed to going with a lesser speaker with a flatter finish or moving to a higher price point.

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
Sorry, my bad. Nothing too outrageous, but looking to upgrade current paradigm monitors to the premier 800f and 600c (or maybe 500c).

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, my bad. Nothing too outrageous, but looking to upgrade current paradigm monitors to the premier 800f and 600c (or maybe 500c).
That would be an excellent upgrade. Did they stop making the Expresso finish? Don't see it listed as an option any more, but you might find some old stock. Only see the gloss finishes on their web site.

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
I’m told they discontinued the espresso grain finish for some reason and only have old stock left in the centre channel and the 700f. That finish would have been my choice but no one in my area has any old stock of the 800’s left. Only the black or white gloss.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I’m told they discontinued the espresso grain finish for some reason and only have old stock left in the centre channel and the 700f. That finish would have been my choice but no one in my area has any old stock of the 800’s left. Only the black or white gloss.
Figured as much. Good choice of speaker though. ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Unless you are really going to lose all interest in watching movies because of a little reflection off your Speakers, I wouldn't worry too much.
Of course, I say that as a person that likes some amount of ambient light in my room when watching anything... Oh, and I don't spend nearly as much time in HT as I do Music enjoyment...
But other than that... :p

Are you the kind of person that keeps your Grilles on? That will reduce reflective surface area on the front. For the sides, you could make a "sock" with Speaker Grille Cloth that you could just pull over the Speaker if necessary (and that way avoid doing anything to the speakers themselves).

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
Gene and James reviews actually sealed the deal for me.

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
Yea I usually leave the grilles on. I like the sock idea though. I’m hoping because they have that taper to them and I will have them turned a bit towards the listening area, the reflection may not be an issue. If it is a sock type deal may be the way to go. Thanks.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Yea, I was thinking I could cover the sides closest to the screen with a temporary vinyl covering or something if absolutely necessary.
Or use a nice textured paint?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had piano black speakers for many years. Other than keeping them clean, I never noticed much issue with reflections off of them. That will depend on placement and seating position though.

Last edited:
J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
I've had piano black speakers for many years. Other than keeping them clean, I never noticed much issue with reflections off of them. That will depend on placement and seating position though.
I’m hoping I’ll have the same luck once I position them but we’ll see. I guess keeping them clean is a whole other ballgame…..

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I have piano black gloss and don't notice it at all with my projector setup.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
Awesome, thanks. It’s sounding more and more that it will likely be a non issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis