Getting Angrier By the Second

a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
I have spent a week trying to get my new tv and receiver (thanks for the help Buckle-meister) to work properly. Well it seems as though we pretty much had it set-up correctly from the start. I have a Yamaha RX-V2600 and am trying to hook up HDMI in conjunction with a cable box. Well, I can't. Why? Because my cable company (Cox) won't get off their butt and send the patch that would make it work. It seems that the cable box is not in compliance with HDMI 1.1. I have called the cable company several times and since not enough people have complained (I'm supposedly the first) about getting the update they won't do anything about it. They know it is available yet won't do anything. How hard could it be? Don't they just upload the software through the cable to everyone's box? I would think that by upgrading to HDMI 1.1, all components with just HDMI 1.0 wouldn't be affected in the least. Am I right here? I specifically bought this receiver for the video upscaling functions, but now I can't even use them with the cable box.

I know this issue has been brought up before, but I just needed to vent. I finally go out and upgrade my system, and I can't even use all of the functions. BTW, the cable rep told me that it is not in their plans right now for the upgrade. AAARRRRRGGHH!!!!!!!!

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
a/v moron said:
I have spent a week trying to get my new tv and receiver (thanks for the help Buckle-meister) to work properly. Well it seems as though we pretty much had it set-up correctly from the start. I have a Yamaha RX-V2600 and am trying to hook up HDMI in conjunction with a cable box. Well, I can't. Why? Because my cable company (Cox) won't get off their butt and send the patch that would make it work. It seems that the cable box is not in compliance with HDMI 1.1. I have called the cable company several times and since not enough people have complained (I'm supposedly the first) about getting the update they won't do anything about it. They know it is available yet won't do anything. How hard could it be? Don't they just upload the software through the cable to everyone's box? I would think that by upgrading to HDMI 1.1, all components with just HDMI 1.0 wouldn't be affected in the least. Am I right here? I specifically bought this receiver for the video upscaling functions, but now I can't even use them with the cable box.

I know this issue has been brought up before, but I just needed to vent. I finally go out and upgrade my system, and I can't even use all of the functions. BTW, the cable rep told me that it is not in their plans right now for the upgrade. AAARRRRRGGHH!!!!!!!!

Well, your first problem is taking advice from Buckle-Meister (just kidding Robbie ;) ).

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of being ahead of the curve. When you are an early adopter or are trying to do things most people don't even know about, you run into these problems frequently.

This is what I'd do. Bluff. Call the cable company and tell them you're sick of their horrible service and that you're swithing to satellite. In my experience, the cable companies start paying attention to you when you say this. Give them a time frame to get the problem fixed or you are done with them. It can't hurt, and you may actually see them spring into action.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
a/v moron said:
I specifically bought this receiver for the video upscaling functions, but now I can't even use them with the cable box.
It's may not be ideal that you can't take HDMI from your cable-box to the receiver, but by taking component from the cable-box to the receiver you should still be able to upscale the video image. Are you finding this not to be the case?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis