German In-Akustik speaker cables?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They charge $3/ft but I actually get what I need almost for free because someone I know imports it on spools.
The speaker impedance is between 2 to 4 ohms and has som ugly capacitive phase angles. By splitting each speaker on two amps they become an easier load for the receiver.
I suppose $3/ft isn't horrible, but 10x what I pay for good 12g, and I'd just double that up if worried. Almost free otoh works well :) What receiver do you have where the passive bi-amping is a significant difference?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
View attachment 36323

That's the impedance chart from Stereophile's review of your speakers. I gotta say, based on their findings I'm not so sure I would agree with you. They appear to be inaccurate and extremely- unreasonably hard to drive. I would very much like to listen to them and hear for myself, but my first impressions based on specs isn't very good...

The Triangle was one of the more sensitive speakers I have encountered, its B-weighted sensitivity clocking in at an estimated 93dB(B)/2.83V/m, which is well above average. It might be thought that this would make it suitable for use with low-powered or single-ended amplifiers. However, the speaker's impedance plot (fig.2) reveals it to be a horrible load for the partnering amplifier. The impedance magnitude remains between 2 and 4 ohms over almost the entire audioband, and there is an amplifier-punishing combination of 3.7 ohms and a 44 capacitive phase angle at 78Hz. An amplifier capable of hefty current delivery is going to be a must with this loudspeaker.

Even his subjective comments felt to me like he was reaching for positive things to say.

View attachment 36325View attachment 36324
I guessed it right. That is a totally incompetent design. This appalling state of affairs is very bad for the industry in general. There is no excuse what so ever to market a chamber of horrors like that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I posted Stereophile's review and measurements above. I'm still learning to properly interpret impedance graphs, but even to me it looks alarming.
Yes, thanks for that, I have just posted a comment. I just can't imagine someone actually marketing something like that. If I had designed that it would have had a decent burial, and certainly never seen the public light of day.

That design will stress the best of amps. Quite honestly it is highly likely to shorten the life of any amp.

I think you have seen enough of my designs to know I do not specialize in Frankenstein creations like that. As well as being an amp buster the F3 as measured by Stereophile is in the neighborhood of 60 Hz. That is bookshelf territory, making the whole escapade not only hazardous to amps, but pointless.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Their measurements look awful, but they make up for that by being really expensive.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis