Generated 10 DB Matched Sine Waves Corresponding To The 10 Band EQ On My HU. Will This Work For A Basic EQ Job?

D

DaboTheCat

Audiophyte
PROCESS:
  1. Use Adobe Audition To Generate 10 DB Matched Sine Waves Corresponding To The 10 EQ Frequencies On My Headunit
  2. Measure the DB Volumes Of The 10 Different Waves Playing From Lossless Files In Car With SPL Meter App On iPhone 11
  3. Add Up The 10 Values And Divide By 10 To Get An Average
  4. Play Each Wave Again, This Time Adjusting The Headunit EQ Until The DB Reaches The Average
Will this ghetto but resourceful method increase the accuracy of my car system? What are your thoughts?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
PROCESS:
  1. Use Adobe Audition To Generate 10 DB Matched Sine Waves Corresponding To The 10 EQ Frequencies On My Headunit
  2. Measure the DB Volumes Of The 10 Different Waves Playing From Lossless Files In Car With SPL Meter App On iPhone 11
  3. Add Up The 10 Values And Divide By 10 To Get An Average
  4. Play Each Wave Again, This Time Adjusting The Headunit EQ Until The DB Reaches The Average
Will this ghetto but resourceful method increase the accuracy of my car system? What are your thoughts?
That works for those frequencies, but if you use pink noise, you'll see a more accurate representation because the various frequencies interact in three dimensions of space.

If you have a second smart phone, you can use one to produce the pink noise and another to measure the response. The app store has apps for both.

D

DaboTheCat

Audiophyte
That works for those frequencies, but if you use pink noise, you'll see a more accurate representation because the various frequencies interact in three dimensions of space.

If you have a second smart phone, you can use one to produce the pink noise and another to measure the response. The app store has apps for both.
Thank you for your response!!

I do have a second smart phone! What app do you recommend and what pink noise types should I run? Ones that match the 10 bands on my EQ? Sorry I'm a noob :x

I downloaded a pink noise generator but I'm not sure what I should set the high cut and low cut to for the measurements... :[

Edit: Should I just set the lowcut to the lowest EQ band and then high cut to the next EQ band and move my way up towards the end of the EQ like that? Or perhaps it'd be better to set to lowcut to the lowest EQ frequency, skip a band, and then set the highcut to the next band. Then adjust the middle skipped band?

10 Band EQ:
32/63/125/250/500/1000/2000/4000/8000/16000

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for your response!!

I do have a second smart phone! What app do you recommend and what pink noise types should I run? Ones that match the 10 bands on my EQ? Sorry I'm a noob :x

I downloaded a pink noise generator but I'm not sure what I should set the high cut and low cut to for the measurements... :[

Edit: Should I just set the lowcut to the lowest EQ band and then high cut to the next EQ band and move my way up towards the end of the EQ like that? Or perhaps it'd be better to set to lowcut to the lowest EQ frequency, skip a band, and then set the highcut to the next band. Then adjust the middle skipped band?

10 Band EQ:
32/63/125/250/500/1000/2000/4000/8000/16000
Pink noise is broad band, 1/3 octave spacing- don't worry about the bands you have but remember- cutting the high areas is better than boosting the low output areas. It will take a bit of time to get it where you want, but also, it doesn't need to be ruler-flat, either- make it smooth.

I was using the Dynaudio app, but I think they either stopped developing it or my phone is too old. I also have a tone generator app (pick one that's free) and it has pink noise as well as variable frequency.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis