T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I could swear I had a thread about this on here but can't find it.

Anyway, when my definitive technology Pro Sub 800 died in my living room, I took the opportunity to completely replace the system in that room. Once I did, I moved the 6 Pro Monitor 800 speakers and Pro Center 1000 center speaker out to my garage. As you may have seen, the AVR that moved out there with this system, a 6 yr old Onkyo, also just died and I've replaced it with a Denon 3600 that is in route. So, that brings me back to what started this whole rabbit hole a month or two ago. The dead DefTech Subwoofer.

The DefTech sub is an 8" model. It's very compact and surprisingly I don't have a ton of free space for a huge sub given the usage of the garage. However, the system out there will be used for music and work out video's primarily since the room is setup as a gym. Rather than spending the $160 that it will take to fix the DefTech sub, I've been looking at replacement options. Right now, I'm zeroed in on the RSL Speedwoofer 10S and the Monolith 10 from Monoprice.

Any thoughts on the above two, or any others worth looking at in the same price ranges? Not looking to pressurize the garage for reference level movies but rather to add some lower end punchiness to music that the little defTech monitors don't have.

As an FYI, I did try the 12" Klipsch from Costco and didn't really like it. Found it muddy and boomy sounding for some reason. May work better in other rooms or setups though.

Thanks.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I could swear I had a thread about this on here but can't find it.

Anyway, when my definitive technology Pro Sub 800 died in my living room, I took the opportunity to completely replace the system in that room. Once I did, I moved the 6 Pro Monitor 800 speakers and Pro Center 1000 center speaker out to my garage. As you may have seen, the AVR that moved out there with this system, a 6 yr old Onkyo, also just died and I've replaced it with a Denon 3600 that is in route. So, that brings me back to what started this whole rabbit hole a month or two ago. The dead DefTech Subwoofer.

The DefTech sub is an 8" model. It's very compact and surprisingly I don't have a ton of free space for a huge sub given the usage of the garage. However, the system out there will be used for music and work out video's primarily since the room is setup as a gym. Rather than spending the $160 that it will take to fix the DefTech sub, I've been looking at replacement options. Right now, I'm zeroed in on the RSL Speedwoofer 10S and the Monolith 10 from Monoprice.

Any thoughts on the above two, or any others worth looking at in the same price ranges? Not looking to pressurize the garage for reference level movies but rather to add some lower end punchiness to music that the little defTech monitors don't have.

Thanks.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
specifically:

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
The Dayton's are out of stock. But I can get a Speedwoofer from their outlet shop (this morning), the monolith 10" was available as new or open box (this morning), or an SVS PB-1000 in stock.

Any options beyond just the Daytons that I could find in stock? Or feedback/opinions/comparatives on the ones I've mentioned above? Thanks.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The Dayton subs from Parts Express will be back in stock there is a date that tells you when. 11/20/2020

And this one is in stock now

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
The Dayton subs from Parts Express will be back in stock there is a date that tells you when. 11/20/2020

And this one is in stock now

Always to the extremes with you. LOL

I say I'm looking at 10" subs.................. surprised you are recommending the TV42ipals. LOL :)

But seriously I do have some space considerations as I'm trying to get it to tuck under a workbench.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A garage is not a good place to put consumer electronics unless they are outdoor grade electronics. The humidity in garages is far less controlled than in modern homes, and that will kill consumer electronics quickly.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
specifically:
The 1200 has been going in and out of stock every 6 weeks or so, I have been watching it for a while. I just got mine last week!

But, he did mention space constraints, so a 10" or the low profile 10" could make sense for him too.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A garage is not a good place to put consumer electronics unless they are outdoor grade electronics. The humidity in garages is far less controlled than in modern homes, and that will kill consumer electronics quickly.
Debbie Downer over here!

Yeah, of course you are correct. But, I have plenty of electronics and my garage needs some musical lovin' too! I just tend to take my older and/or lower end gear for garage duty. That is better than sitting on a shelf in the closet, right???

I suspect that my Mackie CR3 got an early demise, but they got a good 4 years of use in my garage. No big deal, just move to the next gear that has been collecting dust.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Okay, let's set the stage and dispel the rumors. My garage is not typical in that it is attached, insulated, dehumidified and cooled/heated - full time, 24/7, 365, year round. :)

Here are a few shots of what I'm working with. I'm trying to leave floor space open so the sub would be going under the workbench at front of room. You can see the small defTech sitting under there now. For size reference, that is a 40" Sony TV up there and the bar above the DefTech running across the back legs of the bench is roughly 16.75" off the floor.

garage1.jpg

From a placement standpoint, behind the checkerboard up top is a storage loft that has around 18" to 24" of clearance above it. Don't remember exact measurements but its enough to store those large rubbermade storage bins up there. The holiday decor and stuff basically. I could stick a sub up there but not sure how it may or may not sound.

garage2.jpg

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Debbie Downer over here!

Yeah, of course you are correct. But, I have plenty of electronics and my garage needs some musical lovin' too! I just tend to take my older and/or lower end gear for garage duty. That is better than sitting on a shelf in the closet, right???

I suspect that my Mackie CR3 got an early demise, but they got a good 4 years of use in my garage. No big deal, just move to the next gear that has been collecting dust.
Luckily my garage is insulated as well as the door. So even with the sub 40 degree weather at night, it still stays warm.

Having said that, electronics don't end up in the garage unless I don't care if they die. Not looking for high-fi in my garage. I've got three other zones for that :)

Now, annoying my neighbors? That's what I'm talking about.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Okay, let's set the stage and dispel the rumors. My garage is not typical in that it is attached, insulated, dehumidified and cooled/heated - full time, 24/7, 365, year round. :)

Here are a few shots of what I'm working with. I'm trying to leave floor space open so the sub would be going under the workbench at front of room. You can see the small defTech sitting under there now. For size reference, that is a 40" Sony TV up there and the bar above the DefTech running across the back legs of the bench is roughly 16.75" off the floor.

View attachment 41104

The limited amount of moisture in the room doesn't last long and only comes from wicking or seepage due to rain under the large roll up door. You can see its raining now. From a placement standpoint, behind the checkerboard up top is a storage loft that has around 18" to 24" of clearance above it. Don't remember exact measurements but its enough to store those large rubbermade storage bins up there. The holiday decor and stuff basically. I could stick a sub up there but not sure how it may or may not sound.
View attachment 41105
View attachment 41106
So, it's a garage in the sense it has a large door that goes onto the ceiling when opened.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
So, it's a garage in the sense it has a large door that goes onto the ceiling when opened.
Yeah, basically. I mean, it has a gas powered golf cart in there. That makes it still qualify, right?

Before this, and up until early summer, there was a fully functional wood shop in there with Felder sliding saw, jointer/planer, oneida cyclone, overhead dust collection tubing, a CNC machine, etc. Decided to get out of that hobby and when I did we turned the space into the gym space.

This of one of my last projects before selling.
shop1.jpg

And here is a shot showing the way the garage looked just back in June of this year. Had been into woodworking for nearly a decade but just lost interest. Got into golf, audio and other things. :)
IMG_8673.jpg

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Probably not what others would have chosen since it's only a 10" sub for a large room, but I've decided to give the little RSL Speedwoofer 10S with it's wireless transmitter a try. Ordered one of the outlet models which saved a few bucks. Still has full warranty and 30 day trial.

The reason I went with this model is the smaller size and wireless will give it more placement flexibility, and since it will be used for music more than anything the frequency range should be fine. It gets good recommendations as a sub for music. The other feature that I thought was nice is that you can add a second sub that piggy backs off the single transmitter (receiver is built into the subs). So I could expand with a second one if I decided to add one on each side of room or something. Also was thinking the slightly smaller box might be able to be hung underneath my loft for additional flexibility if the floor spots don't pan out.

Anyway, if it doesn't do it for us, I can always return it and try something else.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I have a woodworking shop in my garage just like you have except the tools, the lathe, drill presses, the benches all that stuff is probably from the 70s 80s things like that my father-in-law was a Furniture maker Cabinet maker Wood worker or whatever you want to call him was a Artist , a Artisan. When he passed away I have a whole garage full of stuff you can build anything. But he didn't have the elaborate system you had with the sawdust vacuum system he just swept it off the floor.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis