T

Tim Brayton

Enthusiast
Hi
I’m looking for advice for a good stereo, currently have a pair of bowers& & Wilkins AM-1 speakers and a denon unit, I’m not happy with the way it sounds. Would like to incorporate a sub, not against paying the extra money to get the power and quality . I will use it for listening to music. I don’t have a preference on a brand, don’t need a lot of extras for watching movies.
Thanks

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How big is the space? How loud do you listen and how far away are you seated/working? Are you only looking for stereo? What is the issue with your current speakers that has you looking for something better? Do the new speakers need to be weatherproof as well?

What's your budget? Saying that you're

not against paying the extra money to get the power and quality .
will mean vastly different things to different people.

T

Tim Brayton

Enthusiast
My garage is 24x30, sometimes I like to turn it up, I’m very seldom sitting in on place, I just purchased the speakers, I think they sounded a lot better in the store.no, they don’t need to be water proofed, I was thinking, $2000.00ish for the receiver, not to say if it took a little more to do it right would be ok. Then , if need be, maybe I’ll have to look to upgrade the speakers.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If you're not happy with the sound, you should look at different speakers. Replacing the receiver is not going to significantly impact your sound. What is it about your current speakers you aren't happy with? How/where are they mounted? Keep in mind that moving around in the space will change your distance from the speakers and affect how things sound.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
just not simply buy a pair of these:
and then use this to control the sound:

Return the speakers and Denon (*depends if your Denon receiver has analog pre-outs for more than just a sub, you may continue using it)

T

Tim Brayton

Enthusiast
If you're not happy with the sound, you should look at different speakers. Replacing the receiver is not going to significantly impact your sound. What is it about your current speakers you aren't happy with? How/where are they mounted? Keep in mind that moving around in the space will change your distance from the speakers and affect how things sound.

T

Tim Brayton

Enthusiast
I did hear this set of speakers in the store where I purchased them and they sounded really good, I figured they’re using some big dollar equipment to run them. I want more bass and my denon avr-s540bt doesn’t offer a port for a sub.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I did hear this set of speakers in the store where I purchased them and they sounded really good, I figured they’re using some big dollar equipment to run them. I want more bass and my denon avr-s540bt doesn’t offer a port for a sub.
You're not going to get chest thumping bass in a space that big from two 5 in woofers. If you're happy with them otherwise, a sub may be all you need. If there are other issues and you're still in the return window I'd recommend returning them. Your Denon has 2 subwoofer pre-outs on the back panel, so you don't need a new receiver either. I'd recommend picking up a HSU sub, one or even two of their ported 15" models. Keep in mind that bass response is going to vary throughout the space as you move around, though. This can be alleviated somewhat with two subs, but if you're moving throughout the entire space there will be places where you have cancellations and reinforcements.

https://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I'd definitely try subwoofage first but larger speakers may be in order as well, only so much you can do with small speakers like that in a large space. Curious, why the outdoor speakers in a garage? You have extreme weather in your garage?

T

Tim Brayton

Enthusiast
Thanks for your advice, I’ll try it
Yes I'd definitely try subwoofage first but larger speakers may be in order as well, only so much you can do with small speakers like that in a large space. Curious, why the outdoor speakers in a garage? You have extreme weather in your garage?
morning, thanks for your feed back, do you recommend any particular speaker, I could put a speaker in all four corners, what terminals should I use to hook up the speakers? The choices are, front left and right, center, and surround left and right.
And for outdoor speakers, that’s what he recommended because it wasn’t going to be in a controlled environment

T

Tim Brayton

Enthusiast
morning, thanks for your feed back, do you recommend any particular speaker, I could put a speaker in all four corners, what terminals should I use to hook up the speakers? The choices are, front left and right, center, and surround left and right.
And for outdoor speakers, that’s what he recommended because it wasn’t going to be in a controlled environment

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@Tim Brayton, I am curious as to why my prior suggestion of Kali monitors was ignored?
They aren't great looking but would provide you plenty of both volume and sound quality. (@shadyJ Reviewed them and found great value) Balanced cables could be run quite far if needed. As I could see only thing missing in that setup you'd miss is the remote control.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If they're not mounted in a corner, move them. I have a pair of 8" two-way speakers with sealed enclosures that are powered by an old stereo receiver from 1978- while I don't sit there and think "The separation is wonderful/terrible", it sounds pretty good. For a garage system. Best one in the neighborhood. That I can hear from the front yard that's close to 100' away.

Spending two grand on a receiver isn't going to get you where you want to be- that's up to the speakers. Outdoor speakers are made to provide sound. Not great sound, sound. If you want a lot of sound (SPL and/or frequency range),

This line from the Amazon ad is part of the problem- "Combine this with minimal wall projection..."- if you wanted great bass, you should have bought a system that comes with a sub or produces more low end. One way to produce more low end is by reflecting from the walls- since bass isn't very directional, using the wall(s) nearby is an old trick to make them sound better/bigger. Using one wall helps a bit, using a corner where two walls meet is better and if you can place them where two walls meet the ceiling, you add even more- that's how I'm getting the low end in my garage and it's not finished, just has insulated rafter spaces. It does have a lot of things on the walls that disperse the sound because, after all, it's a garage and I have woodworking tools and machinery.

Don't be afraid to use the tone controls or equalization but do it right- make sure that you don't boost signal the speakers can't handle.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Look at Ascend CMT-340 speakers

T

Tim Brayton

Enthusiast
@Tim Brayton, I am curious as to why my prior suggestion of Kali monitors was ignored?
They aren't great looking but would provide you plenty of both volume and sound quality. (@shadyJ Reviewed them and found great value) Balanced cables could be run quite far if needed. As I could see only thing missing in that setup you'd miss is the remote control.

T

Tim Brayton

Enthusiast
Look at Ascend CMT-340 speakers
Would it pay/help, to one In each corner, and still incorporate a sub?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Would it pay/help, to one In each corner, and still incorporate a sub?
Depends on how much bass you want -- you for sure will get more bass over them B&W speakers ... hook them up and then go from there ... HSU should have some subs back in stock soon

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How extreme are temps/humidity in your garage? An indoor/outdoor speaker I suppose could be in order depending. In my garage turned into workshop I just use regular speakers, but temps might go down into the 30s(F) at lowest....and 90s at highest. Out on the deck I use indoor/outdoor speakers.

Speaker recommendations for a garage setup I'd first recommend looking on the used market. Kinda depends on size needed and where you can fit/place/mount them. So more details needed. In my workshop/garage I have a 7.3 system, comprised mostly of stuff not used in the house any longer :) I'd not buy B&W pretty much at any price point, tho, don't find they're particularly good value for what you get.

Right now with just two speakers hook up to Front Left & Right.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis