Garage Conversion Home Theater

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
bigdaddy1955,

That is one hell of a transformation, very well thought out and executed, congrats! I have been entertaining the idea of doing exactly the same thing for a few months now, your post has inspired me to push forward and get'er done. If I may ask, What was the final cost for the construction side of your HT.

Thank you for this useful thread and the pictures!

hyghwayman!

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Ditto.

Nice work!
Except now that I see the photos after construction, he oriented the room on the long wall when acoustically, the display should have been on the short wall.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Do you get any rattles from the bass with the garage door?

B

bigdady1955

Enthusiast
Sorry so late, but I haven't been here for awhile and just found your question. No, there are absolutely no rattles from the garage door. Or if there is, it's inaudible as the theater is very well soundproofed.

Rick

B

bigdady1955

Enthusiast
Except now that I see the photos after construction, he oriented the room on the long wall when acoustically, the display should have been on the short wall.
No Westcott, the screen is on the 17 foot wall. The other wall (the ones with the door), is 22 feet, so we're fine.

Rick

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Sorry so late, but I haven't been here for awhile and just found your question. No, there are absolutely no rattles from the garage door. Or if there is, it's inaudible as the theater is very well soundproofed.

Rick
We got ours completed too... I went and checked it when we were at reference levels with a lot of bass, and we also heard no rattles at all. Our noise levels outside the garage door were around 43db. I am glad we did a double wall construction in the garage remodel.

B

bigdady1955

Enthusiast
We got ours completed too... I went and checked it when we were at reference levels with a lot of bass, and we also heard no rattles at all. Our noise levels outside the garage door were around 43db. I am glad we did a double wall construction in the garage remodel.
I'd love to see the pics. Let me know if you post them.

Rick

B

bigdady1955

Enthusiast
My Latest Upgrades

Early this year I finally upgraded some of my equipment. I swapped out my Integra Pre/Pro for a Marantz AV7701, replaced my Samsung Blu-ray player or the Oppo BDP 103, upgraded my projector to the JVC DLA RS66 equipped with a Panamorph DC1 anamorphic lens and changed my screen to a 123" 140:1 Studiotek 130 G3. I've attached a link to my photobucket where I have more pictures of the original build and some new shots.

Rick Aubinot's (bdg55_bucket) Library | Photobucket

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Looks great! How do you like the Marantz? I am thinking if I ever upgrade my AVR, I am going to go with a AVP too.

B

bigdady1955

Enthusiast
Frankly, at this price point you're not going to hear that much of a difference, if any. As I don't listen to music -only movies- it doesn't make much of a difference to me. If my Integra hadn't gone, I probably would have kept it. Thanks for the feedback.

Rick

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Frankly, at this price point you're not going to hear that much of a difference, if any. As I don't listen to music -only movies- it doesn't make much of a difference to me. If my Integra hadn't gone, I probably would have kept it. Thanks for the feedback.

Rick
The reason I would go to a AVP is so I can run individual 30wpc "T" chip amps for all the channels (except the sub). We will be testing out the "T" chip amp in the next few weeks when we convert to bi-amping the front 3 channels using MiniDSPs for crossovers. Currently we are using some old Klipsch La Scala crossovers, and the 4520 Audyssey for calibration. I am expecting it to sound even better after we are done.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis