Garage Conversion Home Theater

B

bigdady1955

Enthusiast
Hey everybody. These are some pictures of my garage home theater conversion. Since the early 90's I had dreamt of building a home theater. My dream was finally realized in 2009. We converted our 22 x 22 foot garage into a theater. The final dimensions are 22 x 17. A wall, five feet in from the garage door, was built the length of the room allowing me to have some storage. Originally, the plan was to seal off the garage door and have access to the storage space through a door in the theater. Not ideal, but there was no other option. Fortunately, my contractor came up with a great idea. He shortened the tracks to a point just inside the storage area and attached them to beams inside the room. I can only get the garage door up half-way but at least now I also have access from the outside. These are the pics of the process which began February 30th, 2009 and completed April 2nd, 2009.

Preparing the garage.

11.jpg

Another pic of the garage. Notice the tracks I spoke about. If they were left as is, they would have protruded 6 feet into the theater

12.jpg

The riser

13.jpg
14.jpg

The storage area framed out. Notice the shortened tracks.

15.jpg

B

bigdady1955

Enthusiast
The insulation is just about complete. Ready for sheetrock

View attachment 9890

Pillars and acoustic panels in place . Attaching the last ceiling panel

View attachment 9898

Rear of theater

View attachment 9899

Rope lighting in place

View attachment 9900

Chairs assembled and in place

View attachment 9902

These are a few pictures of the finished theater

35.jpg

36.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

Equipment list

Klipsch RF-83 fronts
Klipsch RC-64 center
Klipsch RB-81 rears
2 Velodyne DD-15 Subwoofers
Anthem Statement P5 power amp
Integra DHC-9.9 pre/pro
Pioneer BDP-95D blue-ray player (for my intro DVD)
Samsung BD-P2500 blue-ray player
Panamax M5300-PM surge protector
Verizon FIOS HD DVR
Anthem LTX 500 LCOS projector (JVC DLA-RS20 repackaged and sold by Anthem)
110" Stewart Firehawk screen
Universal MX-980 remote
Active Thermal Management Cool-Stack ll cooling system
SVS AS-EQ1 subwoofer EQ (On order won't ship until August)

Well that's about it. Thanx for viewing

I know I really messed this post up. If you can't see the pictures they can be found here: http://s812.photobucket.com/profile/bigdady1955_2009

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
You made a very wise choice whether you know it or not. You said your garage used to be 22x22 but is now 17x22 due to the new wall for storage. Having a room that is equal in length & width is THE WORST for acoustics. The cancellations would have been horrible!!! So by physically changing the dimensions you saved yourself some MAJOR headaches.

As far as the actual room, you have done an excellent job in both design & workmanship!! Kudos to you on the new theater!!! Very well done with the absorbtion panels, speaker placement & overall "Classic Cinema" feel. I really like the idea of dual 15" subs :) Im running a 12" & 15" but im splitting the bass between them (90-50hz & 50-15hz)

Id give you a solid 8/10 for an overall rating. Im pretty conservative on my high ratings only because i know what the possabilities are out there. So an 8 is very very good in my book!! (for lack of a better description)

WELL DONE!!! ENJOY!!!!

B

bigdady1955

Enthusiast
agarwalro, Lulimet, timoteo-- Thanx for the kind words. Yes timoteo, I was made aware of the problem with standing waves by my project manager, so as you said one solved the other. Thanx again

W

westcott

Audioholic General
You made a very wise choice whether you know it or not. You said your garage used to be 22x22 but is now 17x22 due to the new wall for storage. Having a room that is equal in length & width is THE WORST for acoustics. The cancellations would have been horrible!!! So by physically changing the dimensions you saved yourself some MAJOR headaches.

As far as the actual room, you have done an excellent job in both design & workmanship!! Kudos to you on the new theater!!! Very well done with the absorbtion panels, speaker placement & overall "Classic Cinema" feel. I really like the idea of dual 15" subs :) Im running a 12" & 15" but im splitting the bass between them (90-50hz & 50-15hz)

Id give you a solid 8/10 for an overall rating. Im pretty conservative on my high ratings only because i know what the possabilities are out there. So an 8 is very very good in my book!! (for lack of a better description)

WELL DONE!!! ENJOY!!!!
Ditto.

Nice work!

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Wow, Great work you did. Congrats on a beautiful Home Theater. Enjoy

T

TulsaSKD

Junior Audioholic
Man that is a great setup and being a garage before made it cool to see the steps you took. Good job A+

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
All I can say is it is Awesome!! I hope to some day be able to build a theater out of my 2 car garage too.

B

bigdady1955

Enthusiast
Thank you Ellisr for your kind words. When you do make the conversion you won't regret it. It comes down to what do you want in the garage -- a car or a theater. For me it was an easy choice-- the car is just fine outside!

Thanx Again
BDG

X

XTZ

Audiophyte
Nice build! Who needs a garage when you can have a HT?

//XTZ

jnelson88

jnelson88

Audioholic
Great looking setup. You can always build another garage. What do you think of the Klipsch Speakers?

B

bigdady1955

Enthusiast
Great looking setup. You can always build another garage. What do you think of the Klipsch Speakers?
jnelson88 Thanx for the comment. I use them only for movies, and they're fantastic. I wouldn't use anything but a horn loaded speaker. They're up front and have a definite impact. For music though....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis