Gaming setup for my 18yr nephew, tell me what you think

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
He has a PS4. small room.

Giving him my year old TCL 55P605 since ill be upgrading. its great for gaming i read.

i figure for avr i can get the denon 510 or 530 cheap from accessories4less. i dont think he will need audyssey since this is only for gaming.

i want him to have good quality sound so im not going for one of those cheap 5.1 monoprice less than $100 systems.
Frys Electronics currently has the jbl 230s for $300 shipped, and jbl 235 center for $200 shipped. (no tax)

For surrounds im thinking those cheap dayton b562s for $30

now as for subwoofer, thats where im stuck.

would the emotiva basx8 be enough for gaming? i dont know how low games go these days but basx8 goes down to 28. he likes war type games of course, call of duty, battlefield etc.

so i need recommendations for the subwoofer and any changes for speakers or avr are welcome.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Is this for a college dorm room in the fall? He may not even have room for all that. Why not just a pair a REALLY good gaming headphones with mic?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
He has a PS4. small room.

Giving him my year old TCL 55P605 since ill be upgrading. its great for gaming i read.

i figure for avr i can get the denon 510 or 530 cheap from accessories4less. i dont think he will need audyssey since this is only for gaming.

i want him to have good quality sound so im not going for one of those cheap 5.1 monoprice less than $100 systems.
Frys Electronics currently has the jbl 230s for $300 shipped, and jbl 235 center for $200 shipped. (no tax)

For surrounds im thinking those cheap dayton b562s for $30

now as for subwoofer, thats where im stuck.

would the emotiva basx8 be enough for gaming? i dont know how low games go these days but basx8 goes down to 28. he likes war type games of course, call of duty, battlefield etc.

so i need recommendations for the subwoofer and any changes for speakers or avr are welcome.
I doubt the BasX8 will dig down to 28 Hz with any seriousness. Probably not much in your price range will, to be honest. so I wouldn't worry about frequencies below 30 Hz. If it were me, I would be looking at one of the Dayton Audio SUB series.

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Energy classic 5 pack got me thru college and beyond. I didn’t know they were actually respectable speakers (for their size) when I got them. They are WAY easier to take with you moving several times than full size book shelves. My sub thru those years was a Polk but you can surely do better than that.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
That's a whole lot of stuff to pack into a dorm room so I assume that he's renting an apartment or moving into your basement - Yes - no? The BasX 8 would be great in a really small dorm room but not in a large enough room to need a 55" TV.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
hes living at home and commuting.

has his own bedroom.

im willing to spend maybe $400 on a subwoofer. i thought about the hsu vtf2 mk5 but yeah thats overkill.

thinking this system will last him through college.

i could get him a good pair headphones but not sure if the 5.1 audio experience would be the same.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
hes living at home and commuting.

has his own bedroom.

im willing to spend maybe $400 on a subwoofer. i thought about the hsu vtf2 mk5 but yeah thats overkill.

thinking this system will last him through college.
The JBL speakers are a real good choice -- and a lot of people are happy with that Emotiva sub as it is not a wimp.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis