Furniture TV AV console

T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I need a new TV/AV stand but I want one with a large enough top shelf for a large center speaker and the top needs to be at least 18” deep and 42” wide. Seems like all the decent stuff is priced really high in the $3,000 price range and everything else is made completely wrong

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Depends on what you mean by "decent stuff" but $3,000 is very expensive for a TV/AV stand for most people, as well as requirements like what weight each level can bear, the number of shelves as well as height between the shelves along with total height.

As an example: What is available depends on the local market, of course, but I (living in EU) bought from an AV rack from the French company NorStone for about $400 a few years ago. The top plate can bear 50 kg while the other two can bear bear 30 kg, and have almost the dimensions you want with the depth an inch or so shorter. Lots of passive cooling all around. The mid pole can be shifted a few cm to accommodate installation of devices, something that I used.

This is black glass but your taste might differ.Works fine for my usage. :)

Here is a couple of pictures with the second one current. The first one was before I got a book shelf to replace a large center speaker along with some more acoustic panels.

Size and weight specs for the Canton Vento 858.2 Center: https://hifi-wiki.com/index.php/Canton_Vento_858.2_Center

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Amazingly, I ran into an old friend just a few minutes after my previous post. He does high-end custom woodwork and I gave him a budget. He’s thinking solid cherry or walnut with solid metal legs. Top will be 42w 20d and 24h with one shelf below 12” and protruding 1” just to get the front on the center channel out just a little. I’ll post back with updates but he said he’s about a month out.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Cool! If I today were to use wood for AV furniture I would have it supported by metal bars to avoid sagging over time. I’m sure your friend as a wood worker could add that very discreetly.

T

TankTop5

I’m hoping he can do a 3” slab with my budget, if so sagging shouldn’t be an issue

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I’m hoping he can do a 3” slab with my budget, if so sagging shouldn’t be an issue
Not sure about the English terms for this so bear with me: He could cut out some grooves in the underside of the wood to install metal bars. You won’t see that at all with proper installation of the bars to the legs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis