Funky Waves FW 12.X Subwoofer Review

K

Kyle_K

Audiophyte
Great review, I think you nailed the essence of that sub. Nathan's quality is top notch indeed. I would also like to add that since this is more or less a passive sub with some options for dsp and power, and then if a user did make a mistake and break the driver, then the top assembly could be swapped out without any glue or shipping motors around which makes this about as painless to fix as anything. I think that's worth mentioning since one of the cons was no protection for the driver.

Anyways, thanks for the reviews Paul, great job!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Great review, I think you nailed the essence of that sub. Nathan's quality is top notch indeed. I would also like to add that since this is more or less a passive sub with some options for dsp and power, and then if a user did make a mistake and break the driver, then the top assembly could be swapped out without any glue or shipping motors around which makes this about as painless to fix as anything. I think that's worth mentioning since one of the cons was no protection for the driver.

Anyways, thanks for the reviews Paul, great job!
Hush you.
You're making me reach for my wallet.
I am NOT shelling out for an LMS-15".
I'm just NOT!

M

mannoiaj

Junior Audioholic
Appears to be a nicely finished 12" subwoofer that performs about as well as one could ask for given it's 12" stature. I'd prefer a larger driver for a lower price with higher performance, buch to each his own.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Hush you.
You're making me reach for my wallet.
I am NOT shelling out for an LMS-15".
I'm just NOT!
Stop fighting it bro.... Just submit !!!!! :D

My project is finally all done and all I can say is thanks to Nathan for the most beautiful cabinet I have ever seen.... And thanks to TC-Sounds for making the best drivers I have ever heard or felt.... The 18" LMS is the cream of the crop, there is not a single driver out there that can match its output with the SQ it has period...... It just doesn't get any better for me...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
That is definitely one sexy piece of work. Much better looking than the sub in the review :D

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai

My project is finally all done and all I can say is thanks to Nathan for the most beautiful cabinet I have ever seen.... And thanks to TC-Sounds for making the best drivers I have ever heard or felt.... The 18" LMS is the cream of the crop, there is not a single driver out there that can match its output with the SQ it has period...... It just doesn't get any better for me...
I was over at Patricks house last night and was just blown away by this sub.....and that was with no EQing at all. The tonal qualities and the way it blends with the mains are truly unequaled by a long shot for any sub I have ever heard.

The cabinet from Funky waves is truly a work of art. Its the nicest cabinetry I have ever seen in a subwoofer by a very wide margin. It really is on another level and cannot be fully appreciated through pictures. As soon as you see it you can just tell that a huge amount of work went into the cabinet and painstaking care was taken to every little detail, you also know that someone built it who is just naturally talented in woodworking.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

Warpdrv...I noticed that FW has finally posted your sub on his webpage. Both those subs...I believe are finished in Paduak and sure the lighting gives yours a nice glow but the roundovers are what really make it standout!

Whatever the final cost, worth every penny...IMO.:)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I was over at Patricks house last night and was just blown away by this sub.....and that was with no EQing at all. The tonal qualities and the way it blends with the mains are truly unequaled by a long shot for any sub I have ever heard.

The cabinet from Funky waves is truly a work of art. Its the nicest cabinetry I have ever seen in a subwoofer by a very wide margin. It really is on another level and cannot be fully appreciated through pictures. As soon as you see it you can just tell that a huge amount of work went into the cabinet and painstaking care was taken to every little detail, you also know that someone built it who is just naturally talented in woodworking.
Aaron, gotta say thanks, I couldn't have gotten that driver in there without your help, hooking up the wires and balancing that 80lb driver would not have been possible alone.... It went really well, and was easier then I thought it would have been.... The Key with that heavy driver is to superglue the rubber mounting gasket on the bottom side of the basket, so you can use it to lower it down in the recess. If one was surface mounting this big driver - you don't have to worry about it being loose.

Appreciate your help buddy.... :D

Warpdrv...I noticed that FW has finally posted your sub on his webpage. Both those subs...I believe are finished in Paduak and sure the lighting gives yours a nice glow but the roundovers are what really make it standout!

Whatever the final cost, worth every penny...IMO.:)
Yes I saw it there - looks awesome, much better then without the roundovers...

The Box from Funky Waves was just under $1000.00 shipped to me with all my extra options... Shipping from way the HELL over there to WI only took 3 days with DHL, I couldn't believe it...

I am powering this with a Behringer EP2500 - which is about 1800w bridged in the 4ohms.... I am astounded with how much output it has with 1/2 of what I was intending to use... One really only needs a 4000w amp for these LMS's if they really want to squeeze that last 3db out of them or is heavy on EQ....

For those that are OK with working on a little EQ to dial things in proper - this is an extremely easy build with a little bit of effort and will knock the socks off something like a Paradigm SUB 25, (Sig Sub 25 $4500: Cherry, $4800 Piano Black or Maple) for 1/2 the price or less if your into the DIY, or just have Nathan build the whole thing and call it a day...

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Behringer EP2500 - which is about 1800w bridged in the 4ohms.... I am astounded with how much output it has with 1/2 of what I was intending to use... One really only needs a 4000w amp for these LMS's if they really want to squeeze that last 3db out of them or is heavy on EQ....
Walter just fainted ... :D

... he just likes stuff loud for those that don't know. :)

Just out of curiosity, what's your electric bill run you?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
... he just likes stuff loud for those that don't know. :)
Yes, he does... but 1800w for a 90 db sensitive driver...is purrrttty darn loud.

Basically add 6db to the results of the FW12.x and you get the performance of the 5400 (in the equivalent box of course. Warp uses sealed boxes OTOH). The 5400 also has lower inductance (2.8 mH vs 4.7 mH) than the LMS-R 12" so I would expect it to perform better with higher frequencies than the tested sub.

And no need for any of this "compressor" business as your driver still has usable excursion not being tapped into.

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
That is spot on GranteedEV ---- I have a copy of the Klippel Measurement of the older 18" LMS's and they have extremely good response all the way up to 500hz.... the extremely vibrant upper bass is one of the reasons I absolutely love these subs... A good performing set of satellite speakers and a pair of LMS's crossed way the hell up even to 200hz would be a monstrous setup.... I wish I could fit 2 of these in my bedroom but I have no room, and absolutely no need for anything more in the bass dept in that tiny area... I could probably get away with an even smaller amp, as I'm barely tapping the resources in this room... Although - I do like it loud, clean and clear is of the utmost importance for me...

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
FWIW I don't think high crossover points are a solution for active subs designed to reproduce subsonics. I would expect some level of intermodulation distortion given the right signal.

I would make 4.5-way crossed something like

DC-60hz subwoofer
60hz-250hz woofer
60hz-~400hz BSC woofer
250hz-4khz midrange
4khz-infinity tweeter

So I'm okay with a higher inductance driver. I'd sooner get mains designed to be crossed around 60hz.

I was just commenting on how even though it's larger in cone size, it's actually better suited to higher frequency performance.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
If I may ask, what properties of IMD will reveal themselves when One is crossing subs to mains as high as 160hz. I have experimented with this, and currently xo at 120hz - the sq is far and away better then xing lower, with reduced load and possible distortion on the mains.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
If I may ask, what properties of IMD will reveal themselves when One is crossing subs to mains as high as 160hz. I have experimented with this, and currently xo at 120hz - the sq is far and away better then xing lower, with reduced load and possible distortion on the mains.
It would depend entirely on the signal and output level. Probably just some theoretical scenario and not a real life one, but imagine a 20hz sine wave at 120db during an important 200hz note. Again, purely theoretical. but I'd presume some level of doppler effect.

Anyways, your scenario is a much function of your mains. I would get mains which revel in that 60hz-120hz range!

Last edited:
F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
My take on it was similar, save for the addition of: lowest value, and by far and away the absolute UGLIEST woodgrain finish of any sub in the shootout.

Thanks to Paul for a very thorough and professional review!
I guess you would'nt like these either then.

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
More finish options

As planned here are the samples of three colors we can stain the natural bamboo. Samples shown are flat grain natural, and are ~8" square
Colors are; Cherry, Chili Cherry, and Charcol black.

Attachments

C

cantonguy

Junior Audioholic
I guess you would'nt like these either then.
haha. I don't like the finish, but there is absolutely no denying that it is well done. The color of the finish is easy to change and does not correlate with the quality of the finish. As ugly as I think that is, you can tell it was done with love. :D Some of the best looking subs out there IMO. Has anyone ever seen something done in purple heart?

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
haha. I don't like the finish, but there is absolutely no denying that it is well done. The color of the finish is easy to change and does not correlate with the quality of the finish. As ugly as I think that is, you can tell it was done with love. :D Some of the best looking subs out there IMO. Has anyone ever seen something done in purple heart?
Our woodworker did something in Purple Heart you might like. His work is incredible and I consider him more of an artist than anything...

NOTE: Non-Speaker related. http://www.deonbrugmann.com/category/closets/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis