Funk audio at RMAF !

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I was surprised to see the loudspeaker lineup here.
Pleasantly. Mark and Nathan are both here, very cool
Cheers, Mac

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
They look impressive in person. Even more than the SVS room though, the speakers are really too close and I could not really give them a good listen. I really wanted to hear the subs, but when I stopped by they were playing 2.0 and I was too rushed to hang out until they switched.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
They look impressive in person. Even more than the SVS room though, the speakers are really too close and I could not really give them a good listen. I really wanted to hear the subs, but when I stopped by they were playing 2.0 and I was too rushed to hang out until they switched.
Yeah, it's their first show and it was apparent in the lack of source material and general smoothness of the presentation.
I'll wager marked improvement the next time around. Can't wait!
On the bright side, I won one those cool keychain/ bottle openers you got if the gumball machine spit out a red gumball. :D
The SVS were definitely too close (and loud) for my comfort. Sounded great though.
Cheers, Mac

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Yeah, it's their first show and it was apparent in the lack of source material and general smoothness of the presentation.
I'll wager marked improvement the next time around. Can't wait!
Thanks for the fair comment. We were a bit on the rusty side. I haven't been to a show since 1989. So yes rusty is the right word.

Regarding source materials. Oh we had source material. Just not what everyone wanted! Problem was that it is exceedingly difficult to cover the musical tastes of all that came into the room. I listen to classical and Baroque music. Had hundreds of CD's of that stuff. But everyone has a different twist on what they like. I had to say it was quite an adventure. All of the participants were kind and we had a blast. Most of the requests were for listening to the larger towers. ANd the subs literally played for ten minutes over the three days. The large towers simply did not need subs.

You should have come back. We were ready and waiting!

Any comments of what you guys heard?

Last edited by a moderator:

dew334

Audiophyte
What are the speakers? specs? prices? I'm guessing 8.2's, the standmount version, and some new type of flagship? were they fully active? which electronics were you using? which subs?

Why is none of this on your website? You're an ID direct company:eek: You went with the revamped site that does not appear updated since it's inception

Sorry to sound harsh, but you guys appear to make some pretty awesome stuff....showcase it!!!!!!!!! There's virtually nothing online regarding your room at rmaf while other small companies are garnering rave reviews.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Verbal smacking around acknowledged

What are the speakers? specs? prices? I'm guessing 8.2's, the standmount version, and some new type of flagship? were they fully active? which electronics were you using? which subs?

Why is none of this on your website? You're an ID direct company:eek: You went with the revamped site that does not appear updated since it's inception

Sorry to sound harsh, but you guys appear to make some pretty awesome stuff....showcase it!!!!!!!!! There's virtually nothing online regarding your room at rmaf while other small companies are garnering rave reviews.

Yes, this is unfortunately the case. It is a sad thing when the building and engineering take precedence over marketing.

Or is it?

Kind shows that we are interested in great products first and foremost.

The feedback we received from the visitors prove that we have some awesome products.

We are now behind the 8 ball so to speak in terms of getting the information up.

Keep the constructive criticism coming. It is appreciated. We can't get better without knowing what we are doing wrong.

What I would greatly appreciate is some of the people who listened to put up some comments.

That is the sole reason why we went to the show. Exposure.

This is a grassroots type of company. With no pretensions of grandeur or making millions. We want to make great products at a pace that we can maintain the same quality and customer care that has made us a good name in the first place.

With the new speaker line there have been growing pains. The large speaker was finished the night before the drop dead and leave without it date. That is on my shoulders. I made the cabinet, and was behind on the schedule. So blame where it is due.

Stick with us, and I promise a fun ride.

Nathan and I are in serious talks to get the website up to snuff. Just takes a lot of writing and preparation to get it right.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Now to answer some of the questions.

The 8.2 are the MTM towers.

The larger Towers are indeed active.

They have an aggregate of just under 3Kw into the three channels. Not that they need it. They are 100 db/watt efficient. We used that power level because that was what we could get in North America at the time. The power level is insane, but does allow enormous control in transients. We chose the amplifiers that we are using because they have great sound and also exceptional DSP capability. There are a few great sounding amps that are available. But not many that also have the DSP that we wanted. With the combination we use you get clean clear sound with correction capability that makes Audessy look like kindergarten.

We played different tracks, some soft and delicate, some loud and proud. Holst, The Planets, Neptune track is a good example of a combination of those musical qualities, and it was just stunning. From as quiet as can be played to full brass, percussion and organ pedal point. Fun stuff.

But I equally enjoyed small ensemble Baroque music, Jazz and light rock.

As for frequency response. The large towers were measured and tweaked in room flat to 14 hertz. We have absolute control in the response due to the powerful DSP engine we use in the amps. We were able to tweak out serious room anomalies that muddied the sound.

We did not use the subwoofers for the greater part of the show. In fact we added up 10 minutes of use in the three days we were there. The towers have that good of a low end response. The MTM's have enough low end that if you like rock and jazz you will be content with them as they are.

Comments from almost all listeners was that they thought the subs were on whether we played the small two ways or the MTM's. The MTM's have good response to 40 hertz and minus 10 db at 35 hertz. The small two ways are good to just under 50 hertz.

Low end is easy to characterize. It was tuneful. You could follow the bass lines, and there was punch were it was called for. Or as we did with the Tron soundtrack, absolutely a blow you away low end. We could pressurize the room quite well with the larger towers. Nathan ran Tron with the small two ways and the dual 18 monsters. That was so much bass that it was uncomfortable in parts of the room.

When I designed the MTM's and the two ways bass section with Nathan, I was expecting a good but not great response. What we ended up with exceeded both of our expectations.

Imaging is something that is very important to me. I like to be able to localize instruments in their position as recorded. I also appreciate depth in the sound stage. We use a large format planar for good reason. It gives us a good platform of clean upper midrange and highs that are very easy to listen to.

The planar format has good horizontal coverage, and a very controlled vertical pattern that we have used to good effect. It minimizes floor and ceiling bounce. That can be an asset in terms of the you are there effect on a stereo recording. You get more ambiance of the original recording venue then the room you are in if you get your positioning right.

So when we played good acoustic recordings the imaging could be excellent.

I have to admit that we got the small two ways placed pretty good, the MTM's were in a good position, but the large towers could have been placed in a much better position if we had thought it through. I think next years format will be one where we will post times of what will be played where and when. Also putting up a banner that says the company name might help to!

Teething pains!

But that just means that there are better things to come.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The speakers look great, and I would have been with everyone else. Forget the subs play them there big suckers :D

One comment/query, I thought that for demoing multiple speakers in a row you wanted more of an A B C A B C lineup rather than A B C C B A.

pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
I spent about 10 minutes in the Funk room -- it was one of my favorites of the show, but not necessarily because of the sound.

First of all, the two main dudes (Mark and Nathan?) were awesome. Very friendly and welcoming. Mark was happy to take my thumb drive and load up some of my music.

Second, the speakers were visually stunning! I would have bought them based on sight alone. Very impressive.

Third, the sound. This is where I'd say there's room for improvement. As mentioned, the big speakers were just too close together to get any kind of a soundstage going in my opinion. The room overall just felt too small, so it ended up a bit crowded with too much noise to really get a good listen. I played two of my demo tracks (Jason Mraz "I Won't Give Up" and SRV's "Tin Pan Alley". They sounded very good, but to be honest I wasn't blown away. I think that's mostly owing to the setup, not the quality of the system. I recall the bass line in the Mraz song being a little too low in level compared to my own system (although I'll admit I may have room modes and a slightly hot subwoofer setup at home that make the bass more pronounced). I also recall thinking the vocals on the Stevie Ray track being a little too recessed.

Overall, I loved the room and the system. Hopefully next year the setup can be optimized to really showcase what the speakers can do!

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I think we will be at RMAF next year. Second time will be more fun.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis