FTC Amplifier Power Rule finally udated. Takes effect 8/12/24. ONLY TOOK 50 YRS!!!!

D

dcrandon

Audioholic Intern
Here are a couple of interesting tidbits:

It's continuous power
It's at a minimum for only the main L and R channels
It's at 1% THD+N to accommodate tube amps that can't hit the originally proposed 0.1% limit
It doesn't say anything about the rest of the channels of a multi-channel amp
It has to be at least 77 degrees, so you can't test an amp at low temperatures when it cannot put out the power at higher temperatures.
They received lots of informal comments but only a dozen or fewer "formal responses" to the proposed changes over the last four years they have been considering it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Here are a couple of interesting tidbits:

It's continuous power
It's at a minimum for only the main L and R channels
It's at 1% THD+N to accommodate tube amps that can't hit the originally proposed 0.1% limit
It doesn't say anything about the rest of the channels of a multi-channel amp
It has to be at least 77 degrees, so you can't test an amp at low temperatures when it cannot put out the power at higher temperatures.
They received lots of informal comments but only a dozen or fewer "formal responses" to the proposed changes over the last four years they have been considering it.
I think these tube amp designers need to spend less on the shiny finish and attend to business.

It is not true that tube amps can not meet 0.1% THD. D.T.N. Williamson, Peter Walker and Harold J. Leak achieved that with tube amps 77 years ago!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder what there will be in the form of any actual enforcement....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis