Front presence and rear surround at the same time?

Chongdigga

Chongdigga

Audioholic Intern
Yamaha rx-v665 7.2
If I connect 2 speakers to the receivers front presence speaker terminals and go from the rear surround pre out to an external amp then to rear surround speakers (9.2) will it play both presence and rears at the same time in surround or stereo?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Yamaha’s front presence speakers have traditionally been utilized for their proprietary DSP modes (aka digital signal processing), which can be “layered” on top of traditional Dolby Digital et. al. processing. As such the presence speakers will work watching movies if you engage a DSP mode like “70mm Spectacle” selected, and in stereo with a DSP mode like “Jazz Club.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chongdigga

Chongdigga

Audioholic Intern
OK I have it setup for presence and like you said have to use DSP modes to get them to play with movies and with music they play set to 7.2 stereo and DSP modes. Im wondering since its a 7.2 receiver and you have to choose between playing FP or RS (can't power both) will it still send a signal to the RS pre out if I have the FP selected. So I can play movies and music through 9 speakers. Don't have speakers #8&9 or the amp yet so I can't do a test and don't want to buy some if it can't be done.

I just switched to this Yamaha from a pioneer that used height channels but only thru pre outs because it was a 5.1 but i ran an external amp to the heights so really 7.1 but the Yamaha you have to choose one or the other (FP or RS) can it/will it play both with pre outs and an amp? I listen to music more than movies so if it will only play all 9 in stereo then that's fine.

Last edited:
M

markra

Audiophyte
I have same setup, and looks like front presence don't work with rear back rear surrounds at same time even if rears connected by pre out to a seperate amplifier. Probably switched digitally and can't be worked around will do some further testing and report back anymore findings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have same setup, and looks like front presence don't work with rear back rear surrounds at same time even if rears connected by pre out to a seperate amplifier. Probably switched digitally and can't be worked around will do some further testing and report back anymore findings.
That appears to be only capable of processing 7.1 channels at any one time. You can probably setup all 9, and flip back and forth between configurations that employ front vs rear surrounds like that.....what I did when trying to decide on which set of surrounds once.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I think you need a 9-11 channel amp to do this op. ?? Hmm

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis