arcspin

arcspin

Enthusiast
Hi,
I saw the presentation for the new Denon Line up yesterday and I was intrigued by the Front Center Hight capability of those Receivers.

I tried google Front Center Hight but didn't get that many hits regarding the topic.

Have any of you some experience in using Front Center Height channel?
If so, what do you think of the dialogue sound and performance of that extra hight center channel, especially with a +100 inch projector screen?

Except for the new linup and the Denon AVC-X8500H, what other HT prepro/receiver brands have the Front Center Hight channel?

And...Where are the Front Center Hight pre out?
Are you supposes to use one of the (L/R) Height channels for the extra Front Center Height?

Best regards,

//Peter

My setup:
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1909, JRiver MC 26, MadVr 0.92.17 (madVR Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 432.00
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) --- Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85 --- Pre-pro: Marantz 7011 with XTZ Edge A2-300 Power amp for all channels.
Speakers: Linn Majik 109 for Front, Linn Majik 112 for Center, Linn Unik for Front high and surround back. M&K M4T for Surround. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle. Sub: SVS SB-2000 X 2

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I know absolutely ZERO about this function, but would speculate that it uses the CC speaker with the front Tops/heights to phantom image the CC content somewhere between the two.
Seems like Yamahas have “dialogue lift”, that might be similar.

If I’m miles off, sorry. Just taking a shot!

arcspin

arcspin

Enthusiast
No, They do have a dedicated Center Front Height channel/speaker in their layout
(I can't find the "CH" preout channel in the back och the AVC.)

arcspin

arcspin

Enthusiast
And also, in the schematics picture above, it seems like the Center Front Height Speaker should match the Front Hight speakers and not the regular Center speaker?
Is that correct, I thought the Center speakers should be the same.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
Auro uses it, but since it's likely most useful for movies and there are no Auro movies it probably doesn't matter much for that.

For Imax Enhanced, however, it appears it will be used in every mix. So if/when many movies become available with Imax Enhanced (I guess there's still a chance of that) it would be useful. Without it I would expect the material to play from both front heights in order to image between them.

arcspin

arcspin

Enthusiast
Ahhh, so this is utilized when IMAX enhanced movie tracks are being available in the future, so to speak.

I resaw the Denon presentation and they talk about the IMAX Center Front Height here:
The video starts where they speak about Front Center Hight

Still where is the preout?
OR is it simply to pick L or R on one of the Height channels, but that doesn't seem right?

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Auro uses it, but since it's likely most useful for movies and there are no Auro movies it probably doesn't matter much for that.

For Imax Enhanced, however, it appears it will be used in every mix. So if/when many movies become available with Imax Enhanced (I guess there's still a chance of that) it would be useful. Without it I would expect the material to play from both front heights in order to image between them.
I think this like what I was trying to say. It would use front top/height with the cc to phantom image it. Maybe just the top/height though...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Seems like height 3 is for TML and TMR, or CH and TS or FWL and FWR. But, just guessing with no manual available to view.

arcspin

arcspin

Enthusiast
Ahhh, that could be it.
Good catch.

hmmm, does that mean that you have to choose between TML and TMR, or CH and TS or FWL and FWR?

I'm hoping that that is not the case.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure, but I just had an idea. 12.1.12.12.12. Here me out. Use this pic from Denon for reference. I call it Dolby Atmos-Sphere. Get it! You add a center surround and middle surrounds to make 12 channels at ear level. Sub is under butt. Take 12 more speakers and tilt 45 degrees left, take another 12 speakers and tilt 45 degrees right, one more set of 12 at 90 degrees. Sub/Chair module rises into position while all speakers are at 0 degrees and then they move into place. Somebody right this down! Oh, wait...
3EE3B886-726D-4D27-A53A-660BEF623867.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The technical issues are somethin’. The screen is a floating 3D hologram, obviously.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Seems like height 3 is for TML and TMR, or CH and TS or FWL and FWR. But, just guessing with no manual available to view.
Ok, per manual, add SDL and SDR to Height 3 list. That is quite a combination of connections and assignments. I think I'll stick to 5.1 and replace my current AVR with one that has virtualizers cuz', yikes!

arcspin

arcspin

Enthusiast
Height 3 can be used for the CH channel as per the manual.
So that answers that question.

Thank you for your inputs!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis