Frequency Response??

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
Can anyone tell me what the difference say between a FR of 30Hz-50kHz(-6dB) and 60Hz-20KHz(+3dB) .

Thanks Rex

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Rex;

The latter response is with respect to tighter tolerances thus why the bandwidth is more limited. In other words from 60Hz to 20kHz the spec is within +-3dB tolerance meaning the total variance within that bandwidth cannot exceed 6dB total. The former response of 30Hz to 50kHz +-6dB means it can vary up to 12dB total within that bandwidth.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, both specs could have concievebly been derived from the same speaker. The derivation from zero is greater at the extremes.

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
gene said:
Rex;

The latter response is with respect to tighter tolerances thus why the bandwidth is more limited. In other words from 60Hz to 20kHz the spec is within +-3dB tolerance meaning the total variance within that bandwidth cannot exceed 6dB total. The former response of 30Hz to 50kHz +-6dB means it can vary up to 12dB total within that bandwidth.
Thanks, Gene and Understood! So, does it mean between the two, one would be considered better than the other, or does it mean to the ear; it doesnt matter?

Actually, the former was a B&W spec and the latter was a RBH spec. Not sure what I can take from that.

J

joelincoln

Junior Audioholic
You can't tell from this info. These two specs "could" be from the same unit. They are not mutually exclusive.

However, if you're comparing speakers, I'd have to question why one mfg'r is spec'ing his stuff at +/- 6dB when the industry standard is +/- 3dB....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis