France is rotten to the core

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I guess no one anticipated that iPod and iTunes would become forces to reckon with in the digital music scene. Today they represent a monopoly that is keeping prices from dropping and quality from improving. Hopefully this developement will precipitate a global split between iPod and iTunes.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I too went the non-Apple route with my MP3 player. I have a Creative ZenMicro Photo which will play any format except for Apple's proprietory stuff. Nearly all of the music download services use WMA format which is incompatible with the Ipod.

I don't like proprietory technologies that give consumers only one choice.

T

t3031999

Audioholic
The things about the iPod/iTunes monopoly that bother me the most, is when artists release songs exclusively on iTunes. I know other companies have done this, but I have had a grudge against Apple for years.

Also, I hate that you can't download quicktime without iTunes now.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yes! Its about time Apple gave up an unfair hold on the market. Now everyone will buy Creative Zens! HaZaa!

SheepStar

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Also, I hate that you can't download quicktime without iTunes now.
You also can't download Itunes without Quicktime. I don't use either. QuickTime Alternative takes care of all QuickTime functions without running unecessary background processes 24/7.

T

t3031999

Audioholic
Hi Ho said:
You also can't download Itunes without Quicktime. I don't use either. QuickTime Alternative takes care of all QuickTime functions without running unecessary background processes 24/7.
I just downloaded this and it works amazingly compared to quicktime without any of the annoying "Upgrade to PRO" ads. Thank you!

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
agarwalro said:
I guess no one anticipated that iPod and iTunes would become forces to reckon with in the digital music scene. Today they represent a monopoly that is keeping prices from dropping and quality from improving. Hopefully this developement will precipitate a global split between iPod and iTunes.
Actually, it's been quite the opposite so far. Apple has been adamant about keeping songs at $0.99, and the music industry has been pressuring to raise the price to $1.49.

Record companies want to raise iTunes prices

Because iTunes is as popular as it is, the record industry doesn't have as much weight as if it didn't, and can't force a price increase.

You'll find that it's the record companies are a desperate group of greedy individuals trying to cling to a business model that consumers no longer want or need, not Apple.

O

outsider

Audioholic
personally, I'd like to see the services offer either a universal format, or a universal and proprietary format.
Selectable bit rates would also be nice.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
The ironic thing about the artical is it's not accurate. The iPod is compatible with alot of sites out there. If not most. It is also compatible with MP3 which is pretty much the most widely used codec.

Last edited:
Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Another news story at the site says Apple is removing iPods from French stores because they violate a French law that caps personal music devices at 100Db.

"en France la merde roule en descendant pour la Apple, non?"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis