Frame TV 2022 HDMI issues with Yamaha TSR700 receiver

J

Josephwit

Audiophyte
I have a 2020 50" Frame TV in my bedroom, use the TV speakers, love it, works great, no issues.

In the living room, new 65" 2022 Frame TV (amazing!) with a 2021 Yamaha TSR700 receiver and 5.1.2 speaker system. Can't get the HDMI communication to behave! Both units have latest versions of HDMI and ARC, and have latest firmware. Issues:

The receiver turns off when I power off the TV (Frame remote), but does not power on when I turn the TV back on.

The TV keeps resetting sound to "TV speakers" after I select the audio receiver for sound output in Frame TV settings.

The audio is delayed compared to the video when watching TV built-in apps (Netflix, etc). Both the TV and receiver have settings to change the delay to correct this, but they don't do anything.

I have the Frame TV HDMI out connected to the ARC HDMI of the receiver. Only device connected directly to the receiver is turntable, since the receiver has a preamp. For a while, when I select receiver settings, it switched input to the PHONO, though lately it remains on TV.

Really buggy! I have played with all of the HDMI settings on both units for hours and can't get reasonable communication.

Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thanks, Joe

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a 2020 50" Frame TV in my bedroom, use the TV speakers, love it, works great, no issues.

In the living room, new 65" 2022 Frame TV (amazing!) with a 2021 Yamaha TSR700 receiver and 5.1.2 speaker system. Can't get the HDMI communication to behave! Both units have latest versions of HDMI and ARC, and have latest firmware. Issues:

The receiver turns off when I power off the TV (Frame remote), but does not power on when I turn the TV back on.

The TV keeps resetting sound to "TV speakers" after I select the audio receiver for sound output in Frame TV settings.

The audio is delayed compared to the video when watching TV built-in apps (Netflix, etc). Both the TV and receiver have settings to change the delay to correct this, but they don't do anything.

I have the Frame TV HDMI out connected to the ARC HDMI of the receiver. Only device connected directly to the receiver is turntable, since the receiver has a preamp. For a while, when I select receiver settings, it switched input to the PHONO, though lately it remains on TV.

Really buggy! I have played with all of the HDMI settings on both units for hours and can't get reasonable communication.

Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thanks, Joe
What is the TV? I would start by switching off the HDMI CEC control. HDMI unfortunately can be very buggy. Some TVs do not communicate well with receivers.

My suspicion is that it is the TV that is the bad actor in all this. You might have to use a streamer, or HTPC rather then use eARC, so everything is peripherals to receiver and receiver to TV.

J

Josephwit

Audiophyte
Thanks for reply. TV is 65" Samsung Frame TV 2022, released within the last month.
If i turn off HDMI CEC, the receiver no longer turns off when I turn off the TV.
Using TV apps for Netflix and Amazon Prime- thought about an Apple TV HDMI to receiver, but seems more cumbersome - another remote. Is that really 2022 state of the art? I'm a home theater novice, but I just want it to work. Looks amazing and sounds amazing, but really clutzy!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for reply. TV is 65" Samsung Frame TV 2022, released within the last month.
If i turn off HDMI CEC, the receiver no longer turns off when I turn off the TV.
Using TV apps for Netflix and Amazon Prime- thought about an Apple TV HDMI to receiver, but seems more cumbersome - another remote. Is that really 2022 state of the art? I'm a home theater novice, but I just want it to work. Looks amazing and sounds amazing, but really clutzy!
I had guessed that you had a Samsung TV. When we get your type of issue, the TV involved is nearly always Samsung. They seem to have problems implementing HDMI.
I have an LG OLED, and luckily it does not have those kinds of issues.

Did turning off CEC solve the other issues? Having to turn the TV and receiver on and off separately is not a big issue, and what I choose to do.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI-CEC was murder when I used it with my Samsung TV and Yamaha TSR-700. The Yamaha RX-V6A was not much better in this regard when paired with the Samsung.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I see that TV is new. I would recommend that you return it, if you can, and get a Sony or LG TV.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might think about using a universal remote....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis