26oz

Enthusiast
No, that driver does not even go as low as your LM3s, so that is right out.

You will be much further ahead building new boxes with modern drivers. There are now 8" sub drivers that will beat the pants off those old fashioned type of drivers.

Well made long throw drivers are now the order of the day for subs. You blew the last driver and you will blow the next driver unless you use drivers specifically designed for sub use.

The other thing, I bet your enclosure, and the word is enclosure, not encloser by the way, are not properly braced. Modern drivers have to be in a very well braced enclosure or they ring like barrels!

If you want to go DIY, to match the quality of what you have, you need to be looking at driver offerings from outfits like JL audio.

You can get ideas from page 25 of my website. The designs are not in any particular order. They have been put together largely from requests on this forum.

You will need to choose a design with an F3 around 20 Hz other wise you will gain nothing over just running your LM3s without a sub.
Thanks, ya those enclosUres are braced. In my teenage days I built a hundred bass bins for cars, just following manufacture designs never got into design tuning etc... Still have an old pair of 10WD4s, I guess my new project is junking the L569 and building a sub box for my home.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks, ya those enclosUres are braced. In my teenage days I built a hundred bass bins for cars, just following manufacture designs never got into design tuning etc... Still have an old pair of 10WD4s, I guess my new project is junking the L569 and building a sub box for my home.
That sounds like a good plan, and you will be happy if you go that route.

with those LM3 I would leave them full range and bring the sub in around 60 Hz to add the lower reach to the LM3. For that rig don't listen to Lucas labs with their small settings. Set those babies to large always!

26oz

Enthusiast
umm been looking at your designs any suggestions on a good match to my monitors and amp?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
umm been looking at your designs any suggestions on a good match to my monitors and amp?
My first recommendation would be the sub discussed in this thread.

Member Avaserfi has worked out a good plan. This sub has been built by quite a few members of these forums with good results.

The Infinity kappa 12 VQ is no longer available, but you can substitute the JL Audio 12 W7. This is actually a better driver.

If you want a cheaper driver and don't mind an enclosure over 10 cu.ft. then this Dayton 15" driver will work for you.

It has recently been discussed in this thread, and this thread.

Either of these subs should be fine for your situation, but I think the JL audio would be the best, but you will need a 1000 watt amp to drive it properly.

R

R.W.Oliver

Audiophyte
Nice to see these again

been trying to find info on them.

just got lil exerps

"LS/3 where used in high end recording studios such as,Criteria Recording in Miami (BeeGees, Streisand), John Cougar Mellencamp, Rhumba Recording (The Captain & Tenille), the JVC Cutting Centre (direct to disc), etc. etc. The smallest model (LS/2) became standard in most Mobile Trucks."
Hi -I just joined when I saw this post --I built the LS3 speakers--I am curious are the drivers all in good shape?

26oz

Enthusiast
Nice to see these again

Hi -I just joined when I saw this post --I built the LS3 speakers--I am curious are the drivers all in good shape?
7 years later I am in a new home and finally pulled these monsters out of storage, I was just looking through old info and stumbled across this post. Speakers are still amazing, boxes are a little dinged but they sound just as I remember. Still have the issue of replacing the sub, the rcf fills a bit bit have two 10” JLs I am currently building boxes for.
Thank you for creating these, even though they are just speakers they have been a large part of my life.

C

CAVU

Audioholic Intern
I designed those speakers.
I was too abrupt in my previous response years ago.

I was a member of the team that created the RWO/Fostex Laboratory Series Studio Monitors in the late 1970s along with Bob Oliver and Ted Telesky (who later joined JBL).

The mandate for these monitors was accuracy in reproduction: frequency and phase response, power bandwidth, dispersion, dynamic range and low distortion.

The original series was intended for soffit-mounting above studio windows which provided a “half-space” or 2-pi environment.

The low frequency response limit of any loudspeaker is determined by the dimensions of the listening space. So we offered three options for use in vans/mobiles/small studios (LS/2 w/F3=45Hz 116dB SPL), typical/normal size studios (LS/3 w/F3=30Hz 119dB SPL) and for large world-class studios (LS/4 w/F3=19Hz 121dB SPL).

With the exception of the maximum SPL and the low frequency limit, all systems had identical performance.

Before considering replacing any of our handmade woofers with a current off-the-shelf replacement woofer, look again at our efficiency numbers (98-100dB SPL at 1W) with 116-121dB SPL output levels.

If you have any specific questions, I’d be happy to answer them.

Note: these studio monitors are no longer manufactured but previously-owned units can be found. Pricing varies with model and condition but can range as high as $100K+

For full specs and description, see: https://www.facebook.com/InterlakeAudio?mibextid=LQQJ4d

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis