Forest Fire You Can't Fight

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yikes. In California, already 200K acres have burned this year vs. 23k last year at this time. Fire season hasn't even started here yet... So we are likely to have a really bad season.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yikes. In California, already 200K acres have burned this year vs. 23k last year at this time. Fire season hasn't even started here yet... So we are likely to have a really bad season.
The Park Fire is bad. They already caught a suspect who allegedly rolled a car, already alight, into a gully or ravine in the park as the cause of this fire.
As of last night, over 120,000 acres and only 3% containment. Winds and terrain are causing the fire to spread erratically and keeping the fire crews from gaining any ground on containment.

That said, here in Wine Country, tree crews have been working aggressively to clear power lines and utility poles. Can't speak to the rest of the state, but somebody around here is taking things seriously.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
They lost about half of Jasper. Nothing you can do against a 100m tall wall of flame. I didn't know that the pine beetle infestation was that bad up there, so not just climate change contributing to this. We have the same issue with pine beetles in northern Ontario. At least in Jasper they have managed to save most of the infrastructure like the sewage treatment plant and hospital but could you imagine half of your town burning down overnight. :eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They lost about half of Jasper. Nothing you can do against a 100m tall wall of flame. I didn't know that the pine beetle infestation was that bad up there, so not just climate change contributing to this. We have the same issue with pine beetles in northern Ontario. At least in Jasper they have managed to save most of the infrastructure like the sewage treatment plant and hospital but could you imagine half of your town burning down overnight. :eek:
Yes. That is exactly what happened in Paradise up north here, the next town over from my friend's house. 95% of the town burned over night.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Yes. That is exactly what happened in Paradise up north here, the next town over from my friend's house. 95% of the town burned over night.
Wow ! , Was the Camp Fire in 2018, 90% of the homes gone. It was horrible . Now this Park Fire.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
From the latest news, about one-third of the Jasper city structures were completely destroyed.

Last edited:
D

dolynick

Audioholic
The Pine Beetle issue is caused/helped by climate change though. The warm winters aren't killing them off as they normally do so they proliferate. One of those connected consequences of things warming up.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I visited Jasper once, lovely town. So sad. It really sucks when they're started by people....our biggest local fire last year was started by people too (a homeless encampment to my understanding).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Park Fire has now burned over 307,000 acres since Wednesday afternoon. No containment: Fire crews actually lost ground with this fire.
Southerly winds, which are not common, is probably the only thing that has saved Chico, CA thus far.

We have an elderly friend who was going to housesit up in that area. The owners weren’t going to do much more than cover her gas cost up there: she didn’t go. The house no longer exists.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Read two articles, caught a woman and a man that started one fire, and another dude that started another. Two very huge fire's them assholes started.

Edit: Found one of those articles,
I find it hard to comprehend how anyone could be that stupid, but the Rodeo/Chedeski fire in July, 2002 burned ~460K acres- two fires that met, each started by someone who was completely thoughtless- a part-time firefighter thought he might be re-hired if they had something to do and another was a woman who was stranded, thinking that starting a fire might get someone's attention. Well, it did. I drove to PHX during the fire and stayed in Holbrook for the night- a couple of dozen firefighters were staying there and they looked like they had been doing it for weeks. The smoke was visible from many parts of PHX and as I drove home, I could see it all the way from PHX to Flagstaff where 17 meets Hwy 40 and from 40 into New Mexico. I smelled it all the way home and after, it could be smelled for weeks.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Alberta premier fights tears over Canada wildfires despite climate crisis denial | Canada | The Guardian

I'd have more empathy for her if her government wasn't doing everything in their power to avoid measures to address climate change, while making deep cuts into firefighting assets and blaming phantom arsonists for the blazes.
as others have said, so sad. Fond memories of Jasper having ridden through their several times on VIA rail's 'The Canadian', once stopping for a week and renting a cabin right on the Athabasca river.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Park fire is growing. Fortunately, that is a relatively less populated area, but wow. It is about ~40 mi from my former house in Red Bluff. "Fire Devils" aka fire-nados are common where there is fire and wind, and it gets really windy up there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Park fire is growing. Fortunately, that is a relatively less populated area, but wow. It is about ~40 mi from my former house in Red Bluff. "Fire Devils" aka fire-nados are common where there is fire and wind, and it gets really windy up there.

Just watching this about the guy that has been arrested for starting it..... edit: apparently the video isn't availalbe "connection was reset" whatever that means, but a variety of stories on the guy accused of starting the Park fire here in any case https://duckduckgo.com/?q=park+fire+suspect+arrest&atb=v441-1&iax=videos&ia=videos

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My parents are 1hr from Yosemite and a fire broke out in their neighborhood about 1.5 mi away. They said no evacuation order yet as the wind remains in the opposite direction.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Park Fire in CA has grown to 397,629 acres; 4th largest in state history. 24% containment per news report.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis