stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I just got my 50th Anniversary re-release of the grand-daddy of sci-fi flicks, it also happens to be one of my favorites. The copy I bought is not the HD version, I couldn't find it at CC. I paid 22.99, it brings 2 discs: the original movie re-mastered in 5.1 and a black and white movie titled The Invisible Boy in 2.0 sound (totally forgetable, it has Robbie, the movie was done in 1957, a year after Forbidden and they used Robbie since he had become a celeb after Forbidden) I was very disappointed with this release, picture quality is not better than my old (2.0) version probably 10% or so. Sound is only marginally better, I'd say about 15% improvement, don't expect a lot low frequency action, as there is almost none, most of the sound is concentrated towards the front 3 speakers. I had in my hands the "collectors edition" it comes packaged in a tin box, it brings the above DVDs, some collector cards and a Robbie the Robot statue (toy) it's 3.5 inches tall, all for 36.00! In my opinion, it's not worth it unless you collect such things. I'm interested if any one has bought the HD version please post and lets compare notes. I'm hesitant to really recommend this movie if you already own it (2.0), you're not going to get whiz-bang effects, only a really good movie (that you're familiar with) that's been improved in audio clarity and some print clean up, if you're expecting something else you won't be a happy camper. Remember, this is only for the non-HD version.:D

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
stratman said:
I'm hesitant to really recommend this movie if you already own it (2.0), you're not going to get whiz-bang effects, only a really good movie (that you're familiar with) that's been improved in audio clarity and some print clean up, if you're expecting something else you won't be a happy camper.
Thanks for the tip. It is truely the "grand-daddy" of sci-fi flicks and has held up well over the years. I can't wait to show it to my 5 year old kids in another year or two. I let them watch a couple of the Star Wars movies but I think Forbidden Planet will scare them at this age.

majorloser

majorloser

Thank For The Review

Well, I WAS going to buy this :(

I have the original version DVD. I was hoping for at least a better transfer of the picture. This is my FAVORITE sci-fi movie of all time.

I'm with you, what's the HD-DVD version like? Anybody?

Krell technology in HD :rolleyes:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmmm disappointing because I was going to pick this up as well. One of my favorites also. I suppose I'll just hold out on it until it goes on sale, since I don't have a copy of it on DVD.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The first (?) high-budget color sci-fi film. At least the first I'm aware of. The props show up in dozens of 1960s TV shows. This was the movie that made me a sci-fi fan. I have the original.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I'm scared to buy the HD version (to do a comparison) mainly because I haven't bought an HD DVD player (or blue-ray) I'm waiting to see what happens with the formats :confused: and....I believe this title is only available now in HD-DVD:(

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have the original dvd release and really see no reason to double dip. For a movie that is ~50 years old, I was happy with the transfer and sound quality. They could have been a little better, but I don't think they were too bad. Then again, I haven't watched it in a few years. I doubt the extra features are necessary or will improve the dvd much.

I am curious as to how the HD/BR version compares though. If any one with a player gets it, definately let us know.

Jack

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Forbidden Planet Won An Academy For Sound Effects!!

sholling said:
The first (?) high-budget color sci-fi film. At least the first I'm aware of. The props show up in dozens of 1960s TV shows. This was the movie that made me a sci-fi fan. I have the original.
Actually Forbidden Planet was the first movie on the planet to use a full synthesizer. The sound effects were simply out of this world when it was released in 1956. There was nothing even close to it. No one at that time had ever heard a synthesizer. Add color and cinemascope to the mix and you had one of the most costly and well done science fiction movies ever done in the 50's.

Last edited:
mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
stratman said:
I'm waiting to see what happens with the formats :confused: and....I believe this title is only available now in HD-DVD:(
I'm with you Stratman.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
ruadmaa said:
Actually Forbidden Planet was the first movie on the planet to use a full synthesizer. The sound effects were simply out of this world when it was released in 1956. There was nothing even close to it. No one at that time had ever heard a synthesizer. Add color and cinemascope to the mix and you had one of the most costly and well done science fiction movies ever done in the 50's.
Hey ruadmaa,

Was it a synth? I thought that it was a theramin (spelling?) I also thought that the first synth was invented by Dr. Bob Moog? Any keyboard players out there want to chime in? I know the SFX guys were borrowed from Disney but that's about it....I still haven't seen all the special features on my new disc. Interesting.

majorloser

majorloser

Theremin

You are correct, it was a theremin.

"While not enjoying the wide use in classical music performance for which it was originally designed, the instrument found great success as the 'eerie' background sound in countless motion pictures, notably, Spellbound, The Red House, The Lost Weekend, The Spiral Staircase, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Thing (From Another World), The Ten Commandments (the 1956 DeMille film), Ed Wood, Mars Attacks!, and Forbidden Planet. The theremin is used as a melodic solo instrument, rather than as a sound effect, in the soundtracks of Hellboy, Bartleby and Monster House. The DVDs for Ed Wood and Bartleby both contain short features on the theremin." - Wikipedia

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
If I remember this correctly, the guy who invented it was a Russian defector( he migrated to the US), and I believe he was kidnapped by communist agents and never heard from again.

Oh, he was heard from alright, years later it was found out that the guy was a Ruski agent sent here to forego industrial espionage!

Last edited:
B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Ive got the older DVD and asked for the HD for Christmas...it should rock seeing how well the other older titles have translated.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
NO, Forbidden Planet Has A FUll Synthesizer

stratman said:
Hey ruadmaa,

Was it a synth? I thought that it was a theramin (spelling?) I also thought that the first synth was invented by Dr. Bob Moog? Any keyboard players out there want to chime in? I know the SFX guys were borrowed from Disney but that's about it....I still haven't seen all the special features on my new disc. Interesting.
There is no theremin in Forbidden Planet, it is a full fledged synthesizer. No, Moog did not have the first synthesizer (at least not in the movies). The synthesizer work in Forbidden Planet was done by Louis and Bebe Barron. To avoid having to pay music royalties MGM called the sounds "Tonalties". Many of the very strange sounds you hear are actually circuits burning out. If you want to hear a theremin view "It Came From Outer Space" where it is prominent throughout the film.

Incidentally "Cinefantastique" devoted an entire edition to the film which is Volume8 Number2/Volume8 Number3

I know the film collector that purchased the saucer from Forbidden Planet when MGM had a big auction some years ago.

Last edited:
R

ruadmaa

Banned
Sorry, You Lose

majorloser said:
You are correct, it was a theremin.

"While not enjoying the wide use in classical music performance for which it was originally designed, the instrument found great success as the 'eerie' background sound in countless motion pictures, notably, Spellbound, The Red House, The Lost Weekend, The Spiral Staircase, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Thing (From Another World), The Ten Commandments (the 1956 DeMille film), Ed Wood, Mars Attacks!, and Forbidden Planet. The theremin is used as a melodic solo instrument, rather than as a sound effect, in the soundtracks of Hellboy, Bartleby and Monster House. The DVDs for Ed Wood and Bartleby both contain short features on the theremin." - Wikipedia[/QUOTE

You quite simply do not know what you are talking about. There is no theremin in Forbidden Planet. And that's a fact. It is a synthesizer.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Ruadmaa was it a keyboard based synth or just wire plug-ins ? I've heard theramins before, you can still buy one. How much did the guy pay for the saucer? See post by Majorloser, wikipedia (go figure) lists the theamin as instrument used. Oops late post!

Last edited:
R

ruadmaa

Banned
I Can't Answer Your Queston

stratman said:
Ruadmaa was it a keyboard based synth or just wire plug-ins ? I've heard theramins before, you can still buy one. How much did the guy pay for the saucer? See post by Major Looser, wikipedia (go figure) lists the theamin as instrument used. Oops late post!
Most likely it was not a keyboard. The man who purchased the saucer is Wes Shank and he never said how much he paid for it. He also bought a few of the "electronic fences" from the film.

A theramin is not capable of the sounds that are produced in "Forbidden Planet"

majorloser

majorloser

jeffsg4mac said:
Oh man, I have got have me Robby the robot for my collection:) :D http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000HEWEEY/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/002-3723410-5953634 too cool
He's only a few inches tall. There is a Japanese company that makes one about +12" tall. When I find it I'll PM. Not cheap by the way. Has operating lights and moving parts inside the head.

Now if you REALLY want to spend some money, I got a link for a guy out in Cali that hand makes full size replicas with all parts moving and operating.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
majorloser said:
Now if you REALLY want to spend some money, I got a link for a guy out in Cali that hand makes full size replicas with all parts moving and operating.
What are you trying to do? get me into divorce court? :eek: Don't tell me things like that:D the 12in one might be cool though. I still have to get me a chitty chitty car and a time machine too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis