Forbes Puts Disney On Blast

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In a recent article Forbes puts Disney on blast for the mismanaged, disastrous mess Lucasfilm is in right now.

It's about time. Something needs to happen over there. Under current management they almost ran Star Wars into the ground, seemed to get it back on track and now Kennedy is hell bent on burning it back down. There was an investor call last week where Disney ceo had to answer some uncomfortable questions about the situation and, in my opinion, failed to give a satisfactory response to any of them.

I just want Star Wars back. There are forces intentionally trying to bury it and I just want it to stop.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was happy with the original trilogy. Why do we need anymore than that? Not a whole lot that has come out afterward has been amazing.

They should just make movies to tell a good story rather than capitalizing on a franchise. The 'Star Wars' universe isn't a critical ingredient for telling a good story.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Let's just say that for many many reasons I disagree with Forbes's opinion writer and not the last of them is she willingly repeated lies (election fraud etc..) sourced from the former president. And I'm not even talking about her other twit which got her fired. https://nypost.com/2021/02/11/see-gina-caranos-tweets-and-posts-that-got-her-fired/

/politics

As for Disney content - Disney is a MASSIVE conglomerate. People tend to forget that. Believe it or not, LucasArts isn't the biggest subsidiary.

Like any business, their primary goal is to make more money. It's been proven countless times that the risk vs reward is always looking better with sticking with the existing franchise. I am not saying they are right or wrong.
It's just what statistically makes more money.
I know people fanatical about the Marvel superheroes storyline and WILL eat from their spoon practically anything that even remotely Marvel-related. I personally agree with James re: Star Wars, very little value was created after Return of the Jedi in 1983.
Robert Zemeckis famously said that he will block any attempts to reboot BTTF. His story was complete and that is it. No need to disturb it or worse. George Lucas should've been a bit less greedy.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I wear a bib when watching Marvel material. It never stays on the spoon.;) If they wanna’ make a little extra change, release a 4K box set of the theatrical cuts of episodes IV, V and VI. Put episodes I, II and III in the Disney vault and lose the f#%kin’ key.:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you follow Midnight's Edge channel on youtube? He's been roasting them for a while....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you follow Midnight's Edge channel on youtube? He's been roasting them for a while....
Their newest video is what inspired me to start this thread. Politics aside, there's a lot of petty BS going on behind the scenes over there. Not too long ago Pedro Pascal put out a tweet that was very similar to what Gina said and nothing happened with it. I don't care about Pedro's tweet, nor do I think he should have been disciplined. He has a right to speak his mind. I think the same should be said for Gina, but retribution with her was swift and merciless for an almost identical tweet. There's a double standard over there and it's clear there's an agenda that has nothing to do with the core of the story or what the fans actually want to see.

I agree the original trilogy was the pinnacle and the prequels were a stumble, but there were no bad intentions with it as far as I can see, and episode III was actually quite good, imo. There was a lot of fan backlash over the prequels, but it didn't divide the fan base or create the political controversy that's happening right now. There are a TON of ugly rumors floating around Lucasfilm right now, some of which have been demonstrated to be true. I truly believe Kathleen Kennedy has a vendetta against the fans who rejected her version and love what Favreau and Filoni have done with Mando so she's out to tear it down out of pure spite.

One can argue that the original trilogy has yet to be topped or matched, but Mando is a move in the right direction and I want to see more. Isn't that what a movie or show is supposed to do? Leave you wanting more?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I recently re-subbed to Disney to catch up with The Mandalorian and a few other things they have. I enjoyed the Mandalorian a lot more than much of the rest of the SW universe, too. I glanced at the tweets in question and does seem Kennedy and the others in management there may be shooting themselves in the foot for no good reason.....not that I'm a particular fan of Carano's tweets, seems she's a bit thick IMO (as well as her body these days, lol).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre At the law stands today, Twitter/Facebook/Insta/Reddit are commercial entities - Free Speech doesn't apply to these. Maybe it should, maybe it doesn't. Free speech guarantees her right to speak his/her mind in a public place and not be prosecuted for such. Again, this doesn't apply to postings on internet boards.
Gina and Pedro are still free to call TV press conferences and express their opinions.
As for reasons for firing - these should a) apply equally to everyone and (while I didn't check your source) seems like there isn't the case. BUT employment "rights" in the USA are at will. Exactly that it says - Company could easily fire you for violating their policy (did you read in full your current employment contract and employee handbook? I bet Disney's one is longer than most for obvious reasons)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre At the law stands today, Twitter/Facebook/Insta/Reddit are commercial entities - Free Speech doesn't apply to these. Maybe it should, maybe it doesn't. Free speech guarantees her right to speak his/her mind in a public place and not be prosecuted for such. Again, this doesn't apply to postings on internet boards.
Gina and Pedro are still free to call TV press conferences and express their opinions.
As for reasons for firing - these should a) apply equally to everyone and (while I didn't check your source) seems like there isn't the case. BUT employment "rights" in the USA are at will. Exactly that it says - Company could easily fire you for violating their policy (did you read in full your current employment contract and employee handbook? I bet Disney's one is longer than most for obvious reasons)
I don't care about the technicalities. I care about what's fair.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't care about the technicalities. I care about what's fair.
These aren't technicalities. This is the letter of the law. Without laws, we would just be anarchy and chaos.

I however do see your point and it's fair enough (pun intended) - Then be politically active - vote and contact your representatives to support laws you think will enhance fairness in our society.

p.s:
Small Hint: Deregulation, Free Market, and Small Government are usually opposite things to fairness, unless you count fairness to the 0.01% to contain to exploit the rest of the country for their gain.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I recently re-subbed to Disney to catch up with The Mandalorian and a few other things they have. I enjoyed the Mandalorian a lot more than much of the rest of the SW universe, too. I glanced at the tweets in question and does seem Kennedy and the others in management there may be shooting themselves in the foot for no good reason.....not that I'm a particular fan of Carano's tweets, seems she's a bit thick IMO (as well as her body these days, lol).
Yeah, she's gotten a little thick, lol. I've known of Gina for a very long time due to my fascination with combat sports, mainly mma. She was a superstar in mma and broke the ground for the path that Ronda Rousey paved for women in combat sports. She was legit good, but like so many others fell prey to Ronda's devastating arm bar skills.

I don't want to get into the politics of it all, I really don't. I'm in a weird spot because some of my left leaning friends think I lean right while some of my right leaning friends think I'm more liberal... I can't see myself identifying with either. There are good ideas on both sides, and some really stupid ones too...

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These aren't technicalities. This is the letter of the law. Without laws, we would just be anarchy and chaos.

I however do see your point and it's fair enough (pun intended) - Then be politically active - vote and contact your representatives to support laws you think will enhance fairness in our society.

p.s:
Small Hint: Deregulation, Free Market, and Small Government are usually opposite things to fairness, unless you count fairness to the 0.01% to contain to exploit the rest of the country for their gain.
Thank you. I understand what you're saying as well, and that is the way it is. I know you're not wrong.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
She’s a tough one, but not a very good actress. She stunk in Deadpool as well. Disney needs to get a handle on itself. But, a contract is a contract. Your boss might be a ranging a$$hole with an ax to grind and might look over your contract daily to see if you’ve breached it. Shut the f#%k up, do the work, take the money and don’t breach the f#%kin’ contract! Put it in the “tell all” book when you need some dough at the end of your career. Hell, I’m still more torn up over the loss of Nick Nolte’s Kuiil. “I have spoken” will never be uttered by him again.:confused:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your boss might be a ranging a$$hole with an ax to grind and might look over your contract daily to see if you’ve breached it.
I think that sums it up quite succinctly. Only it was ignored when someone else did almost the exact same thing and nothing was made of it. Clearly, policy is not being applied fairly. That's a load of crap in any company. When I worked for a big corporation, policy was to be applied fairly to everyone, and it was enforced. You can't go after one employee because you have an axe to grind for policy violations without going after everyone.

We had a couple of employees who were chronically late, every week, and management decided to do something about it. What happened was we went over all attendance records and everyone in the entire store who had been late in the last few months received counsels for it. Not just the couple who were being targeted. Suddenly everyone is on time again and the chronic offenders eventually found themselves out of a job.

I worked in management for almost 30 years and I can tell you that not only is "shut the fuck up and do your job" just plain shitty, it doesn't fly very well with hr, nor is it a very good way to run your business.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
100% agree. Company policy must apply to everyone equally. Both to CEO or mailroom employee.
Back to Disney, It was wrong to throw the book at one person but to spare others. I guess it was easy to replace her character, but the voice for Mandalorian isn't as easy to replace given he's the main character in the series.
From little I what I heard about Pedro Pascal he's quite a primadonna all by himself.
And his acting in WW84 was if I describe politely can be called subpar.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I hear you about management style. But, when everything else is shitty, all you can do is you. You can continue to do the work you were contracted to do and then never work for them again. The real issue here is a complete lack of professionalism on both sides. It does take two to tango. Don't know the real or whole story here and it's none of my business. Disney has had issues at Marvel and ABC lately as well. Like I said, they need to get a handle on it asap. Seems the great agents are all dead. They use to talk or f#%k the actors off of the ledge and then go blow the producers to get things going again. Hey, it worked. :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
100% agree. Company policy must apply to everyone equally. Both to CEO or mailroom employee.
Back to Disney, It was wrong to throw the book at one person but to spare others. I guess it was easy to replace her character, but the voice for Mandalorian isn't as easy to replace given he's the main character in the series.
From little I what I heard about Pedro Pascal he's quite a primadonna all by himself.
And his acting in WW84 was if I describe politely can be called subpar.
Oh god, his performance in WW84 was so bad, lol. I've seen quite a bit about Pedro creating problems on set and making things difficult too. He was unhappy about his lack of face time on the show, and getting upstaged by a puppet, lol. After the last episode in the series that might have become a non issue.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I was happy with the original trilogy. Why do we need anymore than that? Not a whole lot that has come out afterward has been amazing.

They should just make movies to tell a good story rather than capitalizing on a franchise. The 'Star Wars' universe isn't a critical ingredient for telling a good story.
Agreed. They could have ended it after the original trilogy and I would have been ok with it. Then again we would never have met Jar Jar :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
IMHO, people need to shut up and do their jobs. Sure, folks can, and should have, their opinions. However, if your boss doesn't like something you said publicly, don't get all pissy when it bites you. Should this apply to all? 100% yes.

Disney has, and probably always will be, a shady company. Yes, they're in it to make money, but they've done some quite questionable things, and recently.

You can't pretend to hold the moral high ground as a company, the proceed to do the things they do.

James Gunn is another sh!tty thing they did.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis