Following the article about the 750$ recommended 5.1 Home Theater Components - I have questions to experts.

CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf

Enthusiast
Hi, my name is Zachary, I am new here. I am from Ukraine. Thanks for being so awesome guys :)

After reading that article:

I have several questions for experts willing to answer them of course. I've gone through FAQ and more on the forums to not being the jerk asking common knowledge questions. Thank you so much in advance for the answers.

I have a certain audio system (that's a PC 5.1 HTIB) connected to my PC, which is connected to my HDTV through HDMI, and my PC is used as a media player instead of dedicated Blu Ray player (it's in the next room to my watching room and I use TV as one of the monitors).
Thus, the sound is processed by an integrated sound card in my motherboard (Realtek ALC887 @ ATI SB750), and decoded by MPC-HC audio codecs.

The audio system is F&D F6000u

I have used a dB measurement app to calibrate it for my room and make all satellites (center front and rear) to provide similar dB levels at the point where my ears are while viewing the movies
I want to switch to an A/V receiver now.

The question is, my room area is about 170 sq feet

I never use the full volume at my audio system and usually watch movies at about 80 dB

The bass is enough for me

I live in a highrise so the question of the volume is important for my neighbors

Thus, finally, the question is, will I here the tremendous difference in sound quality and overall feeling from switching to a recommended speakers from the article Dayton MK442 and the Subwoofer Dayton Audio SUB 1000?

And to Onkyo TX-NR686 as an A/V receiver (the choice is partially because I need Chromecast built-in as a feature).

Input audio for movies: Dolby Atmos HD audio tracks, DTS HD-MA

Additionally, I wanted to ask if you can recommend good up firing budget Dolby Atmos speakers in the range of 50-60$ per speaker? I want to build a 5.1.2 system.

Also, can the recommended speaker setup from the article be compared to this:

That's a PDF file with the datasheet for Onkyo SKS-HT588 5.1.2-Channel Home Cinema Speaker System

Thank you in advance again for the answers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi, my name is Zachary, I am new here. I am from Ukraine. Thanks for being so awesome guys :)

After reading that article:

I have several questions for experts willing to answer them of course. I've gone through FAQ and more on the forums to not being the jerk asking common knowledge questions. Thank you so much in advance for the answers.

I have a certain audio system (that's a PC 5.1 HTIB) connected to my PC, which is connected to my HDTV through HDMI, and my PC is used as a media player instead of dedicated Blu Ray player (it's in the next room to my watching room and I use TV as one of the monitors).
Thus, the sound is processed by an integrated sound card in my motherboard (Realtek ALC887 @ ATI SB750), and decoded by MPC-HC audio codecs.

The audio system is F&D F6000u

I have used a dB measurement app to calibrate it for my room and make all satellites (center front and rear) to provide similar dB levels at the point where my ears are while viewing the movies
I want to switch to an A/V receiver now.

The question is, my room area is about 170 sq feet

I never use the full volume at my audio system and usually watch movies at about 80 dB

The bass is enough for me

I live in a highrise so the question of the volume is important for my neighbors

Thus, finally, the question is, will I here the tremendous difference in sound quality and overall feeling from switching to a recommended speakers from the article Dayton MK442 and the Subwoofer Dayton Audio SUB 1000?

And to Onkyo TX-NR686 as an A/V receiver (the choice is partially because I need Chromecast built-in as a feature).

Input audio for movies: Dolby Atmos HD audio tracks, DTS HD-MA

Additionally, I wanted to ask if you can recommend good up firing budget Dolby Atmos speakers in the range of 50-60$ per speaker? I want to build a 5.1.2 system.

Also, can the recommended speaker setup from the article be compared to this:

That's a PDF file with the datasheet for Onkyo SKS-HT588 5.1.2-Channel Home Cinema Speaker System

Thank you in advance again for the answers.
I would guess that the Dayton MK speakers are better than the Onkyos, but I could not say how much since I don't know a lot about the Onkyo speakers. There is no doubt the build quality would be better. I would play it safe and just get the Dayton speakers. If you don't need loud, you could probably just get the new MK402X speakers instead of the MK442.

As for upfiring speakers, the problem is that small speakers tend to have a very wide dispersion. That means that there is a good chance that any upfiring speaker that would fit your criteria would probably end up with too much sound hitting you from a direct route rather than a reflected route, and that would ruin the Atmos height effect. If I were you, I would try to mount a normal speaker at an very high point on the wall rather than use an upfiring speaker. If you can't do that, just skip Atmos altogether, or else you may have worse sound than not having done Atmos at all.

CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf

Enthusiast
Thanks for the answer. My main question is is it worth it to pursue the speakers and receiver in the first place judging from my small room area and the absence of the necessarily high volumes?

Also, will that receiver (Denon AVR-S750H) be enough to build a 5.1.2 system with the 4 Dayton MK402x, mk442 as central channel, Dayton sub-1000 as sub, and some 2 other speakers (looking to SVS Prime Elevation) (positioned close to the ceiling and pointed to the listener as the Atmos speakers)? If you have any recommendations about the Atmos speakers, I will gladly hear them. Sorry for the exhaustingly long questions, I am a real noob in regards to the audio topic.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the answer. My main question is is it worth it to pursue the speakers and receiver in the first place judging from my small room area and the absence of the necessarily high volumes?

Also, will that receiver (Denon AVR-S750H) be enough to build a 5.1.2 system with the 4 Dayton MK402x, mk442 as central channel, Dayton sub-1000 as sub, and some 2 other speakers (looking to SVS Prime Elevation) (positioned close to the ceiling and pointed to the listener as the Atmos speakers)? If you have any recommendations about the Atmos speakers, I will gladly hear them. Sorry for the exhaustingly long questions, I am a real noob in regards to the audio topic.
I think that a receiver and speakers can still be worth it in that you get better sound quality, even if you don't get to play it that loud. Plus, receivers have lots of features and flexibility that other solutions do not have. I think that Denon should work well for your intended set up and listening criteria. I think those SVS Elevation speakers are a good choice in your situation too; much better than reflecting 'Atmos-enabled' speakers that are so common.

CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf

Enthusiast
I think that a receiver and speakers can still be worth it in that you get better sound quality, even if you don't get to play it that loud. Plus, receivers have lots of features and flexibility that other solutions do not have. I think that Denon should work well for your intended set up and listening criteria. I think those SVS Elevation speakers are a good choice in your situation too; much better than reflecting 'Atmos-enabled' speakers that are so common.
Thank you so much for your answer. Will start ordering soon. It's a long way from Amazon USA, we do not have Dayton Audio suppliers here in Ukraine. We do have DENON, however, it's 240$ pricier than on Amazon :) and SVS is clearly overpriced here, I can purchase ONE speaker for the price of two on Amazon USA :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH. :)

Are you a local in Ukraine or just live there now? Probably the first member from there. :)

CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf

Enthusiast
I was born in Ukraine, and thus, yes, I am local here :) Thanks for the welcome :) I think that yes, I can be the first and only one from Ukraine :)))

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I was born in Ukraine, and thus, yes, I am local here :) Thanks for the welcome :) I think that yes, I can be the first and only one from Ukraine :)))
Were you educated abroad? Your English is excellent. Or, is that Google translation. ;)

CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf

Enthusiast
No, unfortunately Google translate is not so excellent right now :) It's way better than it was some years ago though. I was always fond of English starting from my school years. Then, my father found a Macintosh PC for me somewhere :) I had to study the thickest manual I've seen in my life :) In English. I learned. Then, after University I started to work for some academic papers writing company. And that was where I honed my writing skills :) APA, MLA, Chicago style, I can definitely help with citations :)) Haha

Then, I started selling on Amazon, as a third party seller, and that was when my spoken English got better. I now provide reinstatement and consulting services for Amazon sellers and constantly calling attorneys, law firms, suppliers, Amazon support, and so on, thus improving the language skills every day :) I also read in English a lot, and watch a lot of shows and movies in English on Netflix. I even read Shakespeare's original texts. I consider most of his plays somewhat shitty drama by the way :)

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
Гарно говориш англіскою! Я колись жив в україні, щоб вчитися але я з сша. Добре побачити українці в цьому сайтію. Тримайся!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Гарно говориш англіскою! Я колись жив в україні, щоб вчитися але я з сша. Добре побачити українці в цьому сайтію. Тримайся!
Thank you. :)
Translation:
You speak good English! I once lived in Ukraine to study but I am from the United States. Good to see Ukrainians on this site. Hold on!

CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf

Enthusiast
A follow up question. Can someone recommend the elevation speakers like the SVS Prime Elevation but a little cheaper? Like about 50-60 per speaker?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A follow up question. Can someone recommend the elevation speakers like the SVS Prime Elevation but a little cheaper? Like about 50-60 per speaker?
You could probably use the Dayton MK402X speakers if you can find a mount that will angle them to aim at your listening position.

CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf

Enthusiast
You could probably use the Dayton MK402X speakers if you can find a mount that will angle them to aim at your listening position.
How do you think will there be a crazy sound quality difference between those and the SVS? I mean, not the audiophile levels of minuscule difference in quality, but the difference which a usual layman can here? :) Thanks, by the way

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How do you think will there be a crazy sound quality difference between those and the SVS? I mean, not the audiophile levels of minuscule difference in quality, but the difference which a usual layman can here? :) Thanks, by the way
The SVS speakers were probably designed to compensate for the diffraction that will invevitably occur when you place a speaker so close to nearby surfaces, but then there is only so much that can be done to mitigate that effect. It's not optimal, but it's probably not a big deal so long as you have the speakers aimed at your listening position. My guess is that it will sound fine.

CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf

Enthusiast
Hi again, judging from that data for the speakers:
  • Dayton Audio MK442 (as Front, Left, Center and Surround): Woofer: Dual 4" treated paper cone with 4-layer coil; Tweeter: 3/4" soft dome with ferrofluid cooling; Power handling: 80W RMS/160W max; Impedance: 4 ohms; Response: 60 Hz to 20,000 Hz; Sensitivity: 86 dB 1W/1m
  • Dayton Audio MK402x (as 2 front up to the ceiling Atmos Speakers): Woofer: 4" high excursion treated paper cone; Tweeter: 3/4" soft dome; Power handling: 40W RMS/80W max; Impedance: 4 ohms; Response: 60 Hz to 20,000 Hz; Sensitivity: 84 dB 1W/1m
Will Denon AVR-S750H be able to drive them all (I am not aiming at full volume), I aim at about 80-85 Db max
  • Denon Amp Specs: 75W per channel @ 8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% distortion, 2ch driven
I am asking that because of the inadequate understanding. I believe it is a little bit underpowered for the MK442s but well enough for MK402x to play them at full volume. Please help me on that one. Thank you for your response, and your time in advance.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That AVR is fine for those speakers. Don't pay attention to power handling specs on speakers, they don't usually mean very much.

For the MK442 speakers, they don't have a very wide vertical dispersion if tilted upright, so make sure you are listening on the tweeter's axis.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hi again, judging from that data for the speakers:
  • Dayton Audio MK442 (as Front, Left, Center and Surround): Woofer: Dual 4" treated paper cone with 4-layer coil; Tweeter: 3/4" soft dome with ferrofluid cooling; Power handling: 80W RMS/160W max; Impedance: 4 ohms; Response: 60 Hz to 20,000 Hz; Sensitivity: 86 dB 1W/1m
  • Dayton Audio MK402x (as 2 front up to the ceiling Atmos Speakers): Woofer: 4" high excursion treated paper cone; Tweeter: 3/4" soft dome; Power handling: 40W RMS/80W max; Impedance: 4 ohms; Response: 60 Hz to 20,000 Hz; Sensitivity: 84 dB 1W/1m
Will Denon AVR-S750H be able to drive them all (I am not aiming at full volume), I aim at about 80-85 Db max
  • Denon Amp Specs: 75W per channel @ 8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% distortion, 2ch driven
I am asking that because of the inadequate understanding. I believe it is a little bit underpowered for the MK442s but well enough for MK402x to play them at full volume. Please help me on that one. Thank you for your response, and your time in advance.

I don't think you'll have a problem. 75 watts is more than enough to drive either of those speakers to 85 dB. The MK402 has lower sensitivity, but if you check out an online SPL calculator, they can reach 92 dB at a distance of 15 feet with 75 watts of power being sent to them. So, unless your seating distance is really really far away, you should be fine.

CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf

Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses, guys. My sitting position is about nine feet to the front and center speakers. Front left, and right are toed-in at the couch. Unfortunately, my couch is against the back wall (due to the wife factor, I cannot change that fact). Thus, I have lowered the subwoofer's volume a little. I have my surround speakers on the wall behind the couch; they are toed-in and tilted from up to aim at the listening position, but not directly. I have a thick rug thrown in front of the couch. Thanks again for the responses. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis