Focupix HDVio Electric Screen with RF Remote

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We were more than skeptical when we first heard of the Focupix electric screens. Their retail price hovered around $799 for a 104-inch screen, however the typical street price was just $329.99. With a retail drop-off that steep we wondered how on earth anyone could pack enough equipment into the box to make this screen actually function. It turns out these electric screens must be easier to make than I thought. The overall quality and performance of the Focupix HDVio screen had us rethinking what an electric screen should truly cost the average consumer.

Discuss "Focupix HDVio Electric Screen with RF Remote" here. Read the article.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
My real concern with ALL electric screens is tension and flatness over time. This unit seems to be devoid of any screen tensioning features which, IMO, is a must for one to consider even using one. Every electric screen I have ever seen seems to lose its flatness over time and begins to curl at the edges or twist without tensioning solutions.

I realize that the price is very affordable and may even be considered a disposable screen at this price but only time will tell. I'm surprised no mention of this was made in the review.

R

rrehart

Enthusiast
RF option

This screen is very interesting to me. The only thing I'd point out to the author is that you can easily get around the RF only by using a Logitech Harmony 890pro or 1000 series universal remote. I have the 890 and it works great for RF.

Ultimately those remotes trigger IR signals from the base. Are you saying that Harmony's database will allow you to learn or select from RF-based remotes/devices so that the Harmony will control an RF-based product directly?

This would be news to me.

Westcott: I kinda agree with the "disposable" comment, but in either case I hadn't used the screen long enough to see if it suffered from curling. If consistently rolled up after use this should minimize the effects. I would guess that some curling is inevitable, however there is a huge price difference when you jump to tab-tensioned - something I consider to be a completely different product/price category.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would really love to see a review of the Screen Inovations tab-tensioned screens over something that lacks this required feature. The only advantage you get with an electric screen over a manual screen is the motor - and when a screen develops waves in the fabric, as is ALWAYS the case with non-tensioned screens, it basically becomes trash. While there are plenty of people willing to drop nearly $400 for something they will be throwing away in a year or two, many more would rather spend $100 on a manual screen, and should be told to do so, and then use the $300 they save for an upgrade in some other area... Like picking up a Blu-ray player to take advantage of HD at that size.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
You can pick up an Elite Cinetension 2 screen for only a very slight increase in street price. I agree with BMXRIX that if you don't want to invest in a tension system than you should just get $100 manual screen...however, you can get a tension system for a VERY competitive price now.

N

neokeelo

Audiophyte
I just purchased the 110" screen. I will post some pictures after I receive it and get it installed.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Did you get the tab-tensioned version? I'm really interested in hearing about how you do/don't like it. I put up one of their fixed frame screens and while the quality of the entire thing was nowhere near what Carada delivers, it was good for those on really tight budgets.

N

neokeelo

Audiophyte
No I purchased the regular 110 grey one.

This one --? Product Code: FHV169AX-110-GY

I think if I keep it rolled up most of the time I wont get any waves for a very long time. It seems like waves develop more on manual pull down screens. I hope this is the case.

W

westcott

Audioholic General

I think if I keep it rolled up most of the time I wont get any waves for a very long time. It seems like waves develop more on manual pull down screens. I hope this is the case.
Wow, I thought my memory was failing or Alzheimers was kicking in early until I checked the original dates. This thread is almost exactly a year old!!!!

Man, don't scare us old people like that. Our weak hearts can barely operate a remote.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord

No, this is not the case. Rolling a screen up, or leaving it down full time has no bearing on it getting waves in the material. Non-tensioned screens get waves in them 100% of the time. They can have waves out of the box, or they will typically start to get waves within the first twelve months of use.

This is across the board, from every single screen that I have seen over the past ten years and is consistent with reports given by others who have owned electric and manual screens as well.

There are some BETTER non-tensioned screens out there, but they are often in the same price range as the tensioned Focupix or an Elite tensioned model.

While you did get a good price, you will get waves in that screen and that will make the screen a fair bit worse than just using a wall to project onto in due time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis