Focal Electra 1028 be vs Aria 948

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
I can't believe I was looking at a pair of KEF R3's back in November. Moved, was looking at R7's, Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Aria 936's...

Then located brand new 1028be's for about the same as the open box at Music Direct. Didn't want to go above $3k really, but how could you pass that up?

Well, I did. They had a pair of Kanta No2 on the floor for 40% off. Ivory/Walnut. o_O

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
My speakers arrived a couple of days ago - and of course! my Adcom GFA-555 gave up the ghost about 7 seconds after they were hooked up (it worked fine on a test run with AudioEngines). I guess it is 25 years old and spent 15 in storage. Yes, checked/swapped fuses, cables etc., left channel is d.e.d.

I've asked Beelzebub my ex if she can at least let one of the neighbor kids grab my BATs and bring them over. If I have to wait until the "all clear" I'll go bonkers. I'll buy a home theater receiver for future use elsewhere if I need to. She used to wrestle around 50lb boxes of clay, so a 50lb amp should be easy enough to carry downstairs to the front door, right? ;)

Anyway, I see that A4L has gotten some refurb Kanta's in, $6k/pair! Great deal. They seem to be polarizing as far as looks, but I think they're stunning. As expected, the ivory/walnut is very different from the product photos - just like the KEF R series in walnut looks nothing like their pictures. They're basically a white (not taupe) baffle, and the walnut is more subtle/pale. I'd like to say recommended! but, can't until I can hear more than one speaker for a few days.

[Edit] as soon as I typed this I got a text that one of the kids is indeed, bringing over my amp and preamp! Whoo-hoo! Music after 4.5 years!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My speakers arrived a couple of days ago - and of course! my Adcom GFA-555 gave up the ghost about 7 seconds after they were hooked up (it worked fine on a test run with AudioEngines). I guess it is 25 years old and spent 15 in storage. Yes, checked/swapped fuses, cables etc., left channel is d.e.d.

I've asked Beelzebub my ex if she can at least let one of the neighbor kids grab my BATs and bring them over. If I have to wait until the "all clear" I'll go bonkers. I'll buy a home theater receiver for future use elsewhere if I need to. She used to wrestle around 50lb boxes of clay, so a 50lb amp should be easy enough to carry downstairs to the front door, right? ;)

Anyway, I see that A4L has gotten some refurb Kanta's in, $6k/pair! Great deal. They seem to be polarizing as far as looks, but I think they're stunning. As expected, the ivory/walnut is very different from the product photos - just like the KEF R series in walnut looks nothing like their pictures. They're basically a white (not taupe) baffle, and the walnut is more subtle/pale. I'd like to say recommended! but, can't until I can hear more than one speaker for a few days.

[Edit] as soon as I typed this I got a text that one of the kids is indeed, bringing over my amp and preamp! Whoo-hoo! Music after 4.5 years!
My 555 lasted a few years longer than yours, also only lost one channel. It may be an easy fix and that amps has a very simple design and low parts count iirc. Unfortunately I was busy in those years, so I put it in the basement and it got lost from there.:( Anyway I hope they will sound better to you than the R3s, and I wouldn't hook them up to some cheap and/or old amps. You don't want to blow up $6K too quickly.:D

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
My 555 lasted a few years longer than yours, also only lost one channel. It may be an easy fix and that amps has a very simple design and low parts count iirc. Unfortunately I was busy in those years, so I put it in the basement and it got lost from there.:( Anyway I hope they will sound better to you than the R3s, and I wouldn't hook them up to some cheap and/or old amps. You don't want to blow up $6K too quickly.:D
My BAT gear arrived just minutes ago, I'm still doing my happy dance. I'll probably look at getting the amp repaired, not so sure about the preamp. Corrosion has done its job, get crackling with every knob. It's going to be weird with the gear just sitting on the floor (I was set up better in college) but I'll have tunes, that's the most important part! And, I have to figure out which room and where!

Once the lockdown is lifted (in CA anyway) I can hire movers to get my LP's, CD's, and the rest of my gear. But, it's a start!
IMG_1887.jpg

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
Hmmm. We’ll see.

Hope I made the right decision. Bought the 1028be’s (black—Open Box all they had). I’ve had them 4 days now and they sound good.

But I haven’t had the chance to really air them out if you know what I mean.

I’m coming from a pair of Buchardt Audio S400’s that while great for their size, just didn’t cut it for my room. High ceilings, open to the kitchen. Before that I had Zu Audio Dirty Weekend. (filled the room but I kept saying to myself “I think that I’ve hear that recording sound better.”)

So I started my odyssey in December, right around Christmas week. And I didn’t even have Focal within the radar. In fact, I was dead set on B&W 702 S2. I only heard them 2X, both at Best Buy. And I’ll admit they had the COOL LOOK factor going for them. And that took a little while to get over.

Meantime, I kept watching videos from Upscale Audio. I noticed they sold many brands. Many. And at the same time, I begin to read/hear about possible listening fatigue from B&W’s. I know about that from the days of Warfdale, Cerwin-Vega, etc. Yea, I’ve been around and all over the place.

As I began to check into the fatigue issue/non-issue regarding the B&W’s I kept seeing Focal pop up in discussion groups. This took me back to the car stereo days. I remember Focal was (probably still is) a major player in very nice sounding car speakers. It was one of those “you can get Pioneer or CW or even JBL, but when you have a bit more money you should look at Focal.

Started looking at the Focal but didn’t like the look of the Aria, and fell upon another Upscale Audio YOUTUBE with this Kevin Deal guy preaching about the importance of a larger mid-range driver. That discussion appealed to me. In fact, I was stuck on mid-range driver discussions for several weeks. And with the COVID19 shut-in/shutdown, I actually was stuck! Reading, watching. Kept asking myself how important a singer’s voice or music tone do I really listen in the mid-range? MOST ALL!! Oh, and I have to say—really an influencer—I talked to a guy, Brian? From Overture Audio. Very knowledgeable, very patient, easy to talk to. Well, he inadvertently sold me on the 1028. During a discussion on the B&W 702 and Focal Aria, I asked about Focal 1028/1038. He said those are not current speakers and they are a higher level speaker.

I was done.

Picked up the Focal 1028be from Music Direct sight unseen. With nary a listening session.

So far, this is one thing I know. They sound good late at night at low volume. We’ll see. I’m usually slow to really get to a Oh Yea, moment.

Photo shows Parasound A21 and Denon 3808ci (steering for home theater), and REL T9 sub—(just FAB!)

Thanks, this group helped my decision.

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
Congrats!!!! :D

LOL, Kevin could sell ketchup popcicles to an old lady in white gloves. The large midrange driver only makes sense until he's trying to sell a little one, but as a general rule it's applicable.

Don't sell short speakers that can play quietly. I've heard plenty of explanations on this and the physics and psychology behind it. Still, some speaker drivers need so much juice to start to work well.

Normally, when I hear people accuse a speaker of being shrill, bright, harsh etc. it's piqued my interest. My Thiels could be accused of this - and indeed they were (on some material). Until I paired them with the right components. Focals won't play nice just because, but they do play nice.

I'll actually need to talk myself into the Kanta's, because the 1028be's are awesome. They are some of the nicest speakers I've heard, and my brief audition many years ago still made me lean towards Focal a decade later. Indeed, they were the flagship between entry level and Utopia until just recently.

The W driver technology is crazy. So much so in fact it's why they moved to flax (no matter what Kevin Deal says). The glass drivers have to be hand assembled, where the flax can be mass produced. There's a reason they still have them on the Sopra, and haven't moved to flax (yet). They're clean, fast and dynamic. I'd even venture to guess they'll outperform the flax at volume. That's where I had my issue, I really wanted the W drivers, but the 3rd generation be tweeter.

I'd have been delighted with either, I'm sure. BTW, for those interested, dedicatedaudio.com has the 1028 NIB for $4300/pr (black). A4L has Kanta refurbs for $6k/pr, which is excellent!

Focal used to OEM back in the day, I believe the only people they still build for is the tweeter for Wilson's speakers. They do still do car audio, just no cars I'm going to be affording any time soon!

Enjoy! Check in after you've gotten them broken in! Supposedly they get a bit of a break in, but expect around 200 hours or so to really start pumping.

[edit] Ah! pics just appeared! SWEET! LOL, that Nakamichi brings back memories! Wonder where mine is?

I dragged an old table out of the garage - I started putting the gear on top of Home Depot moving boxes, but decided to go first class. Once I've determined the location I'll figure out what kind of furniture or built-in.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Before I auditioned the 1028 Be I was impressed with the B&W 802 D (the original diamond). Decided on the Focal for the much lower price and the 802 Ds were too big and heavy for my room anyway. No regret so far, though my DIY BMRs at a little more than 1/4 the cost could come very close in transparency but only in the mid and high range. I think you are going to enjoy them, pretty hard not to like the 1028 Be's SQ and look.

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
So far about an album side in I'm pretty impressed and they sound exactly as I'd imagined. That Focal voicing is so sweet! Of course, I can't get any furniture until the lockdown is over, although a big area rug for my living room arrived, so it'll probably come out here until the really big one shows up. Painting will be happening soon, so I can get the drapes up.

Now I've got to figure this whole streaming thing out - I'm thoroughly confused. At least I had a bunch or ripped CD's and ripped a few more, so that should keep me a little entertained. I'm sorry most of it is "driving" music. I'm playing Ambrosia Somewhere I've Never Traveled, and the Alan Parson's production is just nuts.
upstairs-4070.jpg
downstairs-4072.jpg

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
So far about an album side in I'm pretty impressed and they sound exactly as I'd imagined. That Focal voicing is so sweet! Of course, I can't get any furniture until the lockdown is over, although a big area rug for my living room arrived, so it'll probably come out here until the really big one shows up. Painting will be happening soon, so I can get the drapes up.

Now I've got to figure this whole streaming thing out - I'm thoroughly confused. At least I had a bunch or ripped CD's and ripped a few more, so that should keep me a little entertained. I'm sorry most of it is "driving" music. I'm playing Ambrosia Somewhere I've Never Traveled, and the Alan Parson's production is just nuts.View attachment 35484View attachment 35485
Sweet looking! As to streaming, I just stream via Amazon HD Music off of my laptop. Sounds great and I can find most anything on there. Now listening to Somewhere I've Never Traveled. I love their One Eighty album, which has great sound quality.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I'm being sorely tempted to pick up a set of Electra 1038 Be, but I want to first upgrade my DAC. My DAC has terrible measurments, according to ASR.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I'm being sorely tempted to pick up a set of Electra 1038 Be, but I want to first upgrade my DAC. My DAC has terrible measurments, according to ASR.
Which DAC is that ?

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
So far about an album side in I'm pretty impressed and they sound exactly as I'd imagined. That Focal voicing is so sweet!
Glad you're loving them. Same way I feel about my 1028Bes ..if "sweet" can be used. ;-)
Nice setup - looks Cool! Congrats...am sure you'll enjoy those, for years to come.

Now I've got to figure this whole streaming thing out - I'm thoroughly confused.
Care to elaborate on the confusion ?

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
Glad you're loving them. Same way I feel about my 1028Bes ..if "sweet" can be used. ;-)
Nice setup - looks Cool! Congrats...am sure you'll enjoy those, for years to come.

Care to elaborate on the confusion ?
Thanks, I hope these speakers last as long as my Thiels, which I bought in the early 90's. It's weird as heck buying something online without doing demos for days/weeks. Especially for this kind of coin! But, I knew the Focal "sound" and darned if they don't sound the way I remember. I've had B+W's as well, and that can be a very compelling sound I can definitely live with. I tend to favor speakers that are bright, but not analytical. I'm often bored by silk domes. And I gotta admit, listening to the brass at the end of that Ambrosia album got me hot to get some jazz pumping on these things!

I have an Aurender N100H. I'm just figuring out how to use the conductor app. Supposedly, I can get Amazon HQ on it by using Apple Airplay (?). It has Tidal and Qobuz, but if I can get Amazon functioning I'd prefer that as my first option. Any clues you can throw an old guy would be appreciated! I've never used Apple Airplay, nor Tidal, Qobuz... Oh, and I can use the Aurender as a Roon endpoint whatever that means. Thanks!

Get off my lawn!

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I'll actually need to talk myself into the Kanta's, because the 1028be's are awesome. They are some of the nicest speakers I've heard, and my brief audition many years ago still made me lean towards Focal a decade later. Indeed, they were the flagship between entry level and Utopia until just recently.

The W driver technology is crazy. So much so in fact it's why they moved to flax (no matter what Kevin Deal says). The glass drivers have to be hand assembled, where the flax can be mass produced. There's a reason they still have them on the Sopra, and haven't moved to flax (yet). They're clean, fast and dynamic. I'd even venture to guess they'll outperform the flax at volume. That's where I had my issue, I really wanted the W drivers, but the 3rd generation be tweeter.
I'd think so - W being superior (& more expensive to produce) to Flax drivers .., reason why their higher end models still have them.

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
Wow, what nice looking setup! Congrats on the new speakers.
Thanks! Thanks to all of this forum.

Now (yea, it never is completely over...), Now, I'm about to start a NEW odyssey. Although I wanted the Parasound for at least 10 yrs, there was a little birdie in the back of my mind always referring Class A amp. "Always on, therefore sound is better, the sound is pure, you don't know how much you are missing 'til you hear one." I am/have always been intrigued. Downers= heavy VERY HOT, very expensive. Oh well, here I go! It's a Journey not a suit hung in a closet!

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
I'd think so - W being superior (& more expensive to produce) to Flax drivers .., reason why their higher end models still have them.
I can tell the difference right off the bat. They have a softer sound, and at least at the moment don't strike me being as dynamic as the W's. I'm not sure if that's disappointment or not, but it wasn't unexpected. And something I thought long and hard about. If Flax was better, we'd see it on the Sopra. And if we do see it on the Sopras, I'd wager it's a cost savings measure. The 1028be's come off as being more a monitor at this point.

I also took a bit of a gamble because as you can see, I live in a giant cave. Taming the big room is going to be a huge undertaking. So, the 1028's might have been a bit overbearing. In the end, a bit of a tradeoff.

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
Thanks! Thanks to all of this forum.

Now (yea, it never is completely over...), Now, I'm about to start a NEW odyssey. Although I wanted the Parasound for at least 10 yrs, there was a little birdie in the back of my mind always referring Class A amp. "Always on, therefore sound is better, the sound is pure, you don't know how much you are missing 'til you hear one." I am/have always been intrigued. Downers= heavy VERY HOT, very expensive. Oh well, here I go! It's a Journey not a suit hung in a closet!
One of the things I got right in audio was spending my big bucks on the electronics. Normally people advise getting the best speakers you can. But I've always found that tends to get folks on the speaker carousel. You hear the biggest difference between speakers, but any decent speaker will really show off what you're pushing them with.

Whether or not class A is the way to go (been there, done that) I've never seen anybody sad they spent a king's ransom on their amp/preamp. But I've seen lots of speaker regret. I for one enjoyed not having to worry when looking for new speakers if they dipped down to 3ohms or not!

Listen to the birdie!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis