Focal Aria 926 or Svs ultra

M

mi_bhatt

Audiophyte
I am new to the forum and need help with selection between Svs Ultra and Focal aria 926 towers. I am mostly going with SvS ultra towers and surround with Svs Pb 4000 woofer. Now I am confused after looking at adorama deal on 926 for 4400$. Cant post the link. It's on slickdeals

I will appreciate your feedback.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I can't help you as I have never heard the Focal Aria's. All I know is they have a pretty good reputation.
However, I can post the link!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have not heard the Focals, but know they have a good rep. I own the Ultra towers tho and I love them. They're large speakers and legitimately dig very deep. Solid down to 30 Hz with authority and it's balanced, with no artificial sounding exaggerated frequencies or boominess.

They're a very neutral speaker with a top notch tweeter that's easy to listen to for long sessions and it has air and good detail. The midrange drivers and crossovers are of high quality and very well implemented (I've had them apart). I've never heard them misbehavenever or bottom out at full range I've had them louder than what's safe for more than a few minutes, lol.

The cabinetry is rock solid and I like the trapezoidal shape and piano gloss black look. They're big and heavy (75 lbs?),which can be a knock, but I have a large room and the space for them so they work out great for me. There's a pretty good disparity in price between the 2. I'd want to hear the Focals before making any kind of commitment at that price. With SVS you have a 45 day trial period and can send them back on their dime for any reason so there's that. You could order the Ultras and if you don't like 'em the Focals might still be there. Like I said tho, I'd want to hear them at that price.

*Edit: I was thinking you meant $4400 for a single pair of Focal towers vs a single pair of Ultra towers... wow. Duh! That said I stand by my Ultras, and SVS is fantastic to deal with.

Last edited:
M

mi_bhatt

Audiophyte
Thank you all for your feedback. I did a demo of SVS Ultra towers and surround system and like it very much and will buy them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you all for your feedback. I did a demo of SVS Ultra towers and surround system and like it very much and will buy them.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm very happy with my Ultra setup!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Where did you find to demo these?
Is SVS referring you to a customer in your area or is BestBuy selling Ultra speakers now?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Where did you find to demo these?
Is SVS referring you to a customer in your area or is BestBuy selling Ultra speakers now?
Or maybe he pulled the trigger and went for the 45 day trial run?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I thought magnolia stores carried them.
Maybe ... I have seen several SVS subs, but never a SVS speaker (not that I get to BB more than around once a year).
I figured that they decided to keep the Ultras out of their show rooms so they can sell speakers that don't sound as good with higher profit margins!

Edit: Nevermind! It appears that they do carry them!
See post #13 below!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have seen several SVS subs, but never a SVS speaker ( not that I get to BB more than around once a year).
I figured that they decided to keep the Ultras out of their show rooms so they can sell speakers that don't sound as good with higher profit margins!
Yeah, they have the speakers now too. Last time I was in they were pushing the Prime Pinnacles, but had Ultras as well.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That is a very nice measurement set, better than what I would have expected from Focal.
?
What is you exposure/experience with Focal?
Upon reflection I realize I have mainly heard their top end stuff, so I kind of have the opposite expectation!

I have heard and was disappointed by their Superbirds, but they seem like a "lifestyle speaker", so I didn't give it much weight!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
?
What is you exposure/experience with Focal?
Upon reflection I realize I have mainly heard their top end stuff, so I kind of have the opposite expectation!

I have heard and was disappointed by their Superbirds, but they seem like a "lifestyle speaker", so I didn't give it much weight!
I have only heard them at dealers and trade shows. They have always sounded fine to me, but I didn't stay around long to critically listen.

M

mi_bhatt

Audiophyte
I went to one of the SVS dealer who had setup Ultra surround system for Demo.He gave the demo going back and forth with all the different SVS woofer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I went to one of the SVS dealer who had setup Ultra surround system for Demo.He gave the demo going back and forth with all the different SVS woofer.
So he was in control of all setup rather than you? I don't trust dealers myself....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis