Focal 726 vs NHT Absolute Tower vs Monitor RX6 vs PSB Image T6

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
People always say that, don't they? :D The latest is always better, especially if you buy them; then they are much, much better with improved soundstage, more precise imaging, clarity, and air, and all that blah, blah, blah. :D

One guy told me at first that he couldn't tell the difference between the 802D2 vs 800D2 (neither could I). But a year later he bought the 800D2, and now all of the sudden the 800D2 is just so much better than the 802D2. :D

Like the Revel Performa3 is just so much better than the Performa2. And so every newer speaker model from every brand is just so much better than the previous. :D
Well, it's newer it absolutely positively has to be better. Especially when it costs more.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Well, I ordered the receiver. Still deciding on speakers, I'm thinking of the NHT Classic 4, or possibly the Boston M340, could get a bit of a deal on the Boston, and the NHT's are 20% off, the Boston's are nice in regards to their size, haven't heard them yet but will in the next couple of days. Anyone have any experience with the M series? I can't seem to find any reviews or really any forum posts even. I know I'm getting into the price class of some pretty nice ID speakers in addition to NHT, and I still have the absolute towers in the back of my mind, hard to beat those at 800 a pair.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Primus, you meant the 362/3? Those things sound fine with simple stuff but not that good with orchestral music, I wouldn't compare them with any Focal floor standing speakers at all. That's just my opinion/experience.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Thought I would give an update that I just brought the 726 V's home along with the 700 center. It seems that the V series has been updated and now it is just the 700 series no V.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thought I would give an update that I just brought the 726 V's home along with the 700 center. It seems that the V series has been updated and now it is just the 700 series no V.
I thought you decided on the NHT. Can't go wrong with either anyway. Please let us know how they sound in your own home.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I thought you decided on the NHT. Can't go wrong with either anyway. Please let us know how they sound in your own home.
I was considering moving my budget up to get the classic 4's, which would have put me in another price class, essentially starting the search again. In the end I knew I couldn't go wrong either way and just decided to go with the bigger drivers and get the Focal over the Absolute tower and also keep within my original budget.

It's funny but in the back of my mind I was also thinking hey in 5 to 10 years when I move, I won't feel too guilty upgrading, whereas if I went over my budget now, I'd have to really jump up in price class and therefore I wouldn't upgrade, and upgrading is almost as much fun as listening.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Finally got everything set up, a pain as a new receiver and a turntable were added to the mix. So had to move everything in the TV stand around, and of course turntable setup can be a pain. It's a little difficult to do a direct comparison to the Pioneers I was using as I'm currently listening to the turntable and of course a new receiver is in the mix, and to top it off the speakers have no break in time. All I can say is I am truly enjoying vinyl in pure direct mode. It's too late, to say much more especially after moving 50 pound speakers 6 inches here, 6 inches there then trying to detect a difference in sound.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Hard to give a complete review yet as I'm still keeping the volume fairly low, except for a couple times when I cheated. Most of my listening has been vinyl in pure direct mode. I can say that it sure does feel like there is more bass than the 49 Hz listed in the specs. The highs are excellent, especially for the price.

My main complaint at this point in time is the stability, I'm guessing the plinth was eliminated in going from the 800 to the 700 series to reduce price, but on my carpet even with the carpet spikes, the speakers are rather wobbly. Certainly not a deal breaker as I'm not planning on slapping my speakers around any time soon, but you'd think for $600, $900 original price they'd be more stable. The Pioneers FS52's that they are replacing were more stable and certainly not in the same category price wise, nor sound wise, so my complaint here is really a minor one, but annoying nonetheless.

I've only used the center for TV watching, and some digital cable music listening, no real home theater. What I can say is the center blends seamlessly with the towers when listening to multi channel music, again with no room correction as I've yet to even run it.

All in all, unless something unexpected happens during the rest of the break in they are definitely keepers.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
First off, I have been remiss in not thanking those people who have chimed in with their valued opinions. Even though speakers are ultimately what sounds best to you, it's nice to get other impressions, and it's just plain fun to talk about audio. So thank you to anyone who posted their opinion and/or posted pictures, it was a great help.

I was able to get around to dealers and listen to all of the speakers on my list but the NHT's. Of course listening in a store is never the same as listening at home.

I've been living with the Focals for a week now, which for how much I've left them on is a meaningful break in period for those that believe in break in. While my latest speakers are the Pioneer FS52 and comparing them to the 726V's is really not fair, I do have some KEF iq series bookshelves that are more of a fair comparison especially using a sub with the KEF's.

Of course my opinion is just one persons, and probably biased because after all I did choose these speakers. I can say that the off axis listening of the towers is fantastic compared to my other speakers and anything else I've listened to in store that I was able to get off axis with, but the off axis performance of the center is only acceptable, naturally to be expected with the design of the center, but still disappointing.

What I'm enjoying with the Focals is they sound good with all kinds of music, while I was using the KEF's as my main listening speakers, I shied away from poorly recorded material especially something like Metallica. The sound was just awful, while with the Focals, it is listenable to without cringing. The speakers do not color the music and make me say wow, they just make it so that if I really want to listen to some older material I can.

While listening to crooners for lack of a better term, no I'm not old enough for it to be my music, but tonight I've been listening to some Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Nat King Cole. I really found that the midrange on the towers is excellent. The male voices come through better than I've heard on any of the speakers I've either owned or auditioned. While I do not listen to this type of music often it sounds so good, that I can really say these speakers are keepers, and I may have to dig around for some old vinyl.

Are the speakers perfect, by no means like I said the off axis performance of the center is only adequate, although it does blend seamlessly with the towers, and on axis performance is definitely good. The bass of the towers is definitely a weak point in that they do not go very low, but what bass is there is enjoyable and it does seem like it goes lower than the specs. The bass is not a negative for me as I live in a second floor apartment and I do not want to annoy my downstairs neighbor and I also do not like too much bass in my music. If you do, a musical sub is a must.

I can write more, but I am not a professional reviewer by any means, nor have I sat down to listen critically as I've only really pushed the speakers tonight.

However, if anyone has been thinking about the 700 series, or speakers in their price range I recommend putting them on your list.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis