Focal 1038 Be v2 vs Kanta 2

R

rriv16

Audiophyte
Hi all,
First post here. I’m looking for some advice on Focal speakers.

I recently came across a good deal for both Focal 1038 Be v2 - 4700USD (open box) - and Kanta 2 (new) - 5800USD. I tried them both at a dealer and liked more the 1038. My impression was that the Kanta were definitely more detailed on higher frequencies and midrange but the 1038s had fuller sound (obviously being bigger) and a larger stage. I took the 1038 home for trial and indeed they are really good, however they sounded slightly too warm for my taste. My room is quite bright and full of hard surfaces but I tried to do everything I could fo to dampen the lower frequencies (carpets, curtain and so), it’s still slightly too much. In my opinion, the Kantas, since they have 2 instead of 3 bass drivers and are smaller would be less warm. At the same time, there will be a loss of stage and the sound will not be as full in my room. Unfortunately I can’t try the Kantas at home before making a decision since they were sold (after I listened to them) and new ones will take a couple of weeks to arrive. BUT I don’t want to miss the deal!!

So my questions are: A/ are my assumptions correct about the differences in sound/expectations about the two speakers? B/ would the Kanta be worth the extra 1000 USD? C/ would you buy an open box speaker (1038be) without knowing for how long they were used at the shop?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd think they were similar that different, but for only 1k difference, I'd take the Kanta.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You compared them both at the same time at the same dealer with same electronics setup (and VOLUME)?

R

rriv16

Audiophyte
You are correct yes but the room was significantly different than mine being a proper listening room. You would not expect the differences I described between the two?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The Kanta 2 @ 5800 is an insane deal, find out what he sells the Sopra 2s for? White finish.

Where is your dealer located?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis