Fluance Signature Series 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Fluance Signature Series Hi-Fi Three-Way Floorstanding speakers were recently relaunched after significant improvements were made to its crossover. This large tower speaker uses two 8" woofers, a fiber-woven 5.25" midwoofer, and a silk-dome tweeter in a wave-guide, and it promises serious bass extension well below 40 Hz. This impressive driver array is set in a gloss black front baffle with some stylish touches that belie the very affordable speaker cost. Initial enthusiasm about the earlier version of the Signature Floorstanding speakers gave way to mixed reactions due to a problematic crossover, but we have the redesigned version in our hands. So, let's see how it performs in our listening tests and subjective measurements to determine if this is the best $700 deal for tower speakers today.

Read: Fluance Signature Series 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers Review

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
... so let's see how it performs in our listening tests and subjective measurements...
s/subjective/objective/

@shadyJ: excellent review as always. Thanks again for your continued attention to detail in performing your measurements.

Do you think employing MCACC would result in a more neutral response for real-world application?

Did Fluance know this pair was going to be reviewed, or are you reasonably confident the sample you received is likely representative of what any other customer might receive?

At the very least, it appears the sample you measured had its mid driver wired in the correct phase. It seems Fluance has indeed improved on the Signatures with their re-release.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It is just good to hear that Fluance has fixed the crossover problems quite effectively. The question is, however, how many of their customers still have the faulty ones? I am NOT a tower guy, but do admit these intrigue me. Sure like how they look! Very nice review. Great job Fluance!

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
s/subjective/objective/

@shadyJ: excellent review as always. Thanks again for your continued attention to detail in performing your measurements.

Do you think employing MCACC would result in a more neutral response for real-world application?

Did Fluance know this pair was going to be reviewed, or are you reasonably confident the sample you received is likely representative of what any other customer might receive?

At the very least, it appears the sample you measured had its mid driver wired in the correct phase. It seems Fluance has indeed improved on the Signatures with their re-release.
Its possible MCACC would lift the high frequencies a bit, but many autoEQ routines still chase after the X-curve, so who knows how much it would really be lifted. I didn't run MCACC with the Fluance speakers. To be honest, I prefer the system with MCACC off regardless of what speakers I am running.

Fluance knew we were going to review the sample they sent us, and I am fairly certain they did not send us something that isn't a production model.

R

Rootman

Audiophyte
I'm not trying to be a troll or anything, but having bought and listened to high end audio equipment for most of my 60 years(OK, I started at age 10), I know of no one that would ever listen to their rig set out in their driveway, 4 feet off the ground!!!! Unless of course, you are having a field party, like Woodstock!!!! So why run listening tests on stuff out there????

If you want real world stats, use real world listening conditions. I get that not everyone has the same environment....but, I grant you NO one on this man's earth listens out on the driveway to a high end rig on a regular basis, eh???? Enough already with the empirical data!!!!!

Just my two cents after reading and seeing the Fluance speaker review. BTW. I am not listening to BOSE 901's or such. I'm a tube guy with VTL stuff and Maggies and other things. Just saying boyzzzz!!!!

Happy New Year!!!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I'm not trying to be a troll or anything, but having bought and listened to high end audio equipment for most of my 60 years(OK, I started at age 10), I know of no one that would ever listen to their rig set out in their driveway, 4 feet off the ground!!!! Unless of course, you are having a field party, like Woodstock!!!! So why run listening tests on stuff out there????

If you want real world stats, use real world listening conditions. I get that not everyone has the same environment....but, I grant you NO one on this man's earth listens out on the driveway to a high end rig on a regular basis, eh???? Enough already with the empirical data!!!!!

Just my two cents after reading and seeing the Fluance speaker review. BTW. I am not listening to BOSE 901's or such. I'm a tube guy with VTL stuff and Maggies and other things. Just saying boyzzzz!!!!

Happy New Year!!!
The reviewer wasn't conducting listening tests out there on the driveway. He was taking quasi-anechoic measurements. His setup allowed more resolution into the lower frequencies to give a better idea of the inherent bass capability of the speaker. As for the listening environment, as is stated in the article: "In my approximately 24’ by 13’ listening room, I set up the speakers with equal stand-off distances between the backwall and sidewall................."

R

Rootman

Audiophyte
The reviewer wasn't conducting listening tests out there on the driveway. He was taking quasi-anechoic measurements. His setup allowed more resolution into the lower frequencies to give a better idea of the inherent bass capability of the speaker. As for the listening environment, as is stated in the article: "In my approximately 24’ by 13’ listening room, I set up the speakers with equal stand-off distances between the backwall and sidewall................."
Very Quasi... I'm not trying to be overly critical and get what he's doing.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Very Quasi... I'm not trying to be overly critical and get what he's doing.
I guess I'm not understanding what your objection is. Would you also say that Harman shouldn't test their speakers in an anechoic chamber because people don't listen to speakers in anechoic chambers? If so, I think you're misunderstanding the point of measurements like this. They're just intended to sort out the inherent response of the speaker from room effects.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis